Sign in to follow this  

3D Water Adjustments for P3D V3.1

Hi Kevin, they both (Xplane/P3D) use the same sundog SDK ... read more about Sundog (Triton) here: http://sundog-soft.com/sds/  ... only difference is Xplane use Sundog's clouds SDK which P3D does not.  In fact, if you look at Sundog's own demo video you'll notice tiling of waves.  To reduce the tiling (repetition) one needs much larger maps which will be a huge performance hit be it OpenGL or DX11.1.

I'll continue adjusting the settings to see if I can come up with a more flat ocean where the tiling is less obvious.  Also trying to reduce the shimmering ... but that may need to come from LM.

Cheers, Rob.

Hello Rob,

Just curious if there's been any progress on this?  I changed my settings to no effect for water but still leaving the reflections and this comes much closer to X-Plane than High or Ultra setting, at least to my eyes.  This seems to allow the reflections to show better.  The water still looks a little too "glossy" or "glassy" if that makes sense?  And, the only place I miss the waves is when the sun is at the right angle and reflected off the water at relatively low altitudes.  That's where I think we should still see waves, albeit still not the 50 foot waves that a lot of others seem to want/think is real.  I'm watching a Just Planes video right now where there's lots of flights over water/ocean and you rarely see waves at all.  Since both platforms use the same sundog sdk, you'd think it'd be possible then to get closer to what X-Plane does, right?

I can't seem to find what each setting does again in P3Dv3.  Does anyone have a link or explanation for the different water settings and what they do?  I know ultra has the full 3D effects but what do the other settings add/remove?

Anyway, as has been said elsewhere on these forums and I believe even in its own thread recently, Thank you so much for all that you do for our hobby, Rob!!!

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Just curious if there's been any progress on this?

I'll experiment some more when I can free up some time ... maybe this weekend, but don't hold me to it.

There are other items that can be enabled thru Sundog's Triton SDK, but they are currently not supported ... but be aware the more visuals LM add the more hardware CPU and GPU it's going to need.  So as new features are released "today", LM is aware it'll probably not be until tomorrows hardware that will need to catch up.

Also other features like crepuscular rays, atmospheric scattering, true 3D lighting ... think 5 FPS or less on top end hardware unfortunately.  This planet is an amazing place to live sitting in the goldilocks zone ... but it sure does make for one hard place to virtualize :)  It'll not happen in my life time, but we keep getting closer and closer.

Cheers, Rob.