Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

Simming frustrations, is it me?

Hi Carguy

Just wanted to mention something related to your point about Plan G. I use this with P3D v3 and it works fine. When you create a flight plan and save it, it automatically saves it as a .plg file which FSX can't read. However, if you go into options you should find an Export section. Click on that and then select FSX Flight Plan format (.pln). This can then be read by FSX and P3D (they both use the same format). You had to this with FSX too so it's not unique to P3D.

It does also connect to P3D via simconnect or Pete Dowson's WideFS. I use the latter as it's just easier to set up.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Stu.

Great news Stu!!  Such an easy fix, I look forward to making this change.  Thank you!!

Actually it's $115 (roughly) if you're going to buy the GTN and Comanche - GTN is incredible though - a lot of newer addons include GTN integration

Older planes - can be tricky. I might be able to get the GTN 750 in the mirage for you. Or Bert lol! You'd still need the 2d popup to use it fully though

I was just counting the cost of the GTN, which I think is $70 for P3D, but yes, I'd have to add for the aircraft as well.  Seems the comanche is about as good as I'm going to get for plug and play GTN in a high (sort of) performance single.  

If you'd like to help with the malibu I'd be tickled.  I'd be alright using it as a pop out.  Hopefully it'll at least load the data into the stock GNS for using the map and viewing current leg data, etc. 

If anyone wants to venture into getting the GTN working wireless on my surface I have a kilt and I'm willing to dance a jig!!! 

I think you would really like the Comanche.. based on your preferences.

And yes, you can use the gtn as a popup in other planes.

RealAir has some very nice planes about to come out in a p3d3 version!

Duke, Lancair.. also with native gtn integration.

Bert

RealAir has some very nice planes about to come out in a p3d3 version!

Duke, Lancair.. also with native gtn integration.

Yep!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I also just noticed the alabeo saratoga that has GTN integration built in.  This isn't a mirage but it's getting there, lol.  

If I use the GTN as a pop out on my mirage, does the data input read out in the 530/430 that are in the 3d panel?

I also just noticed the alabeo saratoga that has GTN integration built in.  This isn't a mirage but it's getting there, lol.  

If I use the GTN as a pop out on my mirage, does the data input read out in the 530/430 that are in the 3d panel?

No, it will not, and that is not a very satisfactory setup..

Mixing GPSs is never a good thing  :wink:

Look carefully at the panel layout of whatever airplane you end up buying.

For example, the a2a Comanche was modeled after a real airplane, complete with a

particular set of gauges, including a very basic autopilot..  It is authentic, but not very

user friendly - although you get used to it..

Alternately, you might get the a2a C182 which can be set up with a modern layout,

including HSI and BK autopilot..  more like you might expect..

Bert

So, even as a pop out, not a great solution on the Mirage then....       :mad:

I read the avsim review on the alabeo saratoga, that one doesn't sound like a bad solution.  It'll only take the 750 but that's the one I was planning on picking up.  Think this one might suit me a bit better than the comanche?

I have the a2a C182, but it's a wee slow for what I typically like to fly.  It is a fine aircraft though for sure.   

I do not have the Saratoga, but do have the F406 and it is very nice.

OR, wait for the RealAir Legacy - if you like fast and sporty  :smile:

Bert

So far, things improving.  Bert and Ryan, you are both fantastic!!  I now have a fancy new GTN setup in about 5 aircraft.  A couple with factory integration and a couple with the help of Ryan.  

Tried some scenery out.  ORBX regions made my system crap in it's pants, so I think those are a no go unless I learn how to tweak more speed out of my system.  Running with orbx global and open lc alaska/ca the frames are acceptable.  It does look a bit better than vanilla too.  Sure wish I could run those regions though, they sure are pretty!!  But at 5-7 fps, no way.  This was in socal so it is dense though.   I can sustain 25-30 with just global though, and that is acceptable to me.  

I'm going to start up on PE and get to sharpening my skills.  A few smaller kinks left to work out, but nothing major at this point.  Using orbx is pretty simple, for the money it should be I suppose.  The GTN is amazing!!  Still need to sort out if I want to order up some saitek gear and how well that will integrate.  Still need to fiddle around to get my logitech 3d pro to not be so touchy (tips please!!).  Still need to get more comfortable looking around to gain visual awareness during VFR flight (top hat switch is choppy and fast).  Need to sort out how to drag avionics or panels over to my surface wirelessly so I can touch screen my GTN (haven't seen much on this yet).

So I have some work left to do, but I'm far less frustrated.  You guys have been a ton of help, and quite encouraging.  Until I sort out the last few bugs, I might say flying VFR in the sim is harder than RL.  But flying with a GTN is like cheating.  No tuning VORs, no looking for DME markers, just punch in where you want go and use GPS.  Heck, use the GPS for your waypoints, markers, it even overlays the chart.  Good lord.  I guess I'm a little glad I learned to IFR the old fashioned way, I can be tuning my nav2 for whatever vor or backup navaid I would need if the GTN failed.  

Good fun folks!!  I'm all ears for additional tips and tricks on my remaining bugs/tweaks.

Thanks again, you have all been great!!

Happy it is working well for you!

I can see a faster PC in your future  :wub:

BTW, I have a GTN mod for the TBM (send me a PM with your email address)

Bert