Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

X-plane 10 is barely using my GPU (980 TI)

Compress textures are checked. I was monitoring CPU and GPU usage and there were no where near a bottleneck. I guess I will have to make a video about it and maybe there is tweak I'm missing here.

Post a screenshot of you XP settings.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

my x-plane framerate is averaging 30 fps. So I'm far from the 85 fps. btw, I was monitoring all the core and none of them were maxed out.

So now I'm confused - are you only seeing 30 fps and you want faster framerates, and you're confused at how come you're not seeing more?

The fact that you are only seeing 30fps sounds to me like you have the framerate locked to 30fps.  This would explain why you aren't seeing greater utilization of your CPU / GPU.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I thought the actual benefit of more VRAM on your card, was for such as scenery loading and plane texture's...right?

I thought the actual benefit of more VRAM on your card, was for such as scenery loading and plane texture's...right?

Yeah because depending on the airport I'll push beyond the 4GB I have and then the bus interface activity number (memory swapping I presume) jumps way up and performance dies.  With 6GB I would think he'd be set...aside from cranking up the anti aliasing settings...I find I have to run at 2X max with extended DSFs.

Yeah because depending on the airport I'll push beyond the 4GB I have and then the bus interface activity number (memory swapping I presume) jumps way up and performance dies.  With 6GB I would think he'd be set...aside from cranking up the anti aliasing settings...I find I have to run at 2X max with extended DSFs.

Fortunate that help is on the way. The upcoming Nvidia pascal series cards are supposed to have a minimum of 16GB of Vram

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Fortunate that help is on the way. The upcoming Nvidia pascal series cards are supposed to have a minimum of 16GB of Vram

I can't even imagine...and...it's unusual they wouldn't milk it by giving us 2GB at a time over a couple years rather than going straight to 16.  Skeptical but looking forward to it.

I can't even imagine...and...it's unusual they wouldn't milk it by giving us 2GB at a time over a couple years rather than going straight to 16.  Skeptical but looking forward to it.

I'm thinking because it's an actual die-shrink and the transistor jump that goes with that, coupled with the emerging VR market, and some other uses Nvidia has in mind for this technology.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I also recently upgraded from a GTX780 to an Asus GTX980 TI STRIX.

I was able to push my rendering settings to 8xSSAA+FXAA and turn on the extended DSF. I am running my texture settings on the 2nd from highest (Very High I think) I am not at my Sim right now. My FPS are typically anywhere from 30 - 60 and that is with complicated aircraft like the FF 767 & JAR A330

If I set this too extreme I basically get a slideshow even with my i3570K @ 4.7 and the 980 with 6GB VRAM. It is very easy to use all 6GB on the GPU. I run HD Mesh V3 as well and love my sim the way it currently is.

I can post my settings later tonight.

Don't focus on the FPS, with this card you should be able to get very nice results

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I saw the opposite effect.  I recently went from a 580 to a 980Ti.  I used the VMax 757 and DD NYC scenry for testing.  With the 580, the slower FPS was obvious.   Now with the 980Ti, the FPS are very fast and smooth.  

In P3D the card change gave me about 3 to 5 additional FPS, but without a doubt, the improvement is much more obvious in XP-10.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I also recently upgraded from a GTX780 to an Asus GTX980 TI STRIX.

I was able to push my rendering settings to 8xSSAA+FXAA and turn on the extended DSF. I am running my texture settings on the 2nd from highest (Very High I think) I am not at my Sim right now. My FPS are typically anywhere from 30 - 60 and that is with complicated aircraft like the FF 767 & JAR A330

If I set this too extreme I basically get a slideshow even with my i3570K @ 4.7 and the 980 with 6GB VRAM. It is very easy to use all 6GB on the GPU. I run HD Mesh V3 as well and love my sim the way it currently is.

I can post my settings later tonight.

Don't focus on the FPS, with this card you should be able to get very nice results

Richard

You forgot the most important thing.... Resolution.

Are you at 1080p or 4k on that 42" TV?

You forgot the most important thing.... Resolution.

Are you at 1080p or 4k on that 42" TV?

It is 1080P,

I am sure at 4K I would have to dial back the settings somewhat more.Overall I am very happy with the upgrade. For me the extended DSF was a must and I am happy that I can run 8xSSAA+FXAA

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Here you go,

This is what I pretty much run with all the time. Hope it helps

767PW-300ER_2_zpsbenr7n2s.png

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Would it be possible for you to use GPU-Z and screenshot the sensors tab when you're getting sub par percent utilization?  I'm curious...VRAM used, clock speeds, GPU load, bus interface load, and really, would like to see the others too.  Even though there probably won't be anything surprising in those numbers, I can compare with mine to see if something sticks out.  The only thing I see that's unusual with what you have above is rule of thumb I believe is to always use compress textures (first option).  And 8X anti-aliasing is aggressive but with your 1920 rez...I doubt that would be a big problem (and shouldn't impact GPU util %).  I get anywhere from 20 to 80 fps at 2X with G2XPL textures (ZL17)...but I'm exhausting my VRAM at the same time.  If I switch to 4X AA for the most part, the sim is screwed...and barely usable.  That said, my GPU % usually maxes out at 75%.  When I first got the card, I swear it would be 99% and just stick there.  Not sure what changed...but I had the same issues with a 3GB AMD card which was awful in comparison.  

Would it be possible for you to use GPU-Z and screenshot the sensors tab when you're getting sub par percent utilization?  I'm curious...VRAM used, clock speeds, GPU load, bus interface load, and really, would like to see the others too.  Even though there probably won't be anything surprising in those numbers, I can compare with mine to see if something sticks out.  The only thing I see that's unusual with what you have above is rule of thumb I believe is to always use compress textures (first option).  And 8X anti-aliasing is aggressive but with your 1920 rez...I doubt that would be a big problem (and shouldn't impact GPU util %).  I get anywhere from 20 to 80 fps at 2X with G2XPL textures (ZL17)...but I'm exhausting my VRAM at the same time.  If I switch to 4X AA for the most part, the sim is screwed...and barely usable.  That said, my GPU % usually maxes out at 75%.  When I first got the card, I swear it would be 99% and just stick there.  Not sure what changed...but I had the same issues with a 3GB AMD card which was awful in comparison.  

Here is a screenshot,

20160114_161250_zpsy5k1uutd.jpg

I took it with my phone. Currently at FL400 over West Virginia in the FF767 heading to KMCO. Using the settings I posted above, I also have HDMesh V3 for this region too.

I thought you should only use the compress textures option when you are low on VRAM. Maybe I am misunderstanding but I never have this checked

Richard

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks!  Looks like your GPU load % is consistent with my numbers here (with a 970) if I haven't max'd out my VRAM.  And you clearly have headroom in the amount of VRAM.  So I don't personally see an issue.  

Actually I think you're right on the texture compression thing.  That's probably fine.  But I wonder if you can run a test with that checked...(more for me than you).  I'm curious if you can see a difference in quality and/or performance even though you have plenty of VRAM.  I tried once to not use that option and my performance came to a crawl.  I'm just wondering if you can be pushing 100 FPS with that turned on...well probably not with 8x AA but still.  ;)  And that would also confirm the question as to whether you really are CPU bound or not.  Also that Anisotropic is pretty low demand, you can probably dial that up to 16 and not see any change in performance.  I'd love to try that card in my rig but I'm trying really hard to wait for the next gen.