Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Intel CPU's for 2016

http://wccftech.com/intel-2016-roadmap-leaked-confirms-kaby-lakes-10-core-broadwelle-apollo-lake-processors/

Broadwell-E with 6 to 10 cores.

Kaby Lake -s 

Skylake - s

All of this is so confusing.  Which of these processors are best suited to FSX/P3D and is it worth waiting for any of them to be released ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

It all looks very interesting. Difficult to say though at this stage which processor if any would be a good option for FSX/P3D.

I assume Skylake S will be the same socket as current Skylake?

A 10ghz cpu with the architecture of skylake is what Flight Sim needs

• Upvote 2

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Looks like Kaby Lake is not to end of year and Broardwell E, expensive and does FSX/P3D really use more than four cores? :sad:

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Intel playing games with its customers, just like thousands of corporations out there- ie, The Iphone! Every 6 to 9 months heres comes the next big thing, yeah right! Intel knows very well how far their technology can push a processor. However, to keep making millions of $$$ for the executives' and their buddies' luxury, they keep bring out their "discoveries" little by little, making the people think "Oh, my a new chip, a new version with never before seen power." Aha, sure.

Or, do you really think Intel is not able to build an 8ghz or 15ghz CPU? OF COURSE THEY CAN!!!

Err... okay then.

No such thing as technological advancement... they can just do it all now.

If you say so.

Intel playing games with its customers, just like thousands of corporations out there- ie, The Iphone! Every 6 to 9 months heres comes the next big thing, yeah right! Intel knows very well how far their technology can push a processor. However, to keep making millions of $$$ for the executives' and their buddies' luxury, they keep bring out their "discoveries" little by little, making the people think "Oh, my a new chip, a new version with never before seen power." Aha, sure.

Or, do you really think Intel is not able to build an 8ghz or 15ghz CPU? OF COURSE THEY CAN!!!

Honestly I don't think they can,the issue facing CPU speed today is heat and voltage. In order to get your cpu running faster you have to pump in for voltage that voltage creates heat,which breaks the chip down. Even with liquid nitrogen cooling the fastest CPUs are maxing out at around 8ghz. You also have the voltage wall because pushing a chip above 1.5v for extended periods of time will cause degradation. This electrical and thermal wall is why CPU speeds haven't increased for about 10 years instead we add more cores and make refinements on architecture to make them better as processing information.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Upgrade every couple years is good rule, but Intel only thing I pay attnetion too what performance the cpu gives me. The CEO could be Brenie Madoff or Gordon Gecko long as technology advances.

Performance and features. Sometimes performance only increases a tad, but the platform offers other benefits that are useful.

But no, manufactures can't at all suddenly give us 15GHz and awesome IPC if they want to, that suggestion is just plain wrong I'm afraid and smacks of a conspiracy theory, and I hate conspiracy theory.

There are numerous technical hurdles that make that rather hard. Heat and voltage is one of them as David said, but the other is transistor size, the transistors that make up the CPU need to shrink down in size in order to increase IPC. When that happens quantum mechanical effects take place and the signal jumps across the components of the chip when it shouldn't.

I suggest you take a physiscs 101 course...

Or even cooking classes.

But, there is a valid point. Corporations know very well what they can develop without waiting.  But, remember $$$ is more important to them than providing a better product. Hence, the gradual release of "new versions."

Yes, there are technological advances, such as a Nokia 1200 vs a Samsung Galaxy. However, A Samsung Galaxy 2 vs a 6? No advancement, just  bit more icons, colors, a stronger processor. etc, etc. Same with the I-phone, cars, graphic cards. Or an F-15 vs an SU35.. or an F-16 vs an SU 27 etc. etc. etc

My PC is 3 years old..i7-3770K OCed to 4.5Ghz. and its reasonably ok.. for P3D. with the recent improvements from LM 3.335 for cloud performance.. I am ok

With these small micro improvements from Intel.. I think I'll be ok to wait for another 2 years before upgrading

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The problem is that single thread performance gains have not been that impressive. Since P3d loads one core heavily, every Intel tick or tock improves performance only slightly. I'm not saying that the Passmark benchmark is the be-all end-all word on CPU performance, but take a look at these single thread results:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The Overclocked CPU section might give better results , if you're overclocking, of course......

http://www.avsim.com/topic/489489-just-ordered-the-following-for-p3d33/page-5#entry3439924

But that's still all relative, since most people with flight sim apps have Intel CPUs that can be overclocked.