Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

Alienware laptop delivery problems

I just had my 3rd order from Alienware pushed back considerably or been instructed to cancel the order and reorder another unit since the beginning of October. They will not tell me what parts are not available and are causing the problem. Initially I ordered a 15" followed by another 15" when instructed to cancel the first one. Then when the 2nd one ran int delivery problems they offered a 17" for a good price so once again I bit. The reason for the 17" was I was assured there would be no delivery problems with a 17". Then last night comes another email that they are again backing off delivery 2 months. Last night On the phone on hold for the better part of an hour only to be fed a line of garbage with no information on what is causing the holdup. This machine is a retirement gift to myself. Got to buy this thing while I am still working.

My reason for selecting Alienware is many years ago I bought a 14" gaming rig and it still works beautifully but is down on power compared to today's hardware and as I'm getting older a bigger screen would be welcome. Also, when buying a laptop I've found buying the most power initially that you can fit in the budget results in the longest useful life gaming wise and it the long run is more cost effective.

I understand there can be problems in delivery but don't feed the customer a load of what comes out the south end of a northbound horse.

To say I am disappointed with the level of service is an understatement. I am curious if anyone else in the last 6 months is having the same difficulty with Alienware.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave

Look into an MSI gaming laptop,they have one that uses an actual GTX980 and a 19"screen and another that has 2xgtx980ms I love MSI stuff (all my computers components are from them) that's who I'm gonna buy my gaming laptop from if I get a carrier based plane in the Navy,being at sea for 8 months with no Flightsim would be torture lol

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I find this thread ironic, considering others, in the other Dell thread are extolling their virtues.

Hope you get this sorted out Dave, sounds unbelievably frustrating.

I had two more telephone conversations with Alienware/Dell yesterday. They say there are now trying to find me a machine in the "system" that they can get to me by next week. The 2nd I have asked for a now available upgrade on one component at no charge(to keep the deal alive)  that wasn't available at time of order a month ago. They are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow. That said I have less than total faith that they will do what they say they will do. That pile out the south end of the northbound horse is getting deeper. Hopefully this gets resolved as I would like to have this machine the way I've specced it out. I believe the problem is not with the sales rep and his boss but rather the organization that is having problems producing the products ordered.

...z06z33 (is your username associated with the car?) I went to the local computer shop that I've been dealing with for years who sell MSI and they have one with 17" g-sync 75htz display, I7-6820, 4 gig nividia 980, 16 gigs of 2100 ram, etc that is a definite possibility. My only concern with the unit is the the lid with the display seems fragile and I'm wondering how it'd hold up with a lot of travel - it's apparently an expensive display to replace......otherwise it is a very interesting machine. Thanks for the suggestion. I may end up with it.

I had two more telephone conversations with Alienware/Dell yesterday. They say there are now trying to find me a machine in the "system" that they can get to me by next week. The 2nd I have asked for a now available upgrade on one component at no charge(to keep the deal alive)  that wasn't available at time of order a month ago. They are supposed to get back to me by tomorrow. That said I have less than total faith that they will do what they say they will do. That pile out the south end of the northbound horse is getting deeper. Hopefully this gets resolved as I would like to have this machine the way I've specced it out. I believe the problem is not with the sales rep and his boss but rather the organization that is having problems producing the products ordered.

...z06z33 (is your username associated with the car?) I went to the local computer shop that I've been dealing with for years who sell MSI and they have one with 17" g-sync 75htz display, I7-6820, 4 gig nividia 980, 16 gigs of 2100 ram, etc that is a definite possibility. My only concern with the unit is the the lid with the display seems fragile and I'm wondering how it'd hold up with a lot of travel - it's apparently an expensive display to replace......otherwise it is a very interesting machine. Thanks for the suggestion. I may end up with it.

Yea I have a Corvette hence the Z06 and I also have a 350z the Z33 part.

If you decide to get the MSI one let me know how it runs FS!!!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I've got a 370 roadster 6 speed manual. Had it for five years. Been a great car. Had a boxster before that...reliability was not its strong suit.

No word from Alienware as of yet.

Just cancel and look at Sager notebooks

http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

They're quality gaming notebooks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Alienware is now trying to get me to order a 4th now that order #3 is dead. They sweetened the deal but I have little faith that they'll actually be able to deliver a unit. Interesting seeing as Best Buy is now carrying them in town and in stock. Looked at MSI as suggested and found a GT72 at the local store that is pretty interesting plus the video card is upgradable down the road.

Dell have very poor service, i bought a XPS17 a few years ago and it took 3months to arrive, although it is the best laptop i ever bought, i`ve just replace the HDD with SSD`s and some new ram, I looked at Alienware back then as well and thought it was overpriced.

tpewpb-6.png

Finally gave up on the Alienware. Getting a MSI GT72s.

Finally gave up on the Alienware. Getting a MSI GT72s.

Looking forward to hearing about it!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Specs.... I7-6820, nvidia 980m 4 gig, 24 gigs ram, 128 gig ssd, 512 gig ssd, 1tb 7200rpm HD, 75hz display with G-sync 1920x1200. I knew next to nothing about MSI till I looked into them. Impressive laptops. Figure I'll get quite a few years out of this unit plus the gpu is upradeable. Thanks for the suggestion z06z33.