Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

Falling in love with X-Plane

I have used FS since FS 5.1 and, more recently, Prepar3D, almost exclusively. As mostly an airliner flyer, I was always a bit skeptical of X-Plane. Nonetheless, after the release of the Flight Factor 767 (my most beloved airplane model), I have decided to bite the bullet and ended up buying X-Plane one month ago during a Steam sale. 

Well, four weeks later I must say that I am barely touching my P3D V3 with all the thousands of euros I have spent on addons for it. I cannot say that much about the flight modelling, even though I am liking it very much, but the atmospheric effects, the lightning and the environment of X-Plane just compels me to keep coming back! I wont abandon P3D for sure, but I might spend less and less time on it from now on...

Here are some completely unedited pictures of my experience so far..

1. Preparing for departure - Rio de Janeiro Airport (SBGL)

rwIEvxs.jpg

2. Taxiing with rain - Flight Factor 767 (Delta Livery) Rio de Janeiro Airport (SBGL)

7yXX0XS.jpg

3. On Runway 10 - Flight Factor 767 (Delta Livery) Rio de Janeiro Airport (SBGL)

5IFiORn.jpg

4. Approach - Flight Factor 767 (Delta Livery) San Francisco Airport (KSFO)

COdt06u.jpg

5. Approach in Italy -Airfoillabs C172

nWZXPbd.jpg

6. Approach in Canada -Carenado Beech 1900D

gyCOTYM.jpg

7. Approach in Canada -Carenado Beech 1900D

xGOQvp9.jpg

8. Cruising over Germany -Airfoillabs C172

Xs1hiKS.jpg

9. Cruising over Germany - Carenado C210 Centurion

hfhS0IM.jpg

10. Cruising over Germany - Carenado C210 Centurion

XZfoUYY.jpg

11. Approach in the German-Austrian border - Carenado C210 Centurion

0mOwqt9.jpg

12. Flying with traffic - Carenado B1900D

AmHoYPL.jpg

13. Flying towards the sunset - Carenado Beech 1900D

8YJVt7W.jpg

14. Climbing over Canada - JARDesign A330

d0RfBHn.jpg

15. Cruising - JARDesign A330

Gqyms36.jpg

16. Preparing for departure - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

UIeiarZ.jpg

17. Pushing back - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

GNMNkPC.png

18. Entering Runway 26L - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

nocc2PY.png

19. Morning approach in Brazil - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

q5E6hKi.jpg

20. Climbing over Nova Scotia - Flight Factor 767 (Air Canada Livery)

E2yJjS9.jpg

21. Climbing over Nova Scotia - Flight Factor 767 (Air Canada Livery)

sZjrqOW.png

22. Cruising over Canada - VATSIM Traffic - Flight Factor 767 (Air Canada Livery)

eF6xzFl.jpg

To everyone that is a little lackluster with FSX/P3D, forget about the naysayers and try X-Plane. 

The amount of free quality content is just astounding and the payware aircraft are getting better and better. Having flown PMDG´s almost exclusively on P3D and being very picky with my  addon planes, I must say that I am quite satisfied with what I have bought on this new plataform. 

Hope you guy enjoy it!

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

yes, i'm a new convert to X-plane too.. got FF 757, carenado King air 200 and SSG 747-8F..  

I'm going thru the same emotions as yourself.. not sure if I can ever go back to FSX..  the main pull towards X-plane for me is the night lighting, roads/freeways @ night, sloped runways, clouds with shadows, etc.. 

but some limitations - AI traffic not as evolved as FSX, simulation rate can barely touch 4X, etc.. 

One very tough decision to make for me is which 747 to buy? PMDG 747 V2 in FSX, iFly 747 in FSX or some other developer like flight factor's 747 in x-plane?  In the next few months, all of this will be released and we have to decide which platform to invest in.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Great shots.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

.. not sure if I can ever go back to FSX..

if you are like me... you will never go back to FSX :-)

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

Really nice shots!! Looking forward to some more.

Thanks, Phil! Will keep experimenting and making screenshots!  :smile:

yes, i'm a new convert to X-plane too.. got FF 757, carenado King air 200 and SSG 747-8F..  

I'm going thru the same emotions as yourself.. not sure if I can ever go back to FSX..  the main pull towards X-plane for me is the night lighting, roads/freeways @ night, sloped runways, clouds with shadows, etc.. 

but some limitations - AI traffic not as evolved as FSX, simulation rate can barely touch 4X, etc.. 

One very tough decision to make for me is which 747 to buy? PMDG 747 V2 in FSX, iFly 747 in FSX or some other developer like flight factor's 747 in x-plane?  In the next few months, all of this will be released and we have to decide which platform to invest in.. 

Since I cant live without PMDG, I will keep P3D installed and surely will buy the 747 when it comes out! I plan to keep enjoying what both plataforms can offer. There are no A330s or 767s on P3D as good as the X-Plane ones atm, therefore I will use it to fly those planes. The same is true when we think about the 777 or the 737 (even though the IXEG one is looking amazing and on the verge of being released). Traffic for me is not necessary as I fly only on VATSIM or IVAO. Hell, I am even satisfied with weather since I can finally have rain on the windshield!

Welcome to the Dark Side. Where the lights are so much better

Hahaha...for sure! Thank you and all the others that have commented!  :P

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I am a recent convert myself and also have the 757 and the King Air 200. Nights are fantastic and so that is when I do all my X-Plane flying. I call it my Dawn to Dusk simulator. 

I still use P3D because of planes like the Duke and of course the great GTN 750 gps that will never make it to X-Plane. 

I also still use FSXSE for my work platform when doing graphics and textures for developers. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Beautiful shots!

The main reason I can't get into Xplane is because of the lack of good ATC and AI traffic functionality. Not that FSX or P3D default is great, but it's a lot better than Xplane's and we have a slew of addons to choose from for those functions.

simulation rate can barely touch 4X, etc.. 

What does this mean?

One very tough decision to make for me is which 747 to buy? PMDG 747 V2 in FSX, iFly 747 in FSX or some other developer like flight factor's 747 in x-plane?  In the next few months, all of this will be released and we have to decide which platform

SSG does the 747 series in X-Plane.

The same is true when we think about the 777 or the 737 (even though the IXEG one is looking amazing and on the verge of being released)

You don't like the VMAX 777?

I'm also using X-plane only as a night/dusk/dawn simulator..  that's where the real strength of x-plane lies - in the lighting.. 

but when daylight comes, you realize the plausible world doesnt have landmarks and doesnt resemble real world.. so thats when i go back to FSX.. because there I have ORBX Global.. 

so FSX by day, X-plane by night... 

I am a recent convert myself and also have the 757 and the King Air 200. Nights are fantastic and so that is when I do all my X-Plane flying. I call it my Dawn to Dusk simulator. 

I still use P3D because of planes like the Duke and of course the great GTN 750 gps that will never make it to X-Plane. 

I also still use FSXSE for my work platform when doing graphics and textures for developers. 

1. x-plane cannot go beyond 4X sim rate due to the way physics is modeled.. whereas in FSX u can go upto 8X which enables you to do ultra long hauls..

2. I do have the SSG 747-8F.. its an okay aircraft.. still far behind iFly 747 V2 and upcoming PMDG 747 V2.

3. I didnt buy VMAX 777.. only got their 757 due to budget constraints.. that's the other issue.. I'm torn between investing in FSX vs X-plane.. don't want to buy the same plane in 2 platforms...

What does this mean?

SSG does the 747 series in X-Plane.

You don't like the VMAX 777?

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

To the OP,

What mesh and scenery did you install?  I also bought the Steam Edition but have not installed it yet.

Thx,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!