Sign in to follow this  
mvalotta

Window Registry points to FSX Steam and Microsoft FSX in the same folder. This installation cannot continue until this is corrected

Hello

I unistalled and deactivate the licences either for G1000 and GNSs before reinstalling my OS, did a fresh install of the OS (W10 x64) Installed for the first time FSX Steam standallone and P3D V2 (nothing else before)

reinstalling for the first time both g1000 and GNSs, at the end I get the following message: windows registry points to fsx steam and Microsoft FSX in the same folder. the installation cannot continue until this is corrected.

I dont have estonia migration tool, nor edited the registry.

FSX Steam stand allone (no ms fsx DVD installed before)

your Simregedit tool shows no issues and correct paths.

what can I do?

Thanks

Mario

Were you using our latest installer?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Steam Edition has been updated to take over the FSX registry path when it's not installed... Leading to a ton of issues with 3rd party installers...

PMDG has a thread about the issue, they seem really mad about it.

I reached Dovetail about it, waiting for their response.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I wonder what addon developer convinced them to do that? I don't think they'd make that move on their own, there would be no need.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

FSX Steam edition has always mimicked the FSX Registry entry as long as it's the only version installed on a virgin system.

It only creates its own unique FSX:SE Registry entry and unique pathing if it is installed on a system where FSX (disk) already has been installed, or FSX (disk) was removed but the Registry entry was not removed.

Yes, this has caused a lot of angst among some developers.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FSX Steam edition has always mimicked the FSX Registry entry as long as it's the only version installed on a virgin system.

This might be true as I was unable to find a specific date but I never came across this issue until now, just over a year after the release of :SE

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Yes, on a virgin system the original FSX Registry key is created during an FSX-SE installation to mimic FSX (Box), as Bill correctly says.

However, the FSX-SE registry key is always created during an FSX-SE installation, whether or not FSX (Box) was installed first. On a dual system the FSX-SE key field names are lower case, and capitalised on a virgin system.

FSX-SE installs in dual mode if FSX (Box) has previously been installed and not completely removed or some program or tinkering has created a folder or file or registry item that looks like part of FSX.

On a virgin install both paths are always the same, so that's not an issue. But if it was a dual install, both paths being the same would be incorrect.

The problems for addon installers come with FSX-SE installs that somehow went dual mode, but should have been single, or some other thing confused the installer. Once the addon installer obtained the path, it should check files in that path to properly ascertain the real version located there.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yes, on a virgin system the original FSX Registry key is created during an FSX-SE installation to mimic FSX (Box), as Bill correctly says.

However, the FSX-SE registry key is always created during an FSX-SE installation, whether or not FSX (Box) was installed first. On a dual system the FSX-SE key field names are lower case, and capitalised on a virgin system.

FSX-SE installs in dual mode if FSX (Box) has previously been installed and not completely removed or some program or tinkering has created a folder or file or registry item that looks like part of FSX.

On a virgin install both paths are always the same, so that's not an issue. But if it was a dual install, both paths being the same would be incorrect.

The problems for addon installers come with FSX-SE installs that somehow went dual mode, but should have been single, or some other thing confused the installer. Once the addon installer obtained the path, it should check files in that path to properly ascertain the real version located there.

That is good to know!

I got a response from Dovetail with a "coexistance" registry path to check and use in 3rd party installers

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Keven,

What was that path?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0”

The above key contains a value called “SetupPath” which has the install directory for boxed FSX and is not altered with the install of FSX:SE.

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX”

The above key contains a value called “install_path” which has the install directory for FSX:SE.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

Finally the key above contains a value called “Co-Existence” which is set to 1 if boxed FSX is present on a machine when FSX:SE is installed.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0”

The above key contains a value called “SetupPath” which has the install directory for boxed FSX and is not altered with the install of FSX:SE.

Just to be clear, if FSX (Box) is installed, FSX-SE install does not alter that item, it would have no reason to. However, on a virgin system, FSX-SE install creates that key with the value “SetupPath” and has the install directory for steam edition.

Co-Existence is handy, but best to check the actual files in the folder for version detail.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hello guys

thanks a lot for your answers, but I'm still cannot install my gauges, any idea?

because the installers get stuck at that point and I don't have them either for FSX_SE neither for prepar3d.

many thanks and regards!

mario

Mario did you every figure this out?  I just download FSX-Steam and tried to add Mindstar g1000 on to it and I am getting the same error as you.  Let me know if you found a fix please.

Wil

Ok, I appreciate  the key post, but what SHOULD it be to actually work? I have a SE system that has never seen the disc version. Changing the coexist key to 1 ( from the 0) did not work.

What regkey do I need to change to complete this install, specifically the registration process?