Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3Dv3 AM, FFTF, SWAP Tweak for FTX Regions with PMDG 777

Hey guys and gals.

This will be a crazy funny thread and the settings may work for you only if you have an equivalent system.  SLI is a must. 

Before I begin I would Request that this thread be kept Civil and fun.

We all know that KSEA area in Orbx FTX PNW is a resource hog.  I wanted to see if I could figure a solution which works for me.

These settings are probably not needed when not using full fat FTX regions with a heavy airplane addon like PMDG.

My Idea: Yes, I want to fly the PMDG 777 as a GA aircraft on top of all those FTX regions and payware aircraft I have. 

Why would I want to do this: Because I can and this is a virtual world of all and I have the hardware for it.  If I can get the system loaded with this much scenery, then all my other addons will act like a breeze.  Especially over Orbx KFHR and FSDT CYVR on top of Orbx PNW.  These sceneries are resource intensive

Specs: I have oc i7-5820K to 4.3Ghz, 16 GB DDR4, 2x980 SLI.  And lots of 4K monitors.  But sim is set to 1 4K monitor as Primary SLI monitor and other 2 4K monitors are all work 2D related.

Addons Installed :

Flightbeam KIAD, KDEN, KPHX,

FSDT CYVR, KJFKv2, GSX

Orbx: Global, Vector, OpenLC Europe and NA, FTX Regions: SAK-PFJ-PNW-NRM-CRM-NCA-SCA and few Orbx NCA P3Dv3 Airports like KFHR, KSTS, KTVL

MyTraffic 6 with latest patches

OpusFSI: For Cameras

Active Sky Next: Default Settings for Weather

FSUIPC for VAS info in the title bar

Rex 4 Textures: Clouds are at 512 and rest is 1024

Resolution: 4K on SLI

Prepar3d.cfg Tweaks to reduce blurries when flying PMDG 777 (newly updated one with better VAS) over PNW at altitude 10K Feet or 15K feet.

Need 4 Cores for VAS Management

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=340

You can also use 30 if HT is off.  See which one saves you VAS

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

Need to ADD THIS (and these are stated in the LM performance tuning guide)

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=12

(You can try 9, 12 or 15 etc, needs to be multiple of 3, but higher number can induce stutters - for me 9 or 12 works smoothly)

[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10

(I am running unlimited frames, with this settings I did not really see any slow texture loading when I am panning like crazy on spot view, I didn't really any drop in performance at all --- especially for KSEA area).  You can change this to values which suit your system

LOD_Radius is set to 4.5.  I can not go above this when using PMDG 777 over FTX regions.

FFTF

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.40

(even though this high, but I don't see any issues on my system with SLI graphics)

GlobalTerrainView is set to True from False

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

Once the P3D runs.  You need to this VERY IMP TWEAK to get all the cores running at full activity.  There is a weird bug in P3Dv3.1

I do see that my Core 2 for example is running but at lower task activity vs Core 1, 3 and 4. I was like why is this core low performing.

And then I did this simple trick. I open up Task Manager in Windows 10 and go to Prepar3d, right click on affinity and let the menu show up. I do NOT change anything and just hit ok to the window which shows that I can enable Core 0 and Core 5 if I wanted to. I do NOT enable any other core as VAS spike will happen.

Just click on "oK" and viola the Core 2 is now running on full power. And the lowly rendered frames are gone.

These are very weird and bizarre issues.

Free VAS Menu Trick

Another Tweak is if you are running low on VAS - Just click on Options and go to a Settings and wait few seconds and then hit cancel.  You will see some VAS free in FSUIPC counter if you have one.  I usually get to save somewhere between 50-100MB depending on the location or scenery I am in

Flight Plan

I did to Land at FSDT CYVR with VAS.  Here is what the FMC had. 

KSAN-OCN-SLI-LAX-SFO-STS-CBU-TCM-SEA-PAE-FHR-CYVR

STS is Orbx KSTS

CBU is KPDX - Orbx standard KPDX

FHR - is Orbx newly released KFHR.

I really can go over KFHR at 15000 Feet with PMDG 777 and it renders very well.  Slightly slow but as I get there, it does show itself very well.  This is also at .65 mach speed. 

Result is when I finally landed in FSDT CYVR - I had close to 250MB to 300MB VAS Free.  That is good enough for me.

Summary:

1) Get the updated PMDG 777

2) Texture size to 2048 - trust me some of those photoreal areas of NCA/SCA work better with 2048

3) TextureMaxLoad=12

4) SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10

5) FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.40

6) UseGlobalTerrainView=True

7) Mandatory - CPU core affinity trick using simple windows task manager.  Just click OK when you see all the cores.  You can see the activity in the CPU graphs.

8) If need some VAS free on the spot - just open up a menu like the settings menu wait like 1-5 seconds and hit cancel.

Use FSUIPC title bar settings for VAS calculations.

Now can someone tell if there is a VAS Leak with Car traffic or not.  I can't figure it out.

Here are the pics of my settings

avsim1.png

avsim2.png

avsim3.png

avsim4.png

avsim5.png

avsim6.png

Hope you enjoy it.

Again - this may not work for you.  But the CPU Core Menu and VAS Menu Trick work really well.

If you can tell where I can improve my experience please let me know

Thank You,

Skywolf

PS (I do apologize for any spelling and grammar checks, I am typing this quite fast)

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Thank you

Will try this tommorow.

I see that you dont use fiber frame time fraction?

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

Thank you

Will try this tommorow.

I see that you dont use fiber frame time fraction?

Oops, I forgot to add it.  I Just updated the thread

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.40

Thanks for catching that error in my post

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

welcome :)

i couldn`t wait to test it so i will do it now.

i don`t use the orbx regions but i use gep3d and utx v2 so i`m very interessted to see the results :)

-----

Update:

Coudn`t sleep without testing it :)

Did a short climb to FL100 with PMDG 777 , ASN, EGLL Extended from Aerosoft, My Traffic 6 at 35 % , GEP3D and UTX 2.0. Used nearly the same settings as you did only with LOD 5.5

As it was only a short test i can only see everything was perfect crisp textures and i couldn`t see nearly no loading or popping only very rare.

Very important is the Windows Affinity trick you mentioned without i had about 25-28 FPS after i applied the "trick" i got 37-40 FPS because the second core was "used" correctly.

I had on the Holding Point about 860 MB Vas left with very foggy weather, which is a record for EGLL and my PMDG :)

brgds

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

welcome :)

i couldn`t wait to test it so i will do it now.

i don`t use the orbx regions but i use gep3d and utx v2 so i`m very interessted to see the results :)

-----

Update:

Coudn`t sleep without testing it :)

Did a short climb to FL100 with PMDG 777 , ASN, EGLL Extended from Aerosoft, My Traffic 6 at 35 % , GEP3D and UTX 2.0. Used nearly the same settings as you did only with LOD 5.5

As it was only a short test i can only see everything was perfect crisp textures and i couldn`t see nearly no loading or popping only very rare.

Very important is the Windows Affinity trick you mentioned without i had about 25-28 FPS after i applied the "trick" i got 37-40 FPS because the second core was "used" correctly.

I had on the Holding Point about 860 MB Vas left with very foggy weather, which is a record for EGLL and my PMDG :)

brgds

I am so glad that the settings worked for you.  Yes, LOD can be increased in areas outside Full FTX regions.  P3Dv3.1 is a very different beast with SLI and fast cpus.  The results are completely different from fsx, p3d 1.4 and 2.X editions.

Apologies if I don't understand this right. Why would the task manager trick only applicable to SLI configuration? Reading your post what I understand is there seems to be a bug in v3.1 that even after specifying AffinityMask in the cfg file, it is not using the core(s) correctly and we need to reapply this through the task manager once p3d starts running ??

Apologies if I don't understand this right. Why would the task manager trick only applicable to SLI configuration? Reading your post what I understand is there seems to be a bug in v3.1 that even after specifying AffinityMask in the cfg file, it is not using the core(s) correctly and we need to reapply this through the task manager once p3d starts running ??

I have not tried without SLI, so I don't know how P3Dv3 performs without SLI.  I just wrote that to describe my exact findings. 

But even after applying AM or not - you still have to do the Core trick via task manager once P3D start running.  You should be able to see the one of the cores increase its task activity.

Suvo - the Task Manager trick should work on systems without SLI also.

The task manager trick seems to work without SLI.  Not sure if it makes any difference for frame rates or smoothness though.  What seems to happen is CPU 0 drops down about 20% and CPU 1 shoots up about 20%.  Odd.

The task manager trick seems to work without SLI.  Not sure if it makes any difference for frame rates or smoothness though.  What seems to happen is CPU 0 drops down about 20% and CPU 1 shoots up about 20%.  Odd.

Task Manager Trick definitely works on 6 Core system like mine and it has a huge positive impact.  I don't use Core0 though.

It is a very quick trick nonetheless.

I can confirm the Task Manager trick also works on 4 core 4770K, HT on, single graphics card in so far that it does get the second core working a lot more.

Have not checked for better performance yet though.

gb.

Use FSUIPC title bar settings for VAS calculations.

Displaying FSUICP VAS in the title bar can sometimes cause stutters.

Better to just use the log file.

gb.

Need to ADD THIS (and these are stated in the LM performance tuning guide)

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=12

You only have to add this to the cfg if you want to use a non default value.

Assuming the default value here is 12, the sim will use a value of 12 regardless of whether TextureMaxLoad=12 is in the cfg or not.

This is the same for most of their other cfg tweak items.

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Fogot i dont have sli too. Actualy i try to get the ok from my wife for a second 980Ti :-)

But actualy my Ti's ussage is only about 44-48 . So im not sure if it's nececary.

sfo_a320.png

Specs: I have oc i7-5820K to 4.3Ghz, 16 GB DDR4, 2x980 SLI.  And lots of 4K monitors.  But sim is set to 1 4K monitor as Primary SLI monitor and other 2 4K monitors are all work 2D related.

How is this setup in Nvidia Controlpanel ? Does it meen that i can have SLI on my 1920X1200 and drop the undocked 2D panels from VC to a second monitor "not" in SLI mode ? or is it something else ?

I use a 4770K@4,7GHZ HT OFF and no AM, with 2xGTX970SC in SLI for GA. I will test the CPU tweak later today with and without SLI

Normally i have undocked my PFD and ND to a second monitor beneath my main monitor and SLI is not happy about that.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I can confirm the Task Manager trick also works on 4 core 4770K, HT on, single graphics card in so far that it does get the second core working a lot more.

Have not checked for better performance yet though.

gb.

Displaying FSUICP VAS in the title bar can sometimes cause stutters.

Better to just use the log file.

gb.

You only have to add this to the cfg if you want to use a non default value.

Assuming the default value here is 12, the sim will use a value of 12 regardless of whether TextureMaxLoad=12 is in the cfg or not.

This is the same for most of their other cfg tweak items.

gb

TextureMaxLoad=12 is not by in default prepar3d.cfg at all.  Based on the Performance Help guide in Prepar3d.  It states the value is 6.  Please see the Prepar3d Tuning Guide for more information.  The values have to be multiples of 3.  This setting is only used for photoreal elements, and Orbx FTX Regions like SCA/NCA/PNW do have some major photoreal locations.

How is this setup in Nvidia Controlpanel ? Does it meen that i can have SLI on my 1920X1200 and drop the undocked 2D panels from VC to a second monitor "not" in SLI mode ? or is it something else ?

I use a 4770K@4,7GHZ HT OFF and no AM, with 2xGTX970SC in SLI for GA. I will test the CPU tweak later today with and without SLI

Normally i have undocked my PFD and ND to a second monitor beneath my main monitor and SLI is not happy about that.

Michael Moe

My Only setup in Nvidia Controlpanel is that SLI is set to Max Power.  Everything is default.  I am already running at 4K res (that is lots of pixels that the system is pushing).

Guys - If you use FFTF on here, I would suggest that you use SWAP settings in conjunction with it. 

Also - i am on a Sim vacation from today; work has picked up.  I wanted to share my settings with all, as I achieved what I wanted to do in my sim.

Has anyone tested fps before and after the Affinity trick ?

Perhaps it is just a bug in the Task Manager not showing all core loads correctly....

Rob/Vic ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0