Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

Falling in love with X-Plane

Amazing captures! I, too, switched from P3D to X-Plane 10. XP10 has been my primary sim for a little over a month now.

One thing I absolutely love about X-Plane is the amount of high quality freeware scenery available. One example of ultra high quality freeware is MisterX's KSFO, KLAX, and KSAN - 3 ultra detailed airports available without costing you a penny and they're insanely realistic that I just had to find a way to give back for all the incredible hard work. With working jetways and marshallers, it's pretty much payware standard scenery as freeware, if you will.

And yes, it has truly amazing payware addons created by amazing devs :smile:

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Beautiful shots!

The main reason I can't get into Xplane is because of the lack of good ATC and AI traffic functionality. Not that FSX or P3D default is great, but it's a lot better than Xplane's and we have a slew of addons to choose from for those functions.

Yes, I have heard about those issues. For me is not a problem, as I have already stated that I only fly online. Better performance and more realistic ATC! :)

To the OP,

What mesh and scenery did you install?  I also bought the Steam Edition but have not installed it yet.

Thx,

I'm using the amazing free HD Mesh - http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

As for sceneries, I would say that I have 60% Freeware and 40% payware. From the pictures, KSFO and EDDM are Free and SBGL payware.

Amazing captures! I, too, switched from P3D to X-Plane 10. XP10 has been my primary sim for a little over a month now.

One thing I absolutely love about X-Plane is the amount of high quality freeware scenery available. One example of ultra high quality freeware is MisterX's KSFO, KLAX, and KSAN - 3 ultra detailed airports available without costing you a penny and they're insanely realistic that I just had to find a way to give back for all the incredible hard work. With working jetways and marshallers, it's pretty much payware standard scenery as freeware, if you will.

And yes, it has truly amazing payware addons created by amazing devs :smile:

Agreed! It's never enough to thank those people!! The quality of these free sceneries is simply mind blowing.

Thanks again everyone!

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Why am I still using P3D?

Anyway... On another note, will SLI ever make it to XP? It seems like, if/when it does, the flightsim performance barrier would finally be broken...

Anyway... On another note, will SLI ever make it to XP? It seems like, if/when it does, the flightsim performance barrier would finally be broken...

As far as I know there is not plans for it now, though your best bet would be asking the X-Plane devs directly. They seem to be really open and responsive.

As for performance - X-Plane is rather CPU based anyway, so as far as performance goes, it seems to be better than other two sims (at least in my case with FSX). 

Performance for me is not that different from P3D V3, but X-Plane feels more fluid. Even though my system is not that powerful (Stock i7 4770 + GF970), I can run both at 3440x1440p and high settings most of the time around 30 fps (goes down to 15-20fps on the really heavy sceneries like CYYZ on P3D).

Of course, not having to worry about Virtual Ram is a huge plus for X-Plane...

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

ever since I moved to DX10 in FSX, I've never had to worry about VRAM or OOM... 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Very Nice!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

I have used FS since FS 5.1 and, more recently, Prepar3D, almost exclusively. As mostly an airliner flyer, I was always a bit skeptical of X-Plane. Nonetheless, after the release of the Flight Factor 767 (my most beloved airplane model), I have decided to bite the bullet and ended up buying X-Plane one month ago during a Steam sale. 

Well, four weeks later I must say that I am barely touching my P3D V3 with all the thousands of euros I have spent on addons for it. I cannot say that much about the flight modelling, even though I am liking it very much, but the atmospheric effects, the lightning and the environment of X-Plane just compels me to keep coming back! I wont abandon P3D for sure, but I might spend less and less time on it from now on...

Here are some completely unedited pictures of my experience so far..

1. Preparing for departure - Rio de Janeiro Airport (SBGL)

rwIEvxs.jpg

2. Taxiing with rain - Flight Factor 767 (Delta Livery) Rio de Janeiro Airport (SBGL)

7yXX0XS.jpg

3. On Runway 10 - Flight Factor 767 (Delta Livery) Rio de Janeiro Airport (SBGL)

5IFiORn.jpg

4. Approach - Flight Factor 767 (Delta Livery) San Francisco Airport (KSFO)

COdt06u.jpg

5. Approach in Italy -Airfoillabs C172

nWZXPbd.jpg

6. Approach in Canada -Carenado Beech 1900D

gyCOTYM.jpg

7. Approach in Canada -Carenado Beech 1900D

xGOQvp9.jpg

8. Cruising over Germany -Airfoillabs C172

Xs1hiKS.jpg

9. Cruising over Germany - Carenado C210 Centurion

hfhS0IM.jpg

10. Cruising over Germany - Carenado C210 Centurion

XZfoUYY.jpg

11. Approach in the German-Austrian border - Carenado C210 Centurion

0mOwqt9.jpg

12. Flying with traffic - Carenado B1900D

AmHoYPL.jpg

13. Flying towards the sunset - Carenado Beech 1900D

8YJVt7W.jpg

14. Climbing over Canada - JARDesign A330

d0RfBHn.jpg

15. Cruising - JARDesign A330

Gqyms36.jpg

16. Preparing for departure - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

UIeiarZ.jpg

17. Pushing back - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

GNMNkPC.png

18. Entering Runway 26L - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

nocc2PY.png

19. Morning approach in Brazil - JARDesign A330 (Lufthansa Livery) Munich International Airport (EDDM)

q5E6hKi.jpg

20. Climbing over Nova Scotia - Flight Factor 767 (Air Canada Livery)

E2yJjS9.jpg

21. Climbing over Nova Scotia - Flight Factor 767 (Air Canada Livery)

sZjrqOW.png

22. Cruising over Canada - VATSIM Traffic - Flight Factor 767 (Air Canada Livery)

eF6xzFl.jpg

To everyone that is a little lackluster with FSX/P3D, forget about the naysayers and try X-Plane. 

The amount of free quality content is just astounding and the payware aircraft are getting better and better. Having flown PMDG´s almost exclusively on P3D and being very picky with my  addon planes, I must say that I am quite satisfied with what I have bought on this new plataform. 

Hope you guy enjoy it!

+1.... I got X Plane for Christmas and I use P3Dv3.1 as well but I must say I am spending more time in X Plane learning all I can about the UI.  Love the night lighting and scenery, it is the best I've seen in any sim period.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I agree with your post. I've been a long time FXS user. I picked up XP 6 months ago and have been very impressed with some of the lighting effects and emersion factor. I also like the freeware airports that look amazing and add to the emersion. The add-on aircraft fly very well and realistic in XP and I'm very happy with the Saab, Carenado,  JAR330, and FFB767.  XP is relatively easy on the wallet too for what you get. Now I probably go to XP 3 out of 4 SIM events. There are room for improvements to be made in XP,  but for now XP continues to draw me in .........  

I think there will be more and more people checking out XPX.  The FF767 and JAR330 make up for what is lacking in P3D aircraft wise.   I mirror the sentiments of others. XPX dusk to dawn and P3d for daytime.   AI is getting there but no where near as robust as P3D custom AI.

What I dont understand is the lack of willing cooperation from XPX devs to help out VAs. Ive inquired a few VAs for its support of XPX and they dont really support it because the XPX devs refuse to work with them in developing ACARS data to track XPX aircraft. Seems quite unfortunate they have this attitude.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

All the VAs I fly for work perfectly with X-Plane, but surely the support is not the same. Sometimes the blame also lie with the VA as there are some that still refuse to support P3D.

I also started with that theory of dusk/night in X-Plane and daytime in P3D, but even during daylight I'm flying more and more in X-Plane. Might be the novelty factor...