Sign in to follow this  
bradrcfii

Performance Problems with Prepar3d V3

I recently un-installed FSX and installed Prepar3d, ezdok and the NGX.  I run 4 monitors, 3 using Nvidia spanning software for the VC and have the fourth monitor connected to a second video card.  I am running a 970 and a 460 video cards.  I use the forth monitor to move the ND/PFD and engine display to the fourth monitor in full screen mode.  Worked great in FSX.

Now, I have to un-dock the pop-up screens before I can move to the fourth screen.  When I do, I lose 10 frames down to 10.  So I have a couple of issues, using full screen mode and poor performance. At best, using the VC only, I get 20 frames.  I have used the Nvidia inspector settings recommended for Prepar3d which looked like the same for FSX. I also noticed I have a FSX.cfg file in the same folder where the Prepar3d.cfg file lives.  Thought that was strange as I was pretty complete in un-installing FSX.

I tried backing down resolutions and other sliders looking for better frames.  No luck.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have for me.

Brad

I have used the Nvidia inspector settings recommended for Prepar3d which looked like the same for FSX. 

Thanks for any suggestions you may have for me.

Brad

I run into a similar problem of low frames when I undock another window. What Nvidia Inspector settings are you using?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

@Brad: as long as you did not set the internal P3D AA mode to "off", your settings made within the nvidia inspector wont't be applied. I think that what you see is the p3d setting (eg standard 4x MSAA)

The undocking will result in a FPS drop no matter what you do with NVI.

Regardless of what you set in P3D itself, if you are looking for NVI to help you with your FPS - not going to happen. You could disable it completely and you might get better fps but you will get worse AA. If you improve the AA settings, your FPS will decay. Find the spot where your visual and performance give you the best of both.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The undocking will result in a FPS drop no matter what you do with NVI.

Sorry, I can't confirm this. I run 4 monitors off a single GTX780. 3 monitors spanning with NVidia Surround and the fourth monitor for undocked 2D panels. E.g. in the PMDG NGX I can undock the PFD and ND and move it to the fourth monitor with no noticeable frame loss (same when undocking the GTN750 in GA aircraft). It is definitely less than 2 fps. Zero problems with it here. Of course, creating new VC views and undocking them leads to a huge fps loss. But not if you undock 2D panels.

image1.jpg

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

You may be right Carlo but the majority of posts I see regarding this complain about the large FPS loss. I don't do it often but I can't say that I've noticed a significant change either.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Carlito777,

I do exactly the same thing with four monitors.   This worked fine in FSX with very little loss of frames.   I rebuilt the config file and now get 30 frames but still drops to about 12-14 when I move a 2D pop-up to the 4th monitor.  I also do not think it is a NI issue.

What are your display settings in Prepar3D and in your .cfg file?

Thanks

Brad

orry, I can't confirm this. I run 4 monitors off a single GTX780.

Hi Carlo what aircraft is that?

We can undock PMDG 737 PFD/MFD  but we can't undock the 777 PFD/MFD  and that is unfortunate.

BTW ... I get the heavy loss of FPS when I undock any panels too. I use Win 7, P3DV3.1 I tried the latest nvidia driver and that does not help. I too have 3+1 monitor 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I was able to undock the PMDG 777 PDFD/MFD in FSX. Have not tried in Prepared.v3.  In FSX, when I went to full screen, I would create the pop-up and move it directly to the fourth monitor.  All screens are black.  The pop-up disapears at the bitton of the center screen but never appears on the fourth screen.  Surround is setup so the fourth monitor is under the center of the three VC monitors.  With Prepard3d in full screen more, I have to undock it.  I thought un-docking was a non full screen mode function. It as if Prepard3d does not fully recognize the surround configuration in full screen mode.

I can undock the PFD and ND in the NGX as well as in the 777 without any problems (and almost no fps loss).

I don't know what you mean by "graphics settings in the cfg"? The graphics settings should not have an impact on the fps loss from undocking a 2D panel. However, Prepar3d recognizes two displays in the cfg. One is the Surround display (at 5910 x 1080) and the second one the the fourth monitor which I have setup in the Nvidia control panel under "Set Up Multiple Displays".

Surround is setup so the fourth monitor is under the center of the three VC monitors.

That might be the problem. My fourth monitor is setup as an additional display in the Nvidia control panel and is not part of the surround view!

Hi Carlo what aircraft is that?

The aircraft in the picture is the PMDG NGX,

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Oh yeah.. I am an idiot.. yes the 777 PFD/MFDs can be undocked... I just had to place the curose on the left or right of the MFD/PFD.. I've been right clicking on the middle and it keeps going back to the VC panel and thought I cannot undock it.. Thank for confirming that it can be done.

But I still can't use it since I too have the FPS loss when I undock it

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi,

Go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings.
Change Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU acceleration to 'Single display performance mode'.
Close NVIDIA Control Panel
Run P3D.

cheers
M@rCZyn