Sign in to follow this  
stevekirks

777 with 01JAN16 Update - great job!

Fellow Pilots:

I downloaded and installed the update to the 777 with the VAS improvements and I have to say a big "thank you" to the PMDG dev team!  My setup is newish but not high-end and FSX:SE is still FSX, so I was hoping for something, knowing that anything was an improvement.  After the install, I have about 600MB more VAS memory than before!

Core i5-4460 at 3.2GHz

8GB RAM

Windows 10 64bit

Nvidia GT640 1GB GDDR5 VRAM

FTX Global/Vector/SoCal enabled

PilotEdge connected, drone AI aircraft populating the skies

I ran the same flight this morning that I did right before the change:

KLAS BOACH6 HEC KAYOH5 KLGB

FSUIPC was reporting 385MB VAS left before the update, 991MB VAS left after the update.

THANKS PMDG!  My investment is still paying off after two plus years.... :)

• Upvote 1

FSUIPC was reporting 385MB VAS left before the update, 991MB VAS left after the update.

I think your test method may have a bug.... the improvements I saw during testing were on the order of 220-280 MB.  I think a 600 MB difference has other factors involved, maybe weather or traffic?

Dan Downs KCRP

I think your test method may have a bug.... the improvements I saw during testing were on the order of 220-280 MB.  I think a 600 MB difference has other factors involved, maybe weather or traffic?

Ah...weather.  Forgot about that.  I'll pull the historical weather in ASN and do it again when the PilotEdge network has even more traffic.

Still, on my machine, that memory savings is a big deal. 

I can't provide statistical evidence, but the 777 is running more smoothly and with a higher AI

traffic percentage than before (72% instaed of 40%) at busy airports, with Steam on my rather low

end laptop.

Thanks very much for taking the time to release this update in the middle of your work on the 747!

Mike

• Upvote 1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

No difference when I use UK VFR Horizon Photoscenery and Night Environment coupled with UK2000 EGCC. Think I know the answer why. :sad: 3 alternative VAS killers, or should I try a clean install of the 777 ? 

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Ah...weather.  Forgot about that.  I'll pull the historical weather in ASN and do it again when the PilotEdge network has even more traffic.

Still, on my machine, that memory savings is a big deal. 

Ran the test again with historical weather from that day, running the same apps and flying the same route.  Frames dropped pretty hard at the end (my machine, not a memory issue) but the VAS is nearly the same as I reported before.  The only difference would be the PilotEdge traffic load was lower.  I'd say that could make the difference.  I'll try a KSAN to KLAX flight which should cruise over plenty of memory hungry scenery.

Again...wizards they be...dunk them in water to see if they float as they might be witches, those PMDG devs...

im a believer. 

i usually do a quick hop from RPLL-VHHH ; and never had i landed the plane without OOMs. 

well now after the update. i safely landed the plane without the hassle.

No difference when I use UK VFR Horizon Photoscenery and Night Environment coupled with UK2000 EGCC. Think I know the answer why. :sad: 3 alternative VAS killers, or should I try a clean install of the 777 ? 

Any time you download a full installer, it's usually best to fully uninstall before reinstalling.

Kyle Rodgers

Why does one need to run use memory hungry scenery to test 777 vas usage?? They said the vas usage of 777 is decreased and not overall vas ..or they didnt say that you would have an OOM free flight..as per roberts analogy one of the friend in the car found a weight loss pill and lost some weight..

Any time you download a full installer, it's usually best to fully uninstall before reinstalling.

Thanks Kyle, may try that instead. :)

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

If I uninstall, then install the update.....does the operations center reinstall the downloaded liveries?

Please refresh my memory on that one..........thanks

Another issue Imran could be those super hi-res PIA liveries you fly with.  I've heard those are the worst VAS killers of all :lol:

Chris Sunseri

Really good job!

My first 4hs30 with T7: KMIA to KDEN, both commercial airports, 10% traffic, FS2Crew Button, ProATC, Rex clouds textures, ActiveSky weather, OrbX + Vector. Arrived with almost 1GB VAS without any sign of low FPS.

Gain here was around 250MB, as announced.

Best

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Another issue Imran could be those super hi-res PIA liveries you fly with.  I've heard those are the worst VAS killers of all :lol:

Woups! Never thought of livery aspect as a source to VAS escalation...! How can one tell before choosing a livery?

Personally I use Emirates and British Airways.

Phillip Seedorff

Setup:
ASUS PRIME Z370-P i9 9900K 16GB-DDR4 nVidia RTX4070TI Win10 64 1909 PRO1863 USB earphones Artic7 Steel3 and s/pdif opt.7.1 surround Denon amp P3DV5.4/MSFS  ASP/ASCA ProATC/X  AIGAIM-OCI  Multimonitor setup

If I uninstall, then install the update.....does the operations center reinstall the downloaded liveries?

Not automatically, but when you initially downloaded them (some time ago), it archived a copy of the file so that when you go back into the OC (post uninstall/reinstall), it's essentially done as soon as you click on it. In other words, it installs from a local copy and doesn't take time for the download - it's really quick.

Kyle Rodgers