Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

My new Skylake/SLI simming/gaming computer

Damn, a lot of money on this for sure. Just wondering how much of this will really help your sim.. maybe very little. Perhaps the only really good item is the processor- all others are very likely, not a waste but an over-built?

I've seen several videos online from Rob, with a near $1,000 CPU, yet, you can clearly see stutters and frame-rate issues along with OOMs. So, not to ruin the excitement, but you could achive the same performance you'll have with half the cost of this.

Forgot to ask, what case are you using??

Its the Corsair 760t white

Damn, a lot of money on this for sure. Just wondering how much of this will really help your sim.. maybe very little. Perhaps the only really good item is the processor- all others are very likely, not a waste but an over-built?

I've seen several videos online from Rob, with a near $1,000 CPU, yet, you can clearly see stutters and frame-rate issues along with OOMs. So, not to ruin the excitement, but you could achive the same performance you'll have with half the cost of this.

It was a sponsored build for my company that is getting into gaming from another sports industry so money wasnt really an issue. Myself and another FS enthusiast built it with parts provided from Corsair, Zotac, Astro gaming, and performance-pcs. It wont be used solely for FS purposes but I will admit that the skylake works very well compared to a 6-core setup that I have with similar specs. Dont know why and what the reason a 4 core would out perform a 6 core. But in my testing it does well. Certainly FSX/P3D perform poorly compared to platforms like DCS and thats really because the technology is ancient and inefficient. But I will still enjoy flying my way around on it anyway. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Sponsored for a company... but there's another reason enthusiasts build a rig like this. For asthetics, it's a work of art. It's not always about performance. There's great satisfaction in creating something unique.

Nice pics - I have recently equipped myself with the same CPU + motherboard + graphics cards as you.

X-Plane runs great (as do all my games etc) but P3D runs like a pig. Go figure!

Sponsored for a company... but there's another reason enthusiasts build a rig like this. For asthetics, it's a work of art. It's not always about performance. There's great satisfaction in creating something unique.

Exactly, we could have just slapped the parts together but we always like to put some flair on systems. A huge side window doesnt mean much if there isnt something to exhibit inside of it. Presentation for enthusiast system builders is equally (if not more) important as the specs. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

So I finally got to benchmark this thing in P3D and it KILLS the performance I had on my Broadwell system by about a 15% margin. I really couldnt understand how a 4 core processor could beat out a 6-core so handedly but I ran some single thread performance benchmarks and realized that the per-core performance of Skylake is significantly higher than Broadwell cpu's. With the exception of some one off synthetic benchmarks and rendering programs, Skylake is the clear winner in the Intel "tick-tock" roadmap for the time being. We will see how Broadwell-E does when that refresh comes. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Thanks for the update Josh. My Skylake rig is STILL in boxes. A bedroom revamp in progress before I can build. Very frustrating.

Wow, I see in pic 2 that you even installed the Enterprise's warp core! :D

That is one very neat looking machine. Congrats on the time/effort/result!

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne