Sign in to follow this  
alexbz

Less FPS when SLI enabled

I think that LM has moved the tree autogen to secondary CPU threads and the GPU a while ago (from the 2.2 update page):

Autogen Re-ArchitectureThe instancing system for trees was given a massive overhaul to improve memory usage, to increase performance, and to reduce stutters. The system (VAS) memory footprint per tree was reduced from 276 bytes to 16 bytes (that is a 17x reduction in system memory per tree). Some of the work previously done each frame was completely eliminated while other work was reduced or moved onto background threads and the GPU (graphics card). Visually, trees can now LOD (Level of Detail) in progressively while still scaling in to prevent popping. Random rotation of trees was also fixed, which means that trees will be more varied looking and will again load in at the full density near the camera. A max autogen default flight has had it's system memory reduced by over 550 megabytes!

AI Traffic can be "fixed" by using the Traffic Optimizer app.  Building autogen is still a CPU hog.

I think that LM has moved the tree autogen to secondary CPU threads and the GPU a while ago (from the 2.2 update page):

AI Traffic can be "fixed" by using the Traffic Optimizer app.  Building autogen is still a CPU hog.

what do you mean by "Traffic optimizer app"?

do you have some names?

Dorian Baroz

I, and I'm sure many others, would be supremely happy if the remaining v3 iterations did nothing more than improve performance, primarily with respect to CPU bottlenecks. With the injection of SLI and more powerful GPUs, GPU performance is now simply a matter of budget and not tech limitations. CPUs, on the other hand...

Now that the frothing-at-the-mouth transparent ATC window crowd won their lottery, what else do we need other than better perf?

It doesn't support Crossfire, but it has supported SLI officially for some time now. I'm not sure, but I believe it was nVidia driver 352.86 from last May.

What does the driver have to do with it? My drivers also support crossfire, of course, that's the graphics card driver, but it's the software (fsx/p3d) that has to support sli/crossfire.

What does the driver have to do with it? My drivers also support crossfire, of course, that's the graphics card driver, but it's the software (fsx/p3d) that has to support sli/crossfire.

Carlos,

It's both ... there needs to be driver support and software support.

Building Autogen is much improved in V3.x compared to V2.x ... however there are some issues when used with 3rd party scenery ... spikes.  LM is aware and have plans to correct in future versions (it is a priority).

Cheers, Rob.

Carlos,

Building Autogen is much improved in V3.x compared to V2.x ... however there are some issues when used with 3rd party scenery ... spikes.  LM is aware and have plans to correct in future versions (it is a priority).

Cheers, Rob.

Right, but what I mean is of the software doesn't have support for it built in, you can of course force it with the drivers, but AMD can do so too, but it's forcing it. That's why I was asking if they did add actual support at some point.

Regarding the driver of course the driver will support sli/crossfire for their cards :)

Carlos,

Cheers, Rob.

Rob can you post a screenshot of your NV Inspector settings for SLI?

Cheers

Pete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

In the nVidia driver control panel, each 3D app has a profile and that profile has one SLI setting that is a bit mask that is specific to each app. Although users have hacked their way through that bit mask setting to force certain apps to work with SLI, only nVidia knows what each bit does and they take each app and decide the best setting for each bit. LM had already made P3d v2 compatible with SLI in early 2015, but they were waiting on nVidia to issue an SLI profile, which they subsequently did with the 352.x driver series.

As you know, LM staff have stated repeatedly on their official forum that P3d is designed for nVidia hardware and that they have no intention of making the program Crossfire compatible.

That's why I was asking if they did add actual support at some point.

Still not entirely sure I understand your question ... drivers can't "force" SLI/Crossfire to work ... it's more like "try and see" ... it really depends on how the software is written and what products that software uses (CUDA libraries, Triton SDK, etc.) and if those products also have support for SLI ... it's a long chain of dependency.

LM worked with nVidia directly to understand what needs to be done to get SLI working and thanks in part to user feedback directly to nVidia, nVidia provided a profile specific for P3D v2.x (at the time) which has been distributed with all nVidia driver updates going back to P3D 2.x days.  Some minor adjustments were made in P3D V3.0 to remove SLI artifacts.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob can you post a screenshot of your NV Inspector settings for SLI?

Sure ... this for V3.x

e2ee4ed35568a2cbe91f94540e9a7712.jpg

I haven't noticed any different in the "High Quality" vs. "Quality" setting ... so you can ignore that setting.

Cheers, Rob.

cheers Rob

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Still not entirely sure I understand your question ... drivers can't "force" SLI/Crossfire to work ... it's more like "try and see" ... it really depends on how the software is written and what products that software uses (CUDA libraries, Triton SDK, etc.) and if those products also have support for SLI ... it's a long chain of dependency.

LM worked with nVidia directly to understand what needs to be done to get SLI working and thanks in part to user feedback directly to nVidia, nVidia provided a profile specific for P3D v2.x (at the time) which has been distributed with all nVidia driver updates going back to P3D 2.x days.  Some minor adjustments were made in P3D V3.0 to remove SLI artifacts.

Cheers, Rob.

Sure ... this for V3.x

e2ee4ed35568a2cbe91f94540e9a7712.jpg

I haven't noticed any different in the "High Quality" vs. "Quality" setting ... so you can ignore that setting.

Cheers, Rob.

Well, that's knd of exactly what I meant....

Just a quick search to show you the screen/example,,if you scroll a bit down here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/170672

The AMD drivers have an option to force crossfire for applications with no crossfire profile.

That's also what I meant when we said "both". Nvidia/amd can make a profile but if the software dev doesn't do their part... And that's the part I was unaware of, as I was (incorrectly I guess) under the impression that fsx doesn't and p3d follows so it had no support at all for sli/crossfire (yeas I read above they don't plan on adding crossfire)

I get 70% usage on both cards. I have two 970 GTX cards in SLI.  I am using driver 359.06  I tried the latest driver ( 361.43 released December 21 ) but I kept getting a display driver crash every few hours. 

Pete Richards

And that's the part I was unaware of, as I was (incorrectly I guess) under the impression that fsx doesn't and p3d follows so it had no support at all for sli/crossfire (yeas I read above they don't plan on adding crossfire)

Yes, incorrect guess ... LM have been working with nVidia to get the SLI profile working correctly.

Not to worry, many people new to P3D V2.x and V3.x series seem to think it's the "same" as FSX when in fact there has been considered code changes, enhancements, bug fixes, and new features added to both client and SDK products of P3D ... and more to come in 2016.

You can "force" SLI on applications with no Profile also ... it may work, it may not.

Cheers, Rob.