Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

[Training Video]: How to land in high winds

I know about windy landings in a 150 because one great summer long ago my buddy decided to teach me to fly his Cessna. This guy was a natural flyer and could fly anything but was a very impatient teacher. I do remember one very windy day he made me land in a 25 mph wind and I think I lost 25 pounds in sweat as well. 

Nothing in FSX can come close to those feelings of sliding and bumping and almost hovering and the rush when those wheels hit the dirt is far beyond virtual. I have tried to set up my flight sims to capture just a fraction of that but Accu-feel  and all the other "real as it gets" addon's just don't cut it. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Nothing in FSX can come close to those feelings of sliding and bumping and almost hovering and the rush when those wheels hit the dirt is far beyond virtual. I have tried to set up my flight sims to capture just a fraction of that but Accu-feel  and all the other "real as it gets" addon's just don't cut it. 

I haven't found anything that comes close yet. There really isn't much that can replace the feeling of the aircraft through the seat and being there.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi guys.

I am back to making training videos and in this video we talk about how to manage the approach speed for high winds. 

https://youtu.be/SOqakM3y0zY

Kind regards,

Thank's for this video,

Hope you can do another for crosswind situation.

Angelo,

I'm super excited now! I can't believe I haven't purchased this thing earlier. I got Active Sky for Christmas and it seems like that swaying / turbulence effect has been kicked up a notch in the VC, and I really liked it. Seeing Alex's vid makes me wanting more.

I hope I'm not having to go to school to learn how to use the thing, which is why I asked for Alex's vibration profile. Plug and play is what I'd like to do.  

I recently added a 2nd monitor for which I placed my 2D OH/fire/comm panels, as scrolling using the hat switch and no EZdok to see and press buttons in the VC was impossible. PMDG did an incredible job on the 3d cockpit, and the buttons and switches are so much better looking then the 3d panels, but getting to the buttons and pressing them while in flight - particularly during takeoff and landings - without something like EZdok is impossible.

I see EZdok has some sort of panoramic mode... could it stretch the VC cockpit across 2 screens? This would be like a dream come true.

Check your email.

Worth noting that, like many things in aviation, there are many different mentalities when addressing wind correction. The most common one I've seen with larger aircraft is as Alex stated, but in initial training many are taught simply half the gust factor. Some operators only add the gust factor alone (unmodified). There are also some that use whichever is greater between a modification of the steady state or the gust. There's another method about using ground speed and wind components, but as far as I know, that's specific to the USAF.

Another method to throw into the mix, if your operator allows it, is to use the auto throttle to touchdown or fly the approach with the HUD which allows VREF + 5 knots regardless of winds. 

Nothing in FSX can come close to those feelings of sliding and bumping and almost hovering and the rush when those wheels hit the dirt is far beyond virtual. I have tried to set up my flight sims to capture just a fraction of that but Accu-feel and all the other "real as it gets" addon's just don't cut it.

I think the closest you can get would be the addition to a "Butt Kicker" to your chair.

Tom Cain

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thank's for this video,

Hope you can do another for crosswind situation.

Hi Simbio,

If there is a crosswind with no gusts. Then you would maintain your VREF+5. You only take the headwind component plus the full gust wind increment (the gust increment can be from any direction)

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Hi Simbio,

If there is a crosswind with no gusts. Then you would maintain your VREF+5. You only take the headwind component plus the full gust wind increment (the gust increment can be from any direction)

Thank's

I am always fithing to keep on course.