Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 User NOTAM....do you want one of the best views from any flight sim? Huh?L

I will need to update my drivers first. i left out all updates in the last 8 months because of issues with other games (Fallout3 and Skyrim which I play occasionally).

Can you maybe take photos / video using a smart phone or other device? I would so love to see this! At least we could see the glints and effects even if the colour would not be true ....

Would you even see anything from a smartphone grab?  I will try that..and see what happens...but would really wish those to see this on their screen, unadulterated in any way for themselves!

I was just coming back to blog...that there is even sun glinting off the vapor trails  of both engines.  You can then see a highlighted glint along the tops of the vapor trails...this is fantastic.  There is much more sun-play and shadow play on the plane, inside the nacelles towards the compressor blades...down upon the ground...and the clouds now have transparency to them..you can actually SEE through some elements of them to the ground...gorgeous!  

This visual recipe should be bottled....!  LOL  Having a blast as you can see...

I'll take a smartphone screen shot of my monitor and see how it looks....if crappy...I won't post.

Mitch

Sascha...what a great idea..it WORKED!  I got some great shots with my Samsung Galaxy5!

I'll dial into my system and post them as soon as I can.  Good suggestion. It just can't come across in computer grabs...but did get captured with a SHOT of the monitor...great idea!  

Will post shortly....

Mitch

:smile: :good:

Sascha...I did upload them...and posted them for a second...but honestly, as I thought, even with taking shot with my phone..which adds its own layer of whatever...they didn't look good as I looked at them...so deleted.

Just try it out for yourself...where you should view, upon your own monitor...and that will be the best representation!

Mitch

Pictures didn't translate out...

Post edit: Interesting...I just looked at them again...my smarpthone shots..and they look good on my monitor...showing the same detail as on my screen..but when I posted them to AVSIM, they went too dark...and lost detail. I wonder if the pictures are compressed or altered in the upload and posting to the forum. I don't know...but they looked no way like what they should. So..this thread will remain, pic-free, lol.

Mitch, could you please PM me the images or send them to fs9evo(at)gmail.com?

This is such a load of BS... how would 16bit color give you greater deapth that 32bit  :fool:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about so just stop it ok.

I will PM you if you really want...but Sascha, in my opinion, you will not see the true image...for one thing, the pics come uploaded as too dark, and truly lack detail. But..if you insist...I will.  In my opinion, that should not be the first impression you see. :sad:

But hey..here's a shot of our Christmas tree this season...shot off my phone...so a belated Merry Christmas to you !

Oh...presents were already grabbed up at this point. LOL!

470.jpg

This is such a load of BS... how would 16bit color give you greater deapth that 32bit  :fool:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about so just stop it ok.

It visually has better depth in view...and I don't really care, that it is 16 or 32 bit, quite frankly..it is what is actually playing out on my screen. If you take offense that I use the word 'depth' to describe the visual experience and saturation...then that is what it is...but YES...there is greater depth and believeability in running FS9 in 16 mode, with all that I have posted here.

So sorry to have offended your 'technical sense'. ;)  Yes..I know on a TECHNICAL viewpoint, that 32 bit has more rasters...like DUH!  I am talking about visual perception here...  Your post was quite insulting and aggressive....so, how 'bout YOU stop...huh?

Have you looked at your clouds and sky in 16bit mode? You like the color banding effect that happens when you're trying to display more colors than your display is running at?

If so, by all means go ahead and enjoy 16bit colors...

my oh my...

Have you looked at your clouds and sky in 16bit mode? You like the color banding effect that happens when you're trying to display more colors than your display is running at?

If so, by all means go ahead and enjoy 16bit colors...

my oh my...

Yes, that is there, but a very small price for all that it also brings to the table...and the banding is not there all the time...not an annoyance by any means.. :)  The rest of the view...99 percent is awesome!  32 Bit looks hazed and washed out.

Look, noted...this will be a totally user yes, or no posting.  Some will like it..and run with it...and some will not, and move on.  That is how it should be...but when I found this so different, I decided to post my experience. Simple as that.

I went back one more time to 32 bit...and while the slight banding dissapeared, So too, did all the other great visuals revealed at 16 bit. I went right back to 16 bit...and carried on.  Personal preference, for sure.

Pics sent to your email....but they still looked too dark on the wings, etc...so just try this out for yourself, Sascha...and move on, if you don't like the view experience. :)   How interesting, that something does not translate out in view...when uploading the pics.  Didn't like them at all..but on my phone, they looked true as on the monitor.  Must be the resolution upon both my monitor, and phone...1080P or higher....oh well.

But hey..here's a shot of our Christmas tree this season...shot off my phone...so a belated Merry Christmas to you !

Oh...presents were already grabbed up at this point. LOL!

And to you too Mitch! And a Happy New Year to you too of course!

I tried it. And unfortunately at night the taxi/landing lights are a bit rainbowy. Also fog is the same. However in 32bit the colour depth is still there and no rainbowy effects. I am also experiencing another benefit from the point of view of my landing lights. The main beam landing lights have always been too intense so that little or no detail shows through. Now, however the bleached intensity has gone.

Nice to see some enthusiasm for our beloved sim...

Speaking as a very contented 301.42 customer, I prefer not to have the banded rainbow effect that 16 bit colour depth affords - and I too would like to see screenshots before I mess up a system that works really well!

I tried it. And unfortunately at night the taxi/landing lights are a bit rainbowy. Also fog is the same. However in 32bit the colour depth is still there and no rainbowy effects. I am also experiencing another benefit from the point of view of my landing lights. The main beam landing lights have always been too intense so that little or no detail shows through. Now, however the bleached intensity has gone.

Yes, I did mention that 32 bit is better suited for dark or night operation. :)

Nice to see some enthusiasm for our beloved sim...

Speaking as a very contented 301.42 customer, I prefer not to have the banded rainbow effect that 16 bit colour depth affords - and I too would like to see screenshots before I mess up a system that works really well!

There is some slight banding horizontally across the sky...but mostly masked.  Where this really shines, is on plane surfaces, and looking down upon the terrain.  I had some time ago, created a an FS camera vid of one of my landings into Toronto, inbound from approach vectors over Hamilton.  I reran that vid today, and truly enjoyed the glint and highlights off of the snowy fields that are not there in 32 bit mode. In 32 bit mode, just a hazy white, but in 16 bit...there are elements of higher light and glint upon the fields..and makes for much more realism. I really am loving what this is doing for scenery, colors are much more vivid, even at Toronto Pearson's airport structures.  It is really working for me.  

Screen shots don't come across with the benefits of this...you just have to try it out on your own system and assess from there... 

Mitch

I think what you are experiencing is actually a LOSS of colour gradient.

You could get the same effect by attaching an old CRT to your computer.

I tried it and the Nvidia colour enhancement with 32 bit is definitely a great enhancement. Contrasts on ground textures are better defined, reflections are more dramatic and coloring seems more natural and has a better feeling of depth. I think being able to use DSR (which I can't) will improve the look even more and will probably also explain why Mitch is seeing very little banding. I use both sweetfx and enbseries and the result is really a very noticeable improvement. Since you only need to tick the two boxes in the Nvidia Control Panel, this is also really easy to check out!

Edit: Will add some screenshots over the weekend.