Sign in to follow this  
d0ubl3sh0t

why PMDG doesn't sell their products on STEAM store?

lets be honest PMDG is one of the most highly detail aircraft developer for flight simulation that creates high fidelity aircraft. of course because of that many people want to try it out. but there are some people(like me)who have the money, yet doesn't have the tool to buy your products(credit cards, paypal acounts), like people averaging from the age of 14-19 who have save their allowance but they cant buy it because they have no paypall acount. nor their parents wont let them to use their credit cards.

now if PMDG sell their product on steam it will open access to many potential buyers. Now people can just buy steam voucher in the nearest store with our currency and eventually buy your product. 

regards

• Upvote 1

Will not happen, and you can always ask somebody who has a PayPal account or a credit card to buy for you.

You could get a debit card? I dont think theres any age registriction on posessing a debit card, unlike a credit card. I got my first debit card with my bank account when I was 16. Whilst not the same as a credit card, that still allowed me to purchase things online, and use it to set up a PayPal. Even with Steam I think you need a payment card registered anyway?

You can also buy PMDG products in boxed format.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I imagine only PMDG can answer why money is being left on the table.

• Upvote 2

Ask around how much Steam and Dovetail want, if you sell throw, the portal.

By the way you can use prepay card if you want and use them directly or with paypal.

Nothing can stop you if you want spending money. LoL

Will not happen

Since you were in that meeting when the decision was made, could you share the reason why? I believe "why" was the question...mixed with a general statement that it would possibly increase sales.

The rest of us outsiders can only guess that it's a margin/support,legal issue or just something that no one had time to explore.

Please share more. 

• Upvote 1

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Comissions for selling through Steam are ridiculous... Dovetail AND Steam are taking a large margin. It's just not worth it for some developers. Also, can you imagine the amout of support they would have to offer... That random guy expecting Ctrl+E to work...

• Upvote 6

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Comissions for selling through Steam are ridiculous... Dovetail AND Steam are taking a large margin. It's just not worth it for some developers. Also, can you imagine the amout of support they would have to offer... That random guy expecting Ctrl+E to work...

lol  Well, all that is very True indeed 

Since you were in that meeting when the decision was made, could you share the reason why? I believe "why" was the question...mixed with a general statement that it would possibly increase sales.

The rest of us outsiders can only guess that it's a margin/support,legal issue or just something that no one had time to explore.

Please share more. 

I do not have to in at meeting!

Common sense would have told you that PMDG have been around for a very long time, and in all that time, only their boxed products are available from a few selected retailers such as Aerosoft.  They do not do direct downloads, AFAIK,  through anybody else except their own portal. So, why on earth would they would change business tack and let Steam sell their downloads?  I may well be wrong but unless somebody from PMDG officially states that is not so, then logically it is pretty fair to assume that downloading their products is only done via them.

Sarcasm is not a requisite to make a purchase from them, BTW!

You mean Control + E is not a proper procedure?  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Will not happen,

Rick, I've been following PMDG closely since Fly! and still don't feel entitled to speak on their behalf.

Common sense would have told you that PMDG have been around for a very long time

3 years ago my company didn't produce smartphones because 'common sense' said there wasn't any room in the market. Now they are 30% of our revenue and growing.

Common sense tells me if there's a potential market, it should be explored.

With that said, I highly doubt Steam/Dovetail is a good or very profitable deal for PMDG, but I don't work there and I don't have a regular tee time with Robert.

The question by the OP is legit and I don't think it lacked common sense. It was merely a poke to see if PMDG might have or might be considering it because the OP thinks there are more young customers like him out there with steam credits to spend. I thought it was a good question. You slammed the door on him like you know something we don't. 

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog

Bob

All fair points. And yes, I could have worded my opening line a bit better, but I was making an attempt at dissuading the Op from wasting his time trying to go down the Steam route, which in all fairness, on the balance of probabilities the way PMDG have operated---- and you yourself state that you have been following them since Fly!----is more likely to not happen than happen.

and you yourself state that you have been following them since Fly!----is more likely to not happen than happen.

Fair enough Rick. 

Since the release of SE, a whole new crowd of simmers (or gamers) have arrived. Like Keven mentioned above, the support headache (and cost) could be a nightmare.

Watch some of the youtube videos these guys are making. It's horrifying.    :)

I do understand the OP though. I have sons and steam credits are given to them by a lot of relatives as gifts. Credit purchases would be easier than begging parents to take out the credit card.

Especially if the parent isn't a simmer and has no idea who PMDG is.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

quite a valid opinion you guys said. but im going to point out the boxed version in my country

because the ratio between gamer and simmer are huge. like 20:1(doesn't mean theres isn't any simmers). no game store sell add on simulation products. and since the arrival of steam. people tend to choose to buy game on steam over buying a boxed version

im going to point out the boxed version in my country

Point being?

boxed products are available from a few selected retailers such as Aerosoft.

already mentioned