Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Need some guru advice - pc shuts off after 5 min in windows.

I turn the pc on in the morning for my graphic work and after 5 min it shuts down,,no blue screen, no messages, just instant off and black screen. I can then turn it back on and it is fine for the rest of the day with no more shut downs. 

I have had some memory problems and had to remove a pair of ddr4 sticks leaving two sticks of 4 gig each left to run win 10. I have some new ram coming to get back to my 16 gig normal but for now 8 is it. I don't think that is causing my new problem though. 

A mystery for sure. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Could be the power supply unit is failing.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Things to try:

Reset all Overclcocking on CPU and video card to default, and test.

Can also try: Testing with only one memory stick at a time.

Or you can also try:

Restore computer to a known working date

Unplug all extra peripherals and reboot/

If all this still fails it could very likely be a bad PSU.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have had some memory problems and had to remove a pair of ddr4 sticks leaving two sticks of 4 gig each left to run win 10. I have some new ram coming to get back to my 16 gig normal but for now 8 is it. I don't think that is causing my new problem though. 

Are you sure you identified the faulty ram correctly? I mean in terms of which were faulty. I say that because faulty ram can cause blue screens. I would make absolutely sure your two remaining sticks are in the correct slots for two stick operation, and are not faulty.

Possibly could be PSU, but the symptoms you describe can occur for other reasons.

Anything in the event viewer of interest? 

I had the same issue and finally tracked that down to a dodgy ATX extension cable. Th pins were arching out, no blue screens just random shutdowns. So do check all connections. Disconnect and check pins for scorching and then replace. Sadly scorched ATX pins are quite a common issue, so do check, especially if you are using an ATX extension.

May be premature to state PSU issue just yet.

Good idea,, I will check the main MB board power cable and maybe unplug and re-plug all my psu cables. It is a Corsair HX1000 with modular plug in cables and it could very well be in one of those. I also replaced the AC cable in case that was bad.

I checked the ram by removing until bad one showed  up, new ram coming today. Windows error stated ram also. The two remaining sticks are located in correct slots from MB manual. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Have a good look at the pins themselves, especially the ATX connector. I could visually see that mine were burnt/blackened. I recall it took me bloody ages to figure out what it was. In the end I discovered it by accident. I disconnected the ATX to plug in my my PSU tester and spotted it.

You never know, as I say it is common. Enter burnt ATX connector into Google and you'll see what I mean.

I really  am not convinced modular power supplies are a good thing. I like them hard wired to the psu but this pc already had them so now they might be causing some grief. Thanks again for the idea.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

In my case it was where the ATX connector connected to an ATX extension, commonly though it's the ATX connector that connects to the motherboard. Not heard of the connection to the PSU  exhibiting symptoms.

I prefer hybrid PSU's, the ATX cable is hard wired, along with everything else we all need. Full hybrid is pointless in my opinion, why enable a cable to be disconnected from the PSU if it's a cable we all need.