Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Mesh

So I've always wondered how does one fix mesh issues with their payware airports if you use this? Or is this just for people that use default airports only?

So I've always wondered how does one fix mesh issues with their payware airports if you use this? Or is this just for people that use default airports only?

I have a combination of payware and freeware airports and haven't encountered any mesh issues to date. If you do happen to haveany problems, there is good support on their site.

Hi guys

I have P3D and FSX on the same SSD drive with Freemesh installed on FSX. Can I just use this mesh for P3D by adding the Freemesh installed on FSX into my P3D library?

Many thanks

John

Not 100% sure as i have never tried this, however I have my folder on a separate 3.0 external hard-drive to save space on my SSD. This works no problem so as your folder is contained on the same SSD i doubt you'll have any problem either. Just go to your Addon Scenery menu in P3D and point it to the folder in FSX where the files are stored.

Ian S

38.jpg

Can I just use this mesh for P3D by adding the Freemesh installed on FSX into my P3D library

I would hazard a guess and say that you can.

Another +1 for FreemeshX its a huge improvement over default and I have not seen any issues with it at all.

I am just interested in the US NA part right now so do I just download the part I need and the installer installs it in P3D?

Well, I'll tell you now that you would have to wait for USA improvements. North America only does Canada and Greenland at the moment until the USA expansion is out.

The USA expansion is special and uses a much higher LOD, and for that reason I have to be extra careful with it and mitigate the plateau/pit issue that occurs with high-resolution terrain.

No use releasing something if it makes airports look screwy.

However, there are good U.S. meshes for sale if you'd prefer to get one sooner :)

Hi guys

I have P3D and FSX on the same SSD drive with Freemesh installed on FSX. Can I just use this mesh for P3D by adding the Freemesh installed on FSX into my P3D library?

Many thanks

John

Yes. That works fine. That's how I do it.

I also use FreemeshX - it is great.

Has anyone had a problem with the Asia region though?  For some reason, every time I download the Asia packs I encounter an issue with opening the zipfiles.

Make sure you're only extracting the first volume only, and that all four volumes are in the same folder. 7-Zip will automatically extract the other volume when it extracts the first volume.

Cheers for the kind comments, folks. I'd never thought I'd see 80,000+ downloads of FreeMeshX. It was just a side project for myself.

Thanks Daniel, I did not know that about USA portion. I'll probably just get some payware Mesh.

Regards

Lamar Wright

So Daniel let me ask,

Are you actually going through airports and correcting the plateau/valley effect for each airport? 

I see some simmers here stating they are seeing no issues with your mesh.  I would be in amazement if  the 1,000's of airports were being adjust to your mesh resolution? 

Definitely want to try your mesh when it comes out for the USA.  Currently using Genesis 10m mesh for entire USA which looks superb except for airports where there a cliffs and valleys.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

So Daniel let me ask,

Are you actually going through airports and correcting the plateau/valley effect for each airport? 

I see some simmers here stating they are seeing no issues with your mesh.  I would be in amazement if  the 1,000's of airports were being adjust to your mesh resolution? 

Definitely want to try your mesh when it comes out for the USA.  Currently using Genesis 10m mesh for entire USA which looks superb except for airports where there a cliffs and valleys.

Hi Clutch,

No, I don't go through each airport and hand correct it. That would be just too much work for this man.

I think the FreeMeshX Global mesh has been working well because of the airport, river, and lake elevation corrections that comes with FTX Vectors. FTX Vectors is designed to work only with SRTM based mesh sets, and FreeMeshX Global is for the most part, SRTM-based. They just work so well together hand in hand.

However, with the USA expansion, the mesh resolution is going to be 10-m, and that is a huge upgrade from the stock 38-m. With that comes a tradeoff. There is so much variation in the higher-res terrain, little ups and downs that just don't work well with the flat airport limitation in FSX/P3D airports. Some airports will have one end raised on a plateau, and the other end will be in a valley. Definitely a pain the butt. If I were to release the USA expansion as now, it will make the mountains beautiful, but at the cost of making the airports ugly. Even with FTX Vector corrections. I could get away with it in the Global release. But it's not an optimal method for the USA. So I have to work on an alternative solution, and that's why FMX - USA is taking its time.

ORBX can hand blend in their airports in their FTX regions and airports. But we don't have the resources for that. So we will have to get creative. I'm trying to work ways in which the airports surroundings are blended in with the surrounding terrain with some success. If I can just put some more time in it, I can really get the ball rolling!

• Upvote 1

Here's a nice review Pilots! FSGlobal Mesh 2010 on AVSim that explains the level of detail (LOD):

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0210/Pilots/FSGlobal.htm

I think that it's an overgeneralization to say that terrain mesh never affects performance. That really depends on the mesh used, the mesh setting in the sim UI and the geographic location of the aircraft. In a flat area of the US for example, most 3rd party meshes won't provide any additional resolution over the default mesh. 3rd party meshes really shine where either they have replaced low LOD mesh in an area of the globe with a higher LOD version or the terrain is steeply sloped.

Make sure you're only extracting the first volume only, and that all four volumes are in the same folder. 7-Zip will automatically extract the other volume when it extracts the first volume.

Cheers for the kind comments, folks. I'd never thought I'd see 80,000+ downloads of FreeMeshX. It was just a side project for myself.

thanks Daniel