Sign in to follow this  
buainainmu

DX10 Fixer doesn't work properly

Well firstly what is your order number and why do you perceive  that there is a problem with DX10SF not working properly?

The diagnosis is telling you some important things that you ought to deal with in your fsx system and some useful advice on things that you should consider dealing with which is the whole point of the diagnosis - its not a fault that it is giving you sensible advice!

DX10SF would be working properly within the constraints of your system - For example you haven't select the toned shadows options in the shadows dialog - perhaps you decided not to but my advice would be to select it.  DX10SF will therefore not be toning the shadows to match surfaces facing away from the sun - its working fine with the (sub optimal) settings that you have chosen.

On the first problem the advice given in the diagnosis is the correct advice - uninstall libs/reinstall should just copy in the correct DX10SF bkg.bmp. 

However its worth mentioning that I did have one customer recently where some other program or repair process seemed to have  corrupted the bkg.bmp in the Dx10SF directory - i.e something  outside the fixer  seemed to have  replaced the DX10SF master copy of bkg.bmp in its private directory with a version from 2007 as well as also changing the live version in fsx in the same way?!!! 

In that case I got him to uninstall the fixer from control panel and reinstall which recovered the original Dx10SF bkg.bmp.  If this becomes prevalent  I shall have to  ship the original as read only or give it a different name to protect DX10SF from this but I find it so bizarrely unlikely for anything to do this - i.e search the whole disk for files called bkg.bmp  and replace them with a version from 2007?

Seems to me the clear steps are already in the popup warning.....

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

There is no "problem"  with DX10SF  

There is some clear advice given on two problems with your fsx  system and some hints about other things that you may want to consider.

1)  your bkg.bmp is the wrong size.  As it says uninstall the libraries and  install using the button on the screen labelled uninstall/install  which will copy in the fixer copy.  This is described in chapter 3 of the manual.

In the very unlikely event that that doesn't fix it then something else has corrupted dx10sf, uninstall the fixer from control panel. reinstall and install the libraries.

2)  you have forgotten to set the HIGHMEM fix in your fsx.cfg  this is advised for all fsx installations - google how to do it or use the fsx.cfg editor labelled "fsx settings" at the top of the screen as described in  the manual at the end of Chapter 4.  If you don't fix this you may have FSX crash due to lack of memory  however its the way it was running previously in DX9 so its up to you!

3)  You haven't set the ForceVCShadowMap as described in the manual  in Chapter 8 - again you can do this using the fsx setting editor described in Chapter 4 of manual.
       This is just a hint - if you set it more aircraft will show shadows in the VC.

4)  You have the fsx.cfg TEXTURE MAX LOAD set to the default 1024.   If you have detailed payware aircraft  you may want to increase the value.   The installation instructions for those aircraft will tell you about this I am just reminding you.   You can set it using the fsx settings editor described in Chapter 4 of manual.

5)  You haven't set the ForceVC Walls option or the Toned Shadow options in the Shadow Dialog accessible using the Shadows button on the screen- I suggest you do this as described in Chapter 8 of the manual but its a question of taste.     The best suggestion as in the manual is to load the profile "steve" using the menu at the top.

Can we just try and fix the first one which is the only serious problem that you have.

Open the DX10 controller  program

next to the line  where it says Libraries are Installed and up to date press the UNINSTALL button.

When it has finished

Press the same button which will now say INSTALL.

Tell me what the Diagnostics says