Sign in to follow this  
jalbino59

Localizer capture, can anyone tell me why it isn't happening

I have tried to get this to work on both the CS 757 and 777. I set up an ils or frequency whether auto tuned via fmc manually tuned via fmc or tuned into the ils control panel, the fma annunciates that the mode is armed, but thats as far as it goes, the plane will not turn to the final approach course. 

Can anyone help please. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have tried to get this to work on both the CS 757 and 777. I set up an ils or frequency whether auto tuned via fmc manually tuned via fmc or tuned into the ils control panel, the fma annunciates that the mode is armed, but thats as far as it goes, the plane will not turn to the final approach course.

Hi, Jalbino59,

Are you actually receiving the frequencies?  Do you see the horizontal GS and vertical Localizer indications on the ND in Approach Mode?  Does this happen at every airport or only certain ones?  Some airports in FSX have out-of-date ILS frequencies, while the CS data is more up-to-date. 

Mike

The freq and ident do not appear on the PFD. The horizontal and vertical guidance does not appear on the PFD or ND. The problem happens at all airports I've tried. My other addon aircraft have no issues. (ifly 747, aerosoft A3XX, pmdg md11 and 737ngx) this problem only occurs with CS757 and 777. The frequencies are fine with those other addons. Are you aware of anything special that needs to be looked into with the Captain Sim aircraft to make them work properly? I'm sure it's something I overlooking but getting information on this product is a very frustrating task.  

The freq and ident do not appear on the PFD. The horizontal and vertical guidance does not appear on the PFD or ND. The problem happens at all airports I've tried. My other addon aircraft have no issues. (ifly 747, aerosoft A3XX, pmdg md11 and 737ngx) this problem only occurs with CS757 and 777. The frequencies are fine with those other addons. Are you aware of anything special that needs to be looked into with the Captain Sim aircraft to make them work properly? I'm sure it's something I overlooking but getting information on this product is a very frustrating task.

Hi, jalbino59,

Unfortunately this is a complex aircraft and CS didn't provide very good documentation, last time I checked.  So a couple of things:

1) Here is a site with lots of information on the various 777 systems.  It is not specific for the CS but should be helpful:

http://www.smartcockpit.com/search.php?cx=partner-pub-5493771074943570%3A8801918110&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=777&sa=Search&siteurl=www.smartcockpit.com%2F&ref=www.google.com&ss=2297j2354271j5

Somewhere there is a good CS 3rd party tutorial but it only covers pre-flight setup, if I remember correctly.

2) Make sure your installation is up-to-date by checking your version against the CS web site.

3) Switch to the PMDG 777!  Their 777 comes with an excellent introductory manual and tutorial.  There is also another tutorial available in their forums here on Avsim.  Their support forums are very active and they reply to support tickets reasonably fast.  The support forums are constantly monitored by their staff.  This aircraft has less eye-candy and is more expensive, but well worth it IMHO.

Mike

Thanks Mike, your spot on regarding all of your points, I am definitely switching over to the PMDG T7 as soon as possible. But as for the 57, I was hoping to be able to use it as I'm not to crazy about the limited systems on the Quality Wings version. (I own that one too). I have checked out the tutorials you mention. But they are limited in information as well.  Thanks for your help

Jose

Thanks Mike, your spot on regarding all of your points, I am definitely switching over to the PMDG T7 as soon as possible. But as for the 57, I was hoping to be able to use it as I'm not to crazy about the limited systems on the Quality Wings version. (I own that one too). I have checked out the tutorials you mention. But they are limited in information as well. Thanks for your help

My guess is that the CS 757 is quite flyable -- it's just a matter of learning how its systems work.

The FMCs of all Boeing aircraft are quite similar, so perhaps learning the 777 will carry over to the 757.  Level-D's manual for its very well-done 767 is available for free download on their site, and might also be of help -- the 767 and 757 are quite close.

Try this link:

http://leveldsim.com/sevensix_downloads.asp#

Choose the manual for FSX.

Mike

Jose,

The CS 777 will perform an ILS Approach (though I too use the other 777).

If you're able to capture the localizer but not the glideslope, and it's not a scenery issue, then changes are you're too high and stay that way as the glideslope and associated altitude gets lower as you get closer to the runway.

Hope this helps!

Thanks DaveCT, I cannot capture either the localizer or the glideslope, I do fly these approaches as indicated on the approach charts and at the proper altitudes and headings. For some reason I cannot get the frequencies tuned. I can't ident them. I have tried manual and automatic tuning through the fmc. It just doesn't work. I use the ILS radio panel on the pedestal, I see the frequency change and correct course indicated there, but nothing changes in the primary or navigation display, I believe the nav1 radio panel on the glareshield is supposed to change to the ils automatically, but that doesn't happen either. 

Jose

You're most welcome Jose, I know it's got to be very frustrating.

Can you try another aircraft, even the Default Baron (glass flight deck if you have it would be easier), to see if the same problem exists?  If so, it's the airport you're using.

Speaking of that, are you using a default airport with an updated AIRAC for the aircraft?  If so, that would most likely be your problem.

Lots of questions, I know.

I use the ILS radio panel on the pedestal, I see the frequency change and correct course indicated there, but nothing changes in the primary or navigation display, I believe the nav1 radio panel on the glareshield is supposed to change to the ils automatically, but that doesn't happen either.

Hi, jalbino59,

First, you tune the ILS on the CDU (FMC interface) NAV/RAD page.  That is where you can see the autotuned ILS frequency & course, and also override both with a manual entry.  The ILS entry shouldn't appear on the glare shield, but on the NAV/RAD page of the CDU.  This is different from other Boeings like the 737-800 and 767.  I don't see a Nav1 Radio tuner on the pedestal, only the ATC tuners.  There isn't supposed to be one.  VORs are also tuned on the NAV/RAD page.

Second, you need to enter the ILS approach for the specific runway of the specific airport on the DEP/ARR page under ARR, or it won't autotune.  But you can still manually tune the ILS on the same CDU page. 

Mike

Where are you even seeing an  ILS radio tuner on the pedestal, and where are you seeing a display of the ILS frequency on the glare shield?

Yes Mike, I was referring to the ils radio in the center pedestal of the 757. But I am aware of how to autotune via the fmc. and how to manual tune the ils frequency in the fmc as well. I'm sorry about the confusion  

Yes Mike, I was referring to the ils radio in the center pedestal of the 757. But I am aware of how to autotune via the fmc. and how to manual tune the ils frequency in the fmc as well. I'm sorry about the confusion

Oh, well, I was hoping that might solve the problem.  There are many possibilities, in addition to what Dave said: no power to radios, IRS not aligned, no route, no ils approach selected in FMC, etc. 

Be sure to check the FSX Map view to see what frequency & course are showing for your desired runway.  Then set those manually (for the 777, on the NAV/RAD page).  That should eliminate any discrepancy between (recent) airac data in FMC and (old) FSX ils frequencies.

Mike

No problem Mike, I really appreciate your ideas. Just a couple of quick questions,1. during an ils or localizer approach in the pmdg T7 do you have your flight directors on or off? 2. It never occurred to me to check the map view since it happens at every airport.  I'll do that now. How might I fix any discrepancies if I find any? 

You're most welcome Jose, I know it's got to be very frustrating.

Can you try another aircraft, even the Default Baron (glass flight deck if you have it would be easier), to see if the same problem exists?  If so, it's the airport you're using.

Speaking of that, are you using a default airport with an updated AIRAC for the aircraft?  If so, that would most likely be your problem.

Lots of questions, I know.

I've been using navigraph 1513 just got a new one today so I'm updating it now. As for airports, i have not been able to do any precision approaches ILS or LOC at FSDT JFK, SFO, LatinVFR  MIA and UK2000 Heathrow. 

No problem Mike, I really appreciate your ideas. Just a couple of quick questions,1. during an ils or localizer approach in the pmdg T7 do you have your flight directors on or off? 2. It never occurred to me to check the map view since it happens at every airport. I'll do that now. How might I fix any discrepancies if I find any?

Usually the flight directors are on, but I don't think switching them off would affect the ILS display.  On final I leave them on, but watch the ILS and visual (PAPI) indications, not the FD.  The signal is still being received.  In a video of Air Canada 200LR (RW) they switch off the Flight Directors before landing -- maybe their indications are seen as a distraction.  Although having a/p and both FDs off would probably clear the approach setting on the MCP/autopilot, I don't think it would stop the reception of the ILS signals on the PFD or ND. 

If it's happening at every airport it's probably not a scenery/airac discrepancy, but it wouldn't hurt to check one in the FSX map.   You should be able to just slew to a good approach position lined up with the runway, and see the ILS even in slew mode or just switching out of slew (if engines are on, power is on, etc.). 

I did load up a CS 777 at KBFI and it did detect the ILS when tuned manually on the CDU, from a parking position. 

I think there is something you are not doing that needs to be done -- IRS aligned, route entered, power going to all instruments -- something like that.  For the 757, take a look at the free manual for the Level-D 767 as they are quite similar.  Go through their tutorial flight.  Some of the stuff will be specific to their addon, but there should be enough that would also apply to the 757.  For the 777, Smartcockpit has good tutorials.

You could also post screen shots when you are in range of an ILS: one showing the main panel including PFD & ND, one showing the overhead, and one showing the NAV/RAD page of the 777.  Map view on the ND as well as Approach view would help.

Mike

Mike

With the PMDG 777 I did an ILS approach w/ both FDs off.  Turning off the Autopilot, w/ the FDs off, does deselect Appr mode on the MCP.  But the ILS remains tuned and showing on the ND.  When I switched back on the MCP (FDs still off) and reselected Appr mode, it kicked right in and in fact did a good autoland in a cross-wind. 

Mike

Usually the flight directors are on, but I don't think switching them off would affect the ILS display.  On final I leave them on, but watch the ILS and visual (PAPI) indications, not the FD.  The signal is still being received.  In a video of Air Canada 200LR (RW) they switch off the Flight Directors before landing -- maybe their indications are seen as a distraction.  Although having a/p and both FDs off would probably clear the approach setting on the MCP/autopilot, I don't think it would stop the reception of the ILS signals on the PFD or ND. 

If it's happening at every airport it's probably not a scenery/airac discrepancy, but it wouldn't hurt to check one in the FSX map.   You should be able to just slew to a good approach position lined up with the runway, and see the ILS even in slew mode or just switching out of slew (if engines are on, power is on, etc.). 

I did load up a CS 777 at KBFI and it did detect the ILS when tuned manually on the CDU, from a parking position. 

I think there is something you are not doing that needs to be done -- IRS aligned, route entered, power going to all instruments -- something like that.  For the 757, take a look at the free manual for the Level-D 767 as they are quite similar.  Go through their tutorial flight.  Some of the stuff will be specific to their addon, but there should be enough that would also apply to the 757.  For the 777, Smartcockpit has good tutorials.

You could also post screen shots when you are in range of an ILS: one showing the main panel including PFD & ND, one showing the overhead, and one showing the NAV/RAD page of the 777.  Map view on the ND as well as Approach view would help.

Mike

Mike

Thanks again Mike, I will set up a quick flight and pick up some screen shots. I am certain it is something that I'm not doing correctly. Hopefully something will show up in the pictures. 

Jose

After reading all this post I think it's relay on the CS aircraft.

On any aircraft if you set the ILS freq and course it will enable the glideslope in the gauge or PFD.

If you open the map and check the frequency and set on the Nav aircraft you should see this happen.

Maybe there is some corruption on the Airac(navadata) file or on the gauge of CS aircraft.

After reading all this post I think it's relay on the CS aircraft.

On any aircraft if you set the ILS freq and course it will enable the glideslope in the gauge or PFD.

If you open the map and check the frequency and set on the Nav aircraft you should see this happen.

Maybe there is some corruption on the Airac(navadata) file or on the gauge of CS aircraft.

Agreed, I have done ILS and localizer approaches PMDG MD11, the NGX, and the Aerosoft Airbus. In both the Airbus and the MD11, the radios are tuned with the fmc or cdu, but it isn't necessary to have the fmc completely programmed with a route or even a STAR for the PFD to give you lateral and vertical guidance to the MDA or DH. In theory, you should be able to hand fly the approach without the autopilot (MCP) if you wanted and still have the localizer and glideslope appear in the PFD and ND. It does in all other aircraft simulations I have. 

The CS777 and 757 do not work this way. I'm not trying to trash Captain Sim, if it works differently that's fine. I just can't figure out how to get it work, the developer isn't saying, and I have yet to find one tutorial online that goes through the entire process.

Problem solved, brought the PMDG 777 and went flying. I just entered the same airport as departure and destination on the FMC, chose the runway for the approach, No STAR, No SID, No route. Just vectored myself to the final approach fix, turned on LOC and I just followed the Loc as if it was on a rail. Turned on APP at the glide slope intercept and she rode that down, no problem. 

Now I can actually fly instead of trying to figure out what the plane will do next.

Captain Sim 777 is in a nice comfortable heated hangar.

As far as the 757 I'll just have to use the QW version.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. 

I'm posting this in case anyone else has issues with the CS 757 or 777 following ILS, LOC, or RNAV approaches. I found the answer in an unrelated post. It seems both these aircraft are reliant on the DEFAULT FSX avionics master switch to be in the ON position. On the 757 this is easy to verify since you cannot even tune the radios on the pedestal if that switch is off. Solutions include binding that command to a key or button and make sure it is on, or saving a flight in a default aircraft with the master avionics switch in the on position and the master switch in the off position for cold and dark. Then, following your preflight routine, tune and identify a local VOR or ILS to make sure the radios are working. I have no more issues now with this product except to say that these unique features should be included in the manual somewhere, and not left up to the buyer to search every post on the internet before coming across a solution. The models are really pretty amazing to fly once their installed correctly. I now have both the PMDG and CS 777's working and a working and well detailed CS 757.

I'm posting this in case anyone else has issues with the CS 757 or 777 following ILS, LOC, or RNAV approaches. I found the answer in an unrelated post. It seems both these aircraft are reliant on the DEFAULT FSX avionics master switch to be in the ON position. On the 757 this is easy to verify since you cannot even tune the radios on the pedestal if that switch is off. Solutions include binding that command to a key or button and make sure it is on, or saving a flight in a default aircraft with the master avionics switch in the on position and the master switch in the off position for cold and dark. Then, following your preflight routine, tune and identify a local VOR or ILS to make sure the radios are working. I have no more issues now with this product except to say that these unique features should be included in the manual somewhere, and not left up to the buyer to search every post on the internet before coming across a solution. The models are really pretty amazing to fly once their installed correctly. I now have both the PMDG and CS 777's working and a working and well detailed CS 757.

Thanks for the update, that's really helpful. You say it is easy to verify on the 757, however I am still learning the 777 and could do with a bit more of step-by-step. Any chance of a couple of screenshots to show what you mean? You're right, the manual leaves a little to be desrired.

Alternatively, maybe a link to the unrelated post?

cheers

Ian

Hello Ian,

The default FSX control for Avionics Master is CTRL+Shift+A.

For the 777 here's what I did

1. Start a flight at an airport on the runway with an ILS approach and with the aircraft under power (EP or APU).
  2. Make sure the ADIRU is on then go to the FMC and enter your GPS position to align the ADIRU. (your just checking the radios so no need to enter any route or performance info) 
  3. Go to the EFIS panel (in the VC is fine no need to open 2D panel) and switch the display mode selector knob to APP.
  4. Go back to the FMC and click the RAD/NAV button. Enter the ILS frequency/course into the scratch pad
  5. Enter that info into the FMC using the select key next to PARK. The frequency and course will replace PARK

At this point the ND should display the correct ILS frequency in the top right corner, and the localizer and glideslope indicators should appear on both the PD and ND.

If not then try the key combination I mentioned in my first sentence. (of course if you assigned the default to another key, you would have to use that key or key combo)

I can't figure out how to post a link here, I will try to send you the link by pm. If I have some time later I'll post some screen shots

In the meantime I hope this helps

Hello Ian,

The default FSX control for Avionics Master is CTRL+Shift+A.

For the 777 here's what I did

1. Start a flight at an airport on the runway with an ILS approach and with the aircraft under power (EP or APU).
  2. Make sure the ADIRU is on then go to the FMC and enter your GPS position to align the ADIRU. (your just checking the radios so no need to enter any route or performance info) 
  3. Go to the EFIS panel (in the VC is fine no need to open 2D panel) and switch the display mode selector knob to APP.
  4. Go back to the FMC and click the RAD/NAV button. Enter the ILS frequency/course into the scratch pad
  5. Enter that info into the FMC using the select key next to PARK. The frequency and course will replace PARK

At this point the ND should display the correct ILS frequency in the top right corner, and the localizer and glideslope indicators should appear on both the PD and ND.

If not then try the key combination I mentioned in my first sentence. (of course if you assigned the default to another key, you would have to use that key or key combo)

I can't figure out how to post a link here, I will try to send you the link by pm. If I have some time later I'll post some screen shots

In the meantime I hope this helps

Thanks very much, I received the PM as well - ta!

Sign in to follow this