Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

Simming frustrations, is it me?

I just want to get my sim setup, without all kinds of programming,  with some nice goodies and everything I try is frustrating....

Running P3D v3:

Mindstar G1000....   after talking to their tech guys, it doesn't work with the carenado aircraft I like

RXP GNS530...    looks like I need to do a bunch of modding to get anything working right

FScommander...   can't even get the app to launch, all kinds of info in the docs about windows 10 permissions

Plan G....    Exports flight plans in the wrong format, haven't even tried to connect to sim yet

Half the add-ons out are for P3D v2.5, not v3

Can't update G1000 navdata in any of my aircraft     :(

With the little bit of tinkering I've already done, I get GPS load errors when I launch P3D now, and and error every time it closes.  I don't want to mess things up worse trying to get other bits working.

Is simming this labor intensive all the time, does it need to be??  Am I missing something??  Are there really no easy ways to do things in the sim world?  Should I go back to v2.5, use x plane instead??

Any input would be fantastic!!!

Thank you all so much!

What I did when I got P3D was just to add a few essentials which are in my signature. Nothing fancy, almost no scenery except Ultimate Terrain for the areas I fly. Runs like a charm, FPS around 30, no stutters, no problems. I start it up, and fly all over with my Virtual Airline, and no problems to speak of. So different from the constant nightmares and mishaps  I lived though with FS9 and FSX where I was afraid to even move in my chair  while flying. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

What I did when I got P3D was just to add a few essentials which are in my signature. Nothing fancy, almost no scenery except Ultimate Terrain for the areas I fly. Runs like a charm, FPS around 30, no stutters, no problems. I start it up, and fly all over with my Virtual Airline, and no problems to speak of. So different from the constant nightmares and mishaps  I lived though with FS9 and FSX where I was afraid to even move in my chair  while flying. 

This is slightly reassuring.  Although with the above said, I really can't even get a decent flight plan plugged in using the darned built in flight planner.  And I can't add one with most of my aircraft, except the carenado tbm 850.  Anything else and I just have to fly direct.   :(

Sorry to say but the add-ons you are trying to use are all pretty old (not saying they are bad). Might have been a smart move to check whether these older add-ons actually work in P3Dv3 before migrating. If you use up-to-date stuff (like the GTN 750 for example) then P3Dv3 works like a charm with much less tweaking and fiddling around than FSX ever had.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Sorry to say but the add-ons you are trying to use are all pretty old (not saying they are bad). Might have been a smart move to check whether these older add-ons actually work in P3Dv3 before migrating. If you use up-to-date stuff (like the GTN 750 for example) then P3Dv3 works like a charm with much less tweaking and fiddling around than FSX ever had.

A GTN750 would be swell.  Would I get this in an add-on aircraft or add it to one I have??  Where would I get it??   I need some education here, please accept my apologies.    

A GTN750 would be swell.  Would I get this in an add-on aircraft or add it to one I have??  Where would I get it??   I need some education here, please accept my apologies.    

No need to apologize. As Bert has said, Flight1 sells the GTN750 for Prepar3D. It is a gauge which you can use in different add-ons. Some add-ons have GTN750 integration built-in, for others you can use it either as a pop-up gauge (not showing in the VC) or you need some tweaking to get it show in the VC. Bert has published some excellent GTN750 mods for a couple of add-ons.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I'm sorry, what is a VC??

So, I have a handful of carenados, such as the malibu mirage, can I pull out the stock 530/430 and put in this GTN750??   I also have their jetprop malibu, tbm 850, cirrus, 208, 206.  I also have a couple A2A trainers.   

On the malibu mirage, the carenado site says:   Original Carenado GNS530 and GNS430 with Reality XP integration option (only for FSX).

• Upvote 1

For fs commander try installing it somewhere other than "program files". All programs have permissions issues when installed there in win10 i find.

For fs commander try installing it somewhere other than "program files". All programs have permissions issues when installed there in win10 i find.

Will it work if P3D is installed there?

I'm sorry, what is a VC??

So, I have a handful of carenados, such as the malibu mirage, can I pull out the stock 530/430 and put in this GTN750??   I also have their jetprop malibu, tbm 850, cirrus, 208, 206.  I also have a couple A2A trainers.   

On the malibu mirage, the carenado site says:   Original Carenado GNS530 and GNS430 with Reality XP integration option (only for FSX).

VC = Virtual Cockpit.

Short answer to your question is:  No, unfortunately.

a2a offers GTN integration options for the C172, Cherokee, C182, and Comanche.

I would start there.

Bert

A while back, I had FSX boxed, FSX-SE, P3D  v2 and X-Plane all loaded and set up.  It really became a nightmare to manage; I was spending more time installing add-ons and tweaking than flying.  When I installed a SSD and Windows 10, I decided to start over with just my original FSX.  I've installed all my original add-ons and spent several hundred dollars an new add-ons over the holidays.  And I've got to say, I've never had so much fun with Flight Simulator.  Everything is running smooth, I have very few if any CTDs, (thanks to the excellent guides on Avsim) and with one exception (Eaglesoft Citation X) everything is working perfectly. (No disrespect to the Citation, it's just a little bit more finicky than some of my other aircraft). The other day, I flew an approach into ImagineSim's KATL using A2A's Cessna 182, with Flight 1's GTN 750 and my jaw dropped, it was just so amazing!   I miss the days when I could look forward to a new version of FS from Microsoft, and I hopeful for a new flight simulator in 2016, but until then, I think I will stick with FSX and just have fun flying!

Mike

• Upvote 1

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

VC = Virtual Cockpit.

Short answer to your question is:  No, unfortunately.

a2a offers GTN integration options for the C172, Cherokee, C182, and Comanche.

I would start there.

So, to summarize.  What you are telling me, Bert, is that if I prefer high performance singles AND the ability to use true route navigation/flight planning/SIDS/STARS....    My best route at this point would be the A2A Comanche and the Flight1 GTN750.  A2A offers the Flight1 integration with this model and it is compatible without a bunch of monkeying around....??   I hope I am following you.  

Now I just have to decide if $70 is worth it to use this with one model.  I really want to use it in my Carenado Malibu Mirage.  That would be perfect.  I love that plane and am super comfortable flying it but using direct to on the GPS gets boring.   Even the G1000 in the cirrus can't do a flight plan and if it could it wouldn't be able to use SIDS.  

Would I be able to use the GTN is any other models I have, say, that came with P3D??  Could using the GTN is my carenado stuff as a pop out be possible and have it load into the default GNS?  

In a perfect world I could drag the GTN off my screen onto my suface tablet and use it touch screen!!!  

Hi Carguy

Just wanted to mention something related to your point about Plan G. I use this with P3D v3 and it works fine. When you create a flight plan and save it, it automatically saves it as a .plg file which FSX can't read. However, if you go into options you should find an Export section. Click on that and then select FSX Flight Plan format (.pln). This can then be read by FSX and P3D (they both use the same format). You had to this with FSX too so it's not unique to P3D.

It does also connect to P3D via simconnect or Pete Dowson's WideFS. I use the latter as it's just easier to set up.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Stu.

Stuart Furley

Actually it's $115 (roughly) if you're going to buy the GTN and Comanche - GTN is incredible though - a lot of newer addons include GTN integration

Older planes - can be tricky. I might be able to get the GTN 750 in the mirage for you. Or Bert lol! You'd still need the 2d popup to use it fully though

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |