Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

My Link Thread

Hello. I put this Thread together with some Basic Hints and Tips 

All Information is Prepar3D related Only. 

------
INDEX
------

(1)  Running Prepar3D as Administrator 

(2)  Ticking the box for "Show hidden files, folders and drives"

(3)  Disabling UAC,  User Account Settings

(4)  Antivirus Software and Firewall

(5)  Turning Off AI Traffic (Default Traffic) 

(6)  Where is my Prepar3D.cfg + Cameras.cfg located 

(7)  Where is my SimObjects.cfg + scenery.cfg + terrain.cfg + dll.xml + exe.xml file located 

(8)  Where is my Simconnect.msi files located 

=================================================================================

(1) Running Prepar3D as Administrator.   

To set up Prepar3D to run as Administrator follow the steps below  

1 Right Click on your Prepar3D v3 Icon and Click Properties.  2 Click into Compatibility, tick the box Run as administrator,  Click Apply and Ok.

29318233442_40cfcfe8de_o.png

======================================================================================

(2)  Ticking the box for "Show hidden files, folders and drives"

Depending on your system configuration the 3 Prepar3D v3 folders may be hidden,    If this is the case please follow the easy steps below.  

-----------------------

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3 

----------------------

For windows 7 and 8 and 10 users,  open your Control Panel and follow the path. 

1 Control Panel ► Appearances and Personalisation ► 2 Show hidden files and folders.  3 Tick the circle  "Show hidden files folders and drives"  Click Apply and Ok

28836897593_4a9e527791_o.png

====================================================================================

(3)  Disabling UAC,  User Account Settings

You can disable your User account Control by typing  uac  in your windows search bar.  Click Never notify and Click Ok

24216620571_7e15a7de88_o.png

=======================================================================================

(4)  Antivirus Software and Firewall

When your Installing 3rd Party Software (Add On's) from a Trusted source it is recommended to add the Installer to your Exclusions Zone of your Anti virus Software to stop the Install process being disrupted  

I use Bitdefender.   Before i Install Software/Add On,  i will always add the Installer exe into my Excluded Processes.  After i install, i will add the complete folder (Installed folder) into my Excluded files and folders 

I'm using the Active Sky Next installer as an example.    
As you can see from the image below.  1 I will find my Exclusions zone and navigate through my C Drive and Add the Active Sky Next installer.  2 and 3 shows that the Active Sky Next Installer has now been automatically added to my Exclusions Zone and has been automatically added to my Firewall. 

24272982746_54a08c77f6_o.png

=======================================================================================

(5)  Turning Off AI Traffic (Default Traffic) 

Follow the path   Your Install Location  ►  Prepar3D v3  ► Scenery  ► World  ►  scenery 

Follow the steps.  1 Right Click on trafficAircraft.bgl,  Click Rename.   2 Just add  off  to the end, make sure you don't delete the Full Spot.   3 What it should look like.

24272983676_e55a16ba3d_o.png

========================================================================================

(6)  Where is my Prepar3D.cfg located.   Where is my Cameras.cfg located 

Follow the path                    

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3 

24299138095_b40644f38f_o.png

=============================================================================================

(7)  Where is my SimObjects.cfg + scenery.cfg + terrain.cfg + dll.xml + exe.xml file located 

Follow the path below 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v3 

33195068750_b975d8555e_o.png

============================================================================================

(8)  Where is my Simconnect.msi files located 

Follow the path below 

► Computer ► YOUR install Location ►Prepar3D ► redist  ► Interface 

33195138420_6778bd707a_o.png

Edited by Elaine Dixon
Updated Information
  • Upvote 4

Elaine, were you a teacher in another life or perhaps still are?

Very instructive. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Part 2    My Link Thread

(1)   Prepar3D V3 

(2)  The New Folder Structure for 3rd Party Software 

(3)  What is my Path= and how is it defined 

(4)  Adding my Path= 

(5)  Just an example 

Click Pictures to make them Big                                                                

==========================================================================

(1)   Prepar3D V3 

When you install Prepar3D V3 and Regardless of where you choose to install,   4 folders will automatically install to your C Drive.    In  Airplane terms these folder are the EEC,  Electronic Engine Control  (the brain) of Prepar3D.  These folders do all the talking,  they communicate to your main Prepar3D V3 Core folder,  basically these folders have all the nerve endings and messengers to make Prepar3D Fly. 

The folder i have highlighted in Red has all the files you will need need to modify and add new Paths= to Scenery and Airplanes, including simobjects.cfg  effects.cfg, gauges.cfg, Fonts.cfg  sound.cfg and many more. 

► Libraries ► Documents ► Prepar3D v3 files

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3        What's in this folder  simobjects.cfg  effects.cfg, gauges.cfg,  sound.cfg and many more.

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3    What's in this folder,   Prepar3D.cfg  Cameras.cfg and many more

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3       What's in this folder,   Your Shaders folder  

Here is a rough picture of what happens in my head when i think of Prepar3D.   The middle folder is My Prepar3D Install Location (My G Drive) and the surrounding folders are the Nerve endings and Messengers.

Boom

24089403653_e6af8a6742_o.png

============================================================================

(2)  The New Folder Structure for 3rd Party Software (Add On's) 

With the release of Prepar3d V3,  Lockheed Martin now requests that all 3rd Party Software (Ad On's) be Installed outside of the Prepar3D Core folder.  That been said, as of yet, there are very few Airplanes and Scenery that are 100% Compatible to Install and work this way.   

In time,  we will be able to Install more and more Outside the Prepar3D Core Folder using this folder Located here  ► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3

As you can see from the image below,  these are the files that we can Add and Modify new Paths= and [Entry's] to.  This process will become more relevant and evident as time goes on and developers release Outside Compatible Installers.  Also in time the Installer will Automatically add these Entrys for us 

24623922301_76b518d69f_o.png

============================================================================

(3)  What is my Path= and how is it defined 

A Path=  is a Pathway from were you Installed your 3rd Party Software to Simobjects.cfg  and then into Prepar3D   

As you can see I have Installed the Turbine Duke on the same Drive as Prepar3D But in a different folder.  So i will need a Path= to basically connect one to the other.  In this case the Turbine Duke is Compatible and will add your [Entry's]  to simobjects Automatically,  i am only using this as a example 

24350402769_d961fe9112_o.png

In this Image you will see more clearly how your Path= is defined.  I am now in my SimObjects.cfg and i have overlayed 2 images of were i Installed my Ad On's and as you can see, well you get the point.   Oh and watch the spaces, when you are Manually adding Path's be sure to Include the Space 

24598462042_d07946fed8_o.png

==============================================================================

(4)  Adding my Path= 

I will take My Traffic 6 as an example.   1  Basically you can add your New were ever you like,   be sure to keep the original [Entry's],  just move them down a little.   2 If you want to add your new at the top just move down Default Airplanes.

3  Save your New ,  Click File and Save 

24420717380_16cfbaaae1_o.png

I have now saved my new and it looks like this.  For easiness sake i always just pop mine down at the bottom of the list,  but just for the purpose of the Tutorial i will put my in the middle.  

As you can see i have also adjusted all my Numbering from Top 0 to Bottom 10 

24092003373_c2b29909ed_o.png

=============================================================================

(5)  Just an example 

For this image i have created a fake Airplane,  PoppetsAirplane 

This is just purely an example of what the structure of a folder might look like when all path's= have been added to the .cfg's.  As i said earlier the Installer will probably Automatically add these Entrys for us 

24598462072_d8e241e171_o.png

Edited by Elaine Dixon
Updated Information
  • Upvote 2

Excellent! This is very useful when updating/reinstalling P3D. Just one question - is every addon compatible with this method, or only with P3D v3 installers? I can't see why they wouldn't be compatible with all the paths properly set.

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Wow, for someone to take the time and do all this, you cannot help but to stand-up and applaud till heart is happy.

Thank you so very much, Elaine!

Elaine.  You're the best

Everyone knows that.  

:Devil:

• Upvote 1

How does it works with texture.cfg? I dont understand it really. I created an texture Folder and put some textures inside like Clouds etc.

I added into the texture.cfg the path of the new created texture folder and added the number Entry number.

But insied the sim, I see no changes....

• Upvote 1

Part 3: My Link Thread.  Back to Basics 

Installing Prepar3D V3  &  3rd Party Software,  Basic Hints and Tips 

================

--------

INDEX

--------

(1)  The Triple A Rule

(2)  Downloading Prepar3D V3 

(3)  Installing Prepar3D V3 

(4)  Creating a Back Up

(5)  Installing  3rd Party Software 

(6)  The Bottom Line 

=====================

(1)  The Triple A Rule

When Installing Prepar3D or 3rd Party Software from a known and Trusted source,  I follow the Triple A Rule   Anti virus Software,  User Account Control,  Administrator. 

These 3 simple rules have worked for me and hopefully they will work for you, I will go through each one now. 

Anti virus Software:  So for Example,  I use BitDefender,  I will Add the the Installer to my Excluded Processes,  as you can see i have also added my Entire Prepar3D folder with all my Add On's to my Excluded files and folders

26423906743_e93ed671e4_o.png

User Account Control:  Before i Install anything i will Disable my User Account Control.   Type uac into your Search bar,  Drag down to Never notify and Click Ok

26964858391_9c60fb0140_o.png

Administrator:   Run Prepar3D as administrator or any other 3rd Party Software that run when Prepar3D starts,  Using EZdok as an example 

Right Click on your Prepar3D Icon,  Click Properties  Click Compatibility  Tick the Box "Run this program as administrator"  Click Apply     Go to your EZCA location and  Right Click on both .exe and then as administrator as well.  

So,  Run any Software that starts when Prepar3D boots up as administrator,  Personally i run all 3rd Parts Software as administrator, this method has always worked perfect for me. 

26993744346_5ef62ffa57_o.png

=================

(2)  Downloading Prepar3D V3 

Use a Download Manager to download Prepar3D v3, I use Chrono Download Manager I have also used these in the past as well,  GetRight, FlashGet or Internet Download Manager,  These will allow you to Resume a download if your Internet is disturbed or if your Download stops.  

Your Download will come in a Zipped form and will Appear in your Download section of your PC\Laptop.  You have to Extract the Zipped folder. Do Not use the Windows in-built 'extract' feature when Extracting a Download.  Use something like  7zip or WinZip to Extract Downloads "Decompress"  Zipped folders.  These are a better method's of Extracting Zipped folders and will insure your Zipped folder will Extract complete.  

I use the free application 7-Zip to Extract Zipped folders.   I will be Extracting to my Downloads section,  Quite simply, Right Click and Click Extract Here 

26931071062_f2140d2275_o.png

========================

(3)  Installing Prepar3D V3 

Triple A Rule

By now,  I have added the Prepar3D Installer (setup.exe) to my Exclusions Zone.  I have also Disabled my uac User Account Control.  

Right Click on Set.exe and Click Run as administrator 

26941795372_196856602e_o.png

By Default Prepar3D will want to Install into Program(x86).  Try and Install elsewhere,  it is safer for Permission reasons to Install to a different location, Pick anywhere else but Not  Program(x86)

You can Make a new folder (Name it) and install to anywhere of your choosing, For example:  C\Prepar3D v3  D\Prepar3D v3  E\Prepar3D v3  F\Prepar3D v3 

Click Options,  Make a new folder,  Click Ok 

26419585084_49894cd779_o.png

After your Install has completed, Click Close,  and Restart your Computer 

26761795210_8f0052da13_o.png

Activating Prepar3D v3.                                                       

Launch Prepar3D and you will see the Activation page.  Your Licence ID and Password will be saved in your Email account.   For more about Activation error's and problems please click this link  http://www.prepar3d....sked-questions/

Product: Prepar3D v3 Academic License

LicenseID: 30xxxxx

Password: 56dxxxxxxxxxx

26962915722_55530ba58a_z.jpg

Before i start Prepar3D.    I will run Prepar3D as administrator,  Right click on the Prepar3D Icon,  Click Into PropertiesCompatibility,  Tick the box Run this program as administrator,  Click Apply and Ok  

I will be Installing all my Prepar3D stuff on one drive so i will now add my entire Prepar3D folder to my Exclusions Zone of my Anti virus Software.  

(4)  Creating a Back Up

I will now Create a Complete a Back Up of my Prepar3D folder. I will do this because i will always have the Original Prepar3D folders if 1 or more of these folders becomes corrupt or damaged.   

I will create a folder and call it Prepar3DBackUp,  You can Create a folder anywhere on your PC to do this,  You will need up to 27 gigs of space.  

Right Click on your Original Prepar3D folder,  Click Copy and Paste this Prepar3DBackUp folder to a place of your choosing   

26431472384_6d09650b87_o.png

Before you Install any 3rd Party Software,  Make sure Prepar3D is running perfect and smooth and you are happy before you go any further.

Start Prepar3D,  Do a quick flight and Insure everything is working as it should be.  

========================

(5)  Installing  3rd Party Software 

Software is and is Not compatible before you purchase or Install.     Installing non compatible Software can lead to problems.  

Check the Software purchase page and insure that the Software is compatible to your Version of Prepar3D.  

There are some work around's for non compatible Software but these methods are for people who understand know what they are doing.  Its always better to wait for Compatible Installers to your Version of Prepar3D

Stay away from Tools that help you Migrate non compatible Software to Install into Prepar3D,  Why?  When Diagnosing a problem with your Setup you have to go through a "Process of elimination" to find the problem,  This process can be much greater when running these Migration Tools.   

===========================

Save all your Prepar3D Add On Downloads (installers) in the same folder (create a folder) and Sub folders for quick access.

Look, everything is organized and nice and neat.  I now know exactly were to find all my Prepar3D stuff. 

26452380374_bd1f05db1d_o.png

Back to the,  The Triple A Rule.  When Installing 3rd Party Software,  Disable your User Account Control.  Add the Installer to your Excluded Process of your Anti virus Software + Add your Prepar3D folder also.

Only Install Software from a known and Trusted Source.   Installing Illegal Software is both dangerous to your PC and Illegal and you will Not receive support on any Forums 

Do Not Install 3rd Party Software into ProgramFiles(86)   Pick a different location.   Please Note:  Some Software Utilities will Install a Default pathway to your exe.xml file of ProgramFiles(86)  If you Install to a different location You will have to Modify this path in your exe.xml file 

Install 1 Software at a time,  Start Prepar3D, do a quick flight  and insure everything is working Ok,  If you have any problems at that stage Issues are easier to Diagnose and sort out. 

Do your quick flight,  when you are happy that everything is working perfect,  Then proceed to Install the next one.   

=================

Its not a must but try and Install your Add On's on the same Drive as Prepar3D by creating folders and Installing there. 

26454222844_a4534a90d4_o.png

===============

Keep your Prepar3D Graphic settings low to begin with,  Be realistic with your Graphic + Ram and Processor power.   

Start off with the Default Prepar3D settings,  experiment a bit by moving the Sliders up and down,  Maybe lock your FPS (Frames Per Second) see if that helps.  

Find Your stable settings for Your PC and then move the Sliders up bit by bit.  Always look for smoothness over Frames Per Second.

Prepar3D V3 does not need any extra tweaking with files like Prepar3D.cfg ,  It works perfect and Fly's straight out of the box.  

====================

Create Tex Documents on you Desktop and Save all your Licence and Key and other relevant Information.  You will always have this close to your hand.   

Right Click anywhere on your Desktop,  Click New,  Click Tex Document.  Name it.   Enter your Info in there and save it,  Perfect. 

26452583844_4421ae48e9_o.png

=================

Understand and Familiarize yourself with these folders.  If you cant find them, Scroll to the top of this thread  and read this   (2) Show hidden files, folders and Drivers.

Personally I make Shortcuts of these folders to my Desktop for easy access when checking or accessing files  

Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D V3                                            Your .cfg files are in here simobjects.cfg  effects.cfg, gauges.cfg,  sound.cfg and many more.

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D V3    Your  Prepar3D.cfg  Cameras.cfg and many more

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► you ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D V3          Your Shaders folder is in here   http://www.avsim.com...older-prepar3d/

26991808691_ee97058490_o.png

===================

The bottom line.

(1) The Triple A Rule.  When Installing Prepar3D Or  Software from a Trusted Source =  Administrator,  Anti virus,  User Account Control.  

(2)  Do not use the Windows in-built 'extract' feature when Extracting a Download.  Use 7zip or WinZip to Extract Downloads

(3)  Create a Back up of your Original Prepar3D folder Before you Install 3rd Party Software 

(4)  Use only Compatible Installers for your Version of Prepar3D. 

(5)  Install 1 Software at a time,  Start Prepar3D and check everything is working

(5)  Be realistic with your settings.  Don't Tweak to get an extra 3 Frames Per Second.  Smoothness is King over Frames Per Second.

(6)  Have Fun  

• Upvote 3