Sign in to follow this  
pinlifter

TWA Across the Caribbean

Well at least it says TWA on the tail :lol:

AAL1883(MWCR-TJBQ) departs the Grand Cayman islands for a 2 hour flight to the western side of Puerto Rico

aal1883_zpsd77rxri3.jpg

aal1883-1_zpskjhvt36a.jpg

aal1883-2_zpskkpu4wbn.jpg

aal1883-3_zpsww9yxmdk.jpg

aal1883-4_zpskokriry9.jpg

aal1883-5_zpsistqaahz.jpg

aal1883-6_zps9u252axj.jpg

aal1883-7_zpsqgx18t4t.jpg

aal1883-8_zpstpv6uelj.jpg

aal1883-9_zps7fefyuuj.jpg

aal1883-10_zpsmhdhqhsh.jpg

aal1883-11_zpsg8r8axvy.jpg

Chris Sunseri

Nice screen shots! LIke how the red border helps accentuate the livery. Sad! Moved around a lot as a kid, but much of my growing up was in Kansas City, which for years was the home of TWA. My first airplane ride ever was on a TWA Super Connie from KMKC to KMIA in about 1965 on a family vacation.  My first employment after university was with Procter and Gambles Folger's Coffee Company, based at that time in Kansas City. My Folger's sales management training took place at TWA's Breech Training Academy in Overland Park, Kansas. TWA's flight staff members were trained there. That was in 1975 and the facilities there were at that time beyond state-of-the-art. The flight attendants who were trained there all referred to themselves (internal within the company) as Breech Babies! I learned that during my interaction with TWA trainees during my two week stay there. TWA later moved their operations to St Louis. That well before the merger with American.

Later in my business career, and particularly after that merger with American, and on flights bearing the common livery that you posted,TWA flight attendants would still be wearing their TWA uniforms. I would occasionally select out an attendant, based on appropriate age, and inquire if she were a Breech Baby. In each instance I would get a great big smile, an inquiry as to how I knew about that, and a free drink or two.

This Wiki page is a great read!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_Academy

I really miss TWA and its history!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Post-Christmas freight delivery commissions tailed off, Chris ?(sorry about that pun, with your TWA comment)

Nice set if shots as per your high standards.

Great set of shots, Chris.

Miss TWA!

Many thanks Jim! I miss it along with so many others

Nice screen shots! LIke how the red border helps accentuate the livery

I appreciate it Frank! My red border along with TWA are a coincidence and a good one at that.

That's really neat about your first airplane ride. I was just a toddler on my first one, but my Mom did say I lost a shoe onboard lol. The breech baby story is hilarious and you probably got some pretty strange looks when you mentioned it....great way to get some freebies!

Post-Christmas freight delivery commissions tailed off, Chris ?(sorry about that pun, with your TWA comment)

Thanks Rick!  I do manage to get a few non-freighter flights from time to time, but I always say the fewer windows (and passengers) the better :smile:

Chris Sunseri

The breech baby story is hilarious and you probably got some pretty strange looks when you mentioned it....great way to get some freebies!

The looks were anything but strange. What can I say here? Please understand that these instances occurred at a time when TWA was losing it's identity. And to those who were Breech Babies, a mention of that was a link to their past. An historical past. The looks I got were looks of amazement. And looks of a common appreciation. An appreciation of those who understood what the term meant.  It runs deeper than you might guess. 

If you read that Wiki page it lacks one dimension. We stayed among the trainees in the circular dorms that are mentioned. The interaction in the evenings was close and personal. But it had to stop there. Any inappropriate interaction meant dismissal. And there were other pressures on the trainees. There was a fully equipped passenger fuselage on the grounds, and each trainee had to more than successfully pass emergency procedures during the training. There were more than enough trainees and other training visitors on the grounds to fill that passenger compartment. The tests were to fill the seats. Then call out at random the appropriate number of trainees for a typical staff. Then engage emergency procedures. PA announcements/instructions. Emergency door and slide deployment.  Directing and control of passengers onto and out of the emergency exits. And any slip up resulted in washing out and going home.

The trainees each knew all too well that their personal test was coming. Had to happen to graduate. The pressure was intense because the timing was unpredictable. Each did not know when it would be their own turn. The emotional pressure was great. Each was there because they aspired to the role, and the image it conveyed for women at the time.  And each looked forward to graduation, and the applause of their families and friends at that time.

Breech Baby was a label for those who succeeded. And it was one of deep pride.

No strange looks. But instead looks of remembrance and accomplishment. And surprise and appreciation for the recognition, especially when the sun was setting on the brand, and that legacy of the Breech Academy.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere