Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Landing/taxi lights dont illuminate ground at dusk

Hi all,

Not sure if this is specific to just the NGX so I need to do more testing with my other aircraft. It appears the landing and taxi lights dont illuminate the ground at dusk. It seems time specific in terms of when they do, say the start of dusk is 17:00 and it turns to night at 18:00. At 17:00 i dont see the lights on the ground but say 15 mins before 18:00 I do?? The lights are visible on the exterior they just don't illuminate the ground. Difficult to explain, it seems linked to when the airport lights on the terminals and taxi way and runway come on as well. Is this an FSX issue or something specific to me?

I have animations checked and the lights illuminate ground option checked in the options. Im using FSX steam edition.

Thanks

Thomas Derbyshire

Is this an FSX issue or something specific to me?

Have a look at the Intro Manual.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks....would you like to give me a clue?  I have read all the documentation although it was sometime ago I read the introduction PDF.  I have just done a search for "lights" through the whole document although it is 137 pages long.

Thomas Derbyshire

From my experience.. In fsx at dusk.. Or early morning the lighting isn't very bright.. Not realistic at all. After dusk during the onset of actual night... Or almost complete darkness.. The lights actually illuminate the ground.

In P3D V.3.0 they don't illuminate the runway at all!

Dave Taylor gb.png

In P3D V.3.0 they don't illuminate the runway at all!

Not in P3D version 3.1 either. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I've just had confirmation from a pal that the Illumination from the runway lights and taxi lights don't work and he's also using P3D V3.1 so what are you going to do about this PMDG please?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Have a look at the Intro Manual.

I did, and can't find anything on this topic. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I've just had confirmation from a pal that the Illumination from the runway lights and taxi lights don't work and he's also using P3D V3.1 so what are you going to do about this PMDG please?

Are you sure its a pmdg issue and not p3d?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Are you sure its a pmdg issue and not p3d?

Someone just  posted on Facebook this morning that this may be a bug in P3D, since not all aircraft produce the runway lighting effects in the same way as PMDG according to PMDG tech support. .That is strange because the OP is outlining the exact same problem with his FSX steam edition. 

• Upvote 1

I did, and can't find anything on this topic. 

Sorry - got confused between the NGX and 777. In the latter, we have a DAWN/DUSK lighting option.

Either way, I don't see that this is the same issue with the old P3D issue (where the landing lights wouldn't show up at all at night).

Kyle Rodgers

This is definitely a PMDG issue because the lights function just fine in my A2A aircraft. Last night I purchased the 737 Immersion package from FSFX and this fixes the problem because their program provides 3D volumetric lighting. I didnt buy it to fix this issue but it was a welcome bonus.

Thomas Derbyshire

This is definitely a PMDG issue because the lights function just fine in my A2A aircraft. Last night I purchased the 737 Immersion package from FSFX and this fixes the problem because their program provides 3D volumetric lighting. I didnt buy it to fix this issue but it was a welcome bonus.

The A2A aircraft use volumetric lighting as well. I'm failing to see how this is a PMDG "issue."

Kyle Rodgers

Odd... I'm running P3d 3.1 and don't have this issue. The lights illuminate the ground just fine (both landing and taxi), even when I start up during the day (I think. I'll have to do a test to be 100% sure about this). This did not work for me in 3.0, so 3.1 was definitely the fix. I didn't do a complete installation of 3.1, just the Client and the Content.

Walter Meier

Odd... I'm running P3d 3.1 and don't have this issue. The lights illuminate the ground just fine (both landing and taxi), even when I start up during the day (I think. I'll have to do a test to be 100% sure about this). This did not work for me in 3.0, so 3.1 was definitely the fix. I didn't do a complete installation of 3.1, just the Client and the Content.

I am still experimenting with this issue. I started two flights today, about 45 minutes before sundown, and the lights worked OK. BTW, I have the Immersion also on P3D V3.1.  Next I am going to start a flight way before dusk starts setting in, and see what happens. What is volumetric lighting?