Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

Can I use my Apple keyboard to activate the flaps?

I'm setting up FSX and the PMDG 777 and using an Apple iMac with 64 bit "Windows 7" in Bootcamp.

I want to use my Apple keyboard but can't figure out how to activate the flaps. The PC keyboard uses F7 (down) and F5 (up) whereas the Apple keyboard has no effect of the flaps when using those keys. Alternatively I'd like to use buttons on the joystick if that's possible.

Can this problem be solved?

Cliff

I'm setting up FSX and the PMDG 777 and using an Apple iMac with 64 bit "Windows 7" in Bootcamp.

I want to use my Apple keyboard but can't figure out how to activate the flaps. The PC keyboard uses F7 (down) and F5 (up) whereas the Apple keyboard has no effect of the flaps when using those keys. Alternatively I'd like to use buttons on the joystick if that's possible.

Can this problem be solved?

Cliff

Have you tried holding down the fn key together with F5 and F7? If this works, you can change this setting within Boot Camp so that you don't need to press fn to enable the function keys.

Walter Meier

Walter...you're a PRINCE!

I've been scouring the Net for an answer and had almost given up.

Holding fn does the trick and I thank you.

A follow up question though. How do I change the setting within Bootcamp so that I don't need to press fn?

Cliff

System Preferences, Keyboard, tick the box for use STANDARD F1, F2 etc.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Walter...you're a PRINCE!

I've been scouring the Net for an answer and had almost given up.

Holding fn does the trick and I thank you.

A follow up question though. How do I change the setting within Bootcamp so that I don't need to press fn?

Cliff

Interesting questions. I actually had an Apple keyboard save my [rear] last night when my normal keyboard decided to start hating the USB port it was using. Then again, I only used it to log in and troubleshoot, and it was plugged into a Win machine, so it reads the presses differently.

Full names - first and last - in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

System Preferences, Keyboard, tick the box for use STANDARD F1, F2 etc.

This is certainly one way to do this, but if you want to flip the functions in Windows only, go to your Boot Camp Control Panel within Windows (right click the gray diamond in the taskbar). You'll see the same option there under the keyboard tab.

Walter Meier