Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Landing/taxi lights dont illuminate ground at dusk

OK I'll try it in a stock aircraft and see what happens.  I just find it really odd that 30 mins before it's "officially dark" in the sim where the light is fading fast I have every bulb on my 737 switched on and I still can't see a thing.

@Bobsk8

The issue I reported was using the NGX without the immersion package.  The lights only illuminated the ground when it was "nearly dark".  If you I set the clock to dusk where the light was fading the lights didn't illuminate.  It's only about 15 mins before night time kicks when it did.  Same issue applied to dawn.  I purchased the immersion package over the weekend and this fixes the issues because if the volumetric lighting which greatly enhances the brightness.

Thomas Derbyshire

By any chance  are  you using  rex  textures  at all?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Kyle - would it be possible to update 737 with same option as 777 has ( day light illumination ) ?

Artur 

What is volumetric lighting? 

That appearance that you're flying through fog. Always.

OK I'll try it in a stock aircraft and see what happens.  I just find it really odd that 30 mins before it's "officially dark" in the sim where the light is fading fast I have every bulb on my 737 switched on and I still can't see a thing.

Screenshot?

Kyle Rodgers

Well I have installed the 737 immersion package now so would have to uninstall and start messing about. I'm not that bothered anymore. Others clearly have the same issue so whether its a PMDG issue or not it would be good to get to the bottom of it.

@pete_auau yes I do have REX textures. I did try nearly all the different themes for "landing lights" including the extreme options but this didn't make any difference at dusk.

Thomas Derbyshire

I flew a few test flights yesterday which I posted on another thread on this topic.  I started all the flights from a daylight situation and ending at dusk or later. In each case, when it was just starting to get dark, the illumination from landing and taxi lights was minimal at best. When it really began getting dark, then the lights worked well. Not sure if this is a limitation of P3D V3.1 or the 737, but I am satisfied, than when it is really dark and past the beginning of dusk conditions, the lights work normally. Now i have the immersion package installed, so this may affect how this works. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Exactly my experience Bob but it is much better with the 737 immersion installed.

Thomas Derbyshire

Right despite my previous claims that the 737 immersion pack has enhanced the brightness at dusk after some more testing and fiddling I can confirm this is NOT the case so I'm back to square one.  The 3D volumetric lighting providing by 737 immersion only works in low visibility conditions.  I will post some screenshots as requested to show you exactly what I mean.

Thomas Derbyshire

Is the P3D "landing lights illuminate ground" box checked in the Display > Lighting settings?

Kyle Rodgers

Im using FSX Steam edition and yes the equivalent option is ticked.  I can see lights on the ground but only at night, not dusk or dawn.  If I set dusk time to 15 mins before night time kicks in (if that makes sense) I see the lights but for the 45 mins during the transition from dusk to night they are barely visible.  I wouldn't care but I do a lot of night to dawn, day to dusk flying because I enjoy watching the sunrise/sunset so when I land and can't see a thing it kills the immersion.

Thomas Derbyshire

Im using FSX Steam edition and yes the equivalent option is ticked.  I can see lights on the ground but only at night, not dusk or dawn.  If I set dusk time to 15 mins before night time kicks in (if that makes sense) I see the lights but for the 45 mins during the transition from dusk to night they are barely visible.  I wouldn't care but I do a lot of night to dawn, day to dusk flying because I enjoy watching the sunrise/sunset so when I land and can't see a thing it kills the immersion.

In the years since the FSX (and later FSX:SE) release, I've never seen an issue raised about this. The only time we started to see light issues was due to updates from LM in P3D, as far as I'm aware.

Can you post a screenshot so I can get an idea of what you're seeing? Also, are you using any modifications of any kind? Texture packs? Lighting mods like ENB? Anything.

Kyle Rodgers

I use REX for textures along with ASN,  Steve's DX10 fixer, all the usual ORBX addons and a bunch of payware airports.  I'll post some screenshots so you can see for yourself. Thanks for your help.

Thomas Derbyshire

Is the NGX not dx10 compatible? I can do this but have start messing with my fsx.cfg and nvidia inspector settings or will disabling the dx10 checkbox in the sim suffice?

Thomas Derbyshire

Is the NGX not dx10 compatible? I can do this but have start messing with my fsx.cfg and nvidia inspector settings or will disabling the dx10 checkbox in the sim suffice?

It is not. Keep in mind that this was released before the 'fixer' came into play, and we can't expect people are going to go buy something to 'fix' MS's failed/flawed attempt at implementing DX10 for something so basic.

The Intro Manual also specifies that DX10 should be turned off.

Kyle Rodgers