Sign in to follow this  
beep

engine intake open or closed at take off?

Hello,

I fly the Dash using FS2crew.

The originating flow of FS2crew mentions : engine intake door open (the FO needs them open for his walk around. Do no forget to close them)

But I see you and Josh taking off in the FO videos with the engine intake doors open. So what is the right procedure here?

Jos

Hello,

I fly the Dash using FS2crew.

The originating flow of FS2crew mentions : engine intake door open (the FO needs them open for his walk around. Do no forget to close them)

But I see you and Josh taking off in the FO videos with the engine intake doors open. So what is the right procedure here?

Jos

Hi Jos

In the Cadet course we switched them on and off as we ran into icing conditions with the SOP being to leave them off otherwise. The Flybe SOP changed afterwards to leaving them on all the time as the motors in the doors were wearing out quickly. There are actually two stages to the doors - the doors being open and the heaters being on. You can see on the ground that the doors are open but the switch light changes once the the engines are started to reflect that the doors are open and the heaters are on.

As long as the OAT is below around 20, you can leave them on all the time. One less thing to worry about in the busy Dash.

We did have a short section in the Q&A where we talk about some changes in SOP since the Cadet course, but some over zealous editing seems to have given it the chop. I'll see if I can find it and bring it back when we remaster the first video, which we need to do anyhow as it has an audio glitch in halfway through.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I think quite a few operators now leave them open for takeoff to reduce likelihood/severity of FOD ingestion during departure (I'd have thought the props "bat" such FOD out the way, but apparently not). Hadn't heard about the motor wear issue, interesting.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Great thread started by OP as I too have the PRO version after I'd bought the original. and have the FS2Crew Voice but have yet to fire her up. Even bought the A2Sim package.

Must get around to hauling her out of the hangar!