Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Helton

Are CATIII Autolands runway dependent?

My ability to perform a CATIII autoland is inconsistent even though I seem to be following the same steps every time: (1) enter the ILS frequency from the selected runway in the FMS into both nav radios, (2) set the course on both course nobs, (3) enter runway length and elevation into the HGS,and (4) set autorbakes and arm the speed breaks. I then capture the localizer and hit APR in the MCP.  Finally, I arm both left and right CMD buttons.

After following those steps, most of my landings are still single channel.  I should be seeing CMD followed by land3 at 1500 AGL.  The only thing I can think of is that the PMDG FMS somehow knows which runways are CATIII equipped and which are not?

Sort of. But yes, some airports have the equipment that an aircraft requires for a CAT III landing, but others do not. What airports are you attempting a CAT III landing at?

Hi,

In which mode is the HGS once you have entered the elevation?

To get the land 3 indication on the PFD you need both autopilots, three inertial sources and the associated sensors operating normally as per the FCOM v2 (page 4.20.5).

You also need the aircraft to be certified fail-operational autoland.

Do you any message on the EICAS (No land 3...)?

There is a kind of confusion here. Cat III and autoland are two different things. CATIII is a category of approach (ILS CAT III).

Autoland is a design and capability of the aircraft that allows the FMS to land the plane on itself.

You can land manually after CAT III approach and you can technically autoland after other approach than ILS CAT II or CAT III.

When I say "technically", I mean the aircraft is capable of, without considering the pilot decision upon other factors.

The FMS doesn't sense the airport equipment to determine whether it can perform an autoland or not. 

Whatever the approach is, as long as you don't receive the warning message No autoland, you are technically good to go for the aircraft FMS. Off course, I don't talk about signal reliability or declared LVP... but just from the point of view of the FMS.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Forgive me if I make a great wrong statement here, but the equipment don't differ from CAT I to CATIIIb, what differs is the protection zones and backup requirements. You can autoland on a CAT I runway, but you aren't assured that nothing will interfere in the same way as during a CAT III, same goes for a CAT III runway as long as Low visibility procedures are not in force.

in FSX everything is the same and there shouldn't be any difference other then the limits we put on our self.

So the NGX should react the same as long as the runway has an ILS.

Typically, at least 3 things need to be certified capable before you can conduct Autoland ops - the pilots, the runway and the airplane.

So

- Make sure you know what to do and what to expect by reading the Intro, FCT and FCO manuals that came with the NGX. Also search YouTube.

- Make sure you are tuned to the right ILS frequency and that the runway is CATIII capable.

- Make sure the airplane autopilot is Fail - Operational.

Brian Nellis

Let me clarify.  I am talking about Autoland, and Kristoffer has clarified that all ILS runways are essentially the same in FSX.  Therefore, it has to be a configuration error on my part.  The HGS goes to ARM III as soon as I dial both nav radios to the same frequency.  Instead of CMD down the glideslope, I get single channel.  Maybe it is a fail operational issue.  I will collect more data and report back.

• Upvote 1

I just flew the 31L ILS at KJFK.  I made sure fail operational was set through the operations center and capture glideslope before localizer was set to allow.  To prepare for landing, I dialed the ILS frequency into both nav radios and set it as the active frequency, entered the length and elevation into the HGS which set ARM III, set the course, brakes, and spoilers, and made sure both FD's were turned on.  After intercepting the localizer, I hit approach in the MCP and activated both CMD buttons. As per usual, this changed the green CMD signal to the yellow Single Channel followed by NO AUTOLAND around 1500 AGL.  I can't figure out what I'm missing.

capture glideslope before localizer was set to allow
It's the other way. Localizer then glideslope. Don't ever capture the glideslope before you have captured the localizer. See page 74 of the Introduction manual.

Sounds like the second autopilot isn't engaging.

-Do it all again with one autopilot.

-Wait until you have VOR/LOC and G/S annunciated on the FMA and you are descending to the runway, then,

-at 2000ft HAT, hit the second autopilot.

-at 1200ft HAT, make sure ROLLOUT and FLARE is armed (below G/S in white writing)

- at 1000ft HAT, make sure VOR/LOC, G/S and LAND 3 are annunciated.

Report results here.

Brian Nellis

Hi.

In reality a runway does not need to be CATII/III equipped to conduct an Autoland in the 738, the aircraft can do it on just a standard CAT I ILS.

Again company specific but we're permitted to conduct a PRACTICE CAT II/III to an unprotected runway with visibility 1500m or greater and a cloud base 500ft or higher.

As I always stress this is specific to the company I operate for, it might be different with other operators. A practice Autoland is usually conducted because we need to at least to complete one before our 6 monthly sim check.

Forgive me if I make a great wrong statement here, but the equipment don't differ from CAT I to CATIIIb, what differs is the protection zones and backup requirements. You can autoland on a CAT I runway, but you aren't assured that nothing will interfere in the same way as during a CAT III, same goes for a CAT III runway as long as Low visibility procedures are not in force.

in FSX everything is the same and there shouldn't be any difference other then the limits we put on our self.

So the NGX should react the same as long as the runway has an ILS.

Exactly what this chap said!

Here is short video of how it sort of should be done. I've been far away from the keyboard over the festive season, so I might have frayed a bit, procedurally. But I managed to achieve the desired result... a Fail Operational Autoland. I would have added the link to my comment above, but I am unable to edit it :(

https://youtu.be/ElqQU_-lhDw

Brian Nellis

I just flew the 31L ILS at KJFK.  I made sure fail operational was set through the operations center and capture glideslope before localizer was set to allow.  To prepare for landing, I dialed the ILS frequency into both nav radios and set it as the active frequency, entered the length and elevation into the HGS which set ARM III, set the course, brakes, and spoilers, and made sure both FD's were turned on.  After intercepting the localizer, I hit approach in the MCP and activated both CMD buttons. As per usual, this changed the green CMD signal to the yellow Single Channel followed by NO AUTOLAND around 1500 AGL.  I can't figure out what I'm missing.

I'm willing to bet that there's something you're leaving out in your setup, or you're being inconsistent in how you're setting everything up. It might be worth flying the first tutorial a few times to get into a habit of doing certain things at certain times to give you the best possible shot at getting everything right. If you don't by a certain point, the aircraft will give you the NO AUTOLAND message, realistically.

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi.

In reality a runway does not need to be CATII/III equipped to conduct an Autoland in the 738, the aircraft can do it on just a standard CAT I ILS.

Again company specific but we're permitted to conduct a PRACTICE CAT II/III to an unprotected runway with visibility 1500m or greater and a cloud base 500ft or higher.

As I always stress this is specific to the company I operate for, it might be different with other operators. A practice Autoland is usually conducted because we need to at least to complete one before our 6 monthly sim check.

Exactly what this chap said!

Hi sam great to see you having some input around here. Keep it up!

Vernon Howells

Hi all,

feel a need to add:

- Fail Op autopilot is NOT required for automatic landing (only for rollout)

- HGS is NOT required for automatic landing and it DOES NOT matter if it's set up, and how.

- Runways in FS world are all perfectly precise ILS wise and will support an autoland as long as there is an actual ILS.

- If the option is installed, Glideslope CAN be capured before localizer.

- Have both radios definitely set to the same frequency and show the same indications - crosscheck this! Same course ideally as well. And attach second AP soon enough (as soon as you click on APP)

All true.

However

- OP is trying for CAT III, *usually* a fail-op capable aircraft,

- OP is using the HGS (usually buys lower minima for other approach types)

- Second a/p engagement is down to SOP. A company manual might have a 'engage before xxxxft'.

I guess the OP has figured out his problem or is working through the manuals? I wonder how he's going...

Brian Nellis