Sign in to follow this  
snaparaz

Windows 10: the perfect anti-aircraft weapon

I'm grounded. The PC's on blocks. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Almost immediately getting rapid fan whir and shutdowns. Tried everything. Microsoft tweaked it, finally suggested a reset. Did it and lost everything in the process. Spent hours backtracking to get the system functioning again - finally roll out the Carenado on Prepar3d v3 with the Saitek controls and panels....and suddenly - whiiiiiiir - out it goes. Now Microsoft tell me I need to reinstall - but my OS was pre-installed when purchased, which means contacting the original dealer to get the disk. Also not even sure it's going to fix it as suspicious of the USB situation or the Saiteks. I'm at a loss what to do next and mightily pisxxxx of with Microsoft. Everything was fine before that darned upgrade :-( Be warned.

Sorry your having problems.  I performed the upgrade from Windows 7 and it's been flawless.  Saitek drivers have to be updated for the flight controls and SPAD for Saitek panels as no driver yet exists.

Should you wish, you can download Windows 10 installer (not update, but the complete installer) from Microsoft Windows 10 site and you can use your Windows 8 serial number to install.

Hope this helps you.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Now Microsoft tell me I need to reinstall - but my OS was pre-installed when purchased,

Should be a sticker on the case somewhere with the Win8 serial number on it.

??

gb,

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Microsoft told me because I'm in Japan and bought pre-installed my serial won't work - which seems plain wrong as their update broke it. I have to contact the original vendor and ask for copy of the install disk again. How about that for customer service! The guy said there have been numerous issues with upgrades. I also know somebody whose laptop was killed by the upgrade. Something ain't right!

As of Windows 8, no stickers with OEM product keys exist. PC manufacturers pumped the key in a particular area of the BIOS. You don't need to enter a product code, Windows can retrieve it from the BIOS.

Also, since he already installed Windows 10 on this machine, he does not need to enter any product code at all when reinstalling.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

]

I have the key from the bios. The issue is they tell me the key probably won't be valid because the OS was pre-installed on the PC when bought. Also, I had upgraded to 10, then back to 8.1 - as they suggested this might remedy the shutdown. Unfortunately have wasted two days with this and was practically ready to grab my sledge hammer last night (thankfully I didn't). Anyway after all that back tracking, time-wasting and frustration, the shutdown persisted. As of now it's nagging at me that their cautionary advice about keys was plain tech I-don't-know-BS. I'll give the Windows 10 install a try and contact the Japanese vendors, but for a few days Im taking a break. As much as I want to cyber fly, the whole thing has me tired of looking at download bars and nervously awaiting shutdowns - not to mention handling half of the task in Japanese when the OS resets to the origin language. You can imagine the sledge hammer dilemma now, right?

Yes I understand the frustrations... ;)

From time to time, a 1-2 week cyber holiday can do miracles.

All the best.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

As of Windows 8, no stickers with OEM product keys exist. PC manufacturers pumped the key in a particular area of the BIOS. You don't need to enter a product code, Windows can retrieve it from the BIOS.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Sorry your having problems.  I performed the upgrade from Windows 7 and it's been flawless.  Saitek drivers have to be updated for the flight controls and SPAD for Saitek panels as no driver yet exists.

Should you wish, you can download Windows 10 installer (not update, but the complete installer) from Microsoft Windows 10 site and you can use your Windows 8 serial number to install.

Hope this helps you.

Could not agree more with you. I too morphed from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro without a hitch, using the complete installer.

You don't have an install disc?? I would never buy a new OS without making sure that I was getting one of those.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You don't have an install disc?? I would never buy a new OS without making sure that I was getting one of those.

Every OEM install of Windows I've ever encountered does have a partition with reversionary software. The problem of course is that 99.9% of customers do not know that they need to create a bootable "System Restore" disk themselves in order to use this feature.

By the time they discover that they need it, it's too late since it is likely that their system can no longer create such a recovery disk... :fool:

Even though it's currently "Free" I would not touch Win10 with a 50' barge pole. I've got far too many computers on my production network to waste time messing around with an operating system.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am not interested in Windows 10 at the moment. I have a nice working copy of Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, and.....ooh, look at that......a nice, shiny install disc. What a clever idea :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

ANYway...

I hope the information provided has helped snaparaz.

Happy flights into 2016!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I don't think we are going to be seeing install discs much longer. Most people have been loading the OS download onto a USB Drive using the tool to do so (Microsoft provides it BTW).

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I'm grounded. The PC's on blocks. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Almost immediately getting rapid fan whir and shutdowns. Tried everything. Microsoft tweaked it, finally suggested a reset. Did it and lost everything in the process. Spent hours backtracking to get the system functioning again - finally roll out the Carenado on Prepar3d v3 with the Saitek controls and panels....and suddenly - whiiiiiiir - out it goes. Now Microsoft tell me I need to reinstall - but my OS was pre-installed when purchased, which means contacting the original dealer to get the disk. Also not even sure it's going to fix it as suspicious of the USB situation or the Saiteks. I'm at a loss what to do next and mightily pisxxxx of with Microsoft. Everything was fine before that darned upgrade :-( Be warned.

I installed the Windows 10 to see what would happen. Running a perfect and clean Windows 7 Pro prior.

After about 2 weeks, formatted the hard drive completely and went back to Windows 7! A clean complete re-install of FSX (which actually does work better now).

And then this notification came out!:      http://www.avsim.com/topic/480550-windows-10-has-everything-fixed-finally/

But, in time, they will.   :wink:

Cheers,

Jim