Sign in to follow this  
metzgergva

PFD altitude missmatch

Hi,

since a flight into KDEN I have this 60 ft missmatch between the ALT bug and the indicated altitude. On the tarmac the aircraft was indicating 60 ft above the ground with baro set correctly. Is this a simulated baro sensor or indicator error?

ALT%20missmatch.jpg

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Hi,

since a flight into KDEN I have this 60 ft missmatch between the ALT bug and the indicated altitude. On the tarmac the aircraft was indicating 60 ft above the ground with baro set correctly. Is this a simulated baro sensor or indicator error?

Looks like you let the aircraft capture an altitude, and then hit STD. Make sure you set standard when it is appropriate, and not when you level off. If you make this mistake, force a slow climb with V/S and recapture.

Basically, the aircraft captures a pressure altitude. You can mess around with the BARO knob for days and it will hold whatever altitude for the pressure level it captured at. If you let it capture the pressure altitude using 29.86, then you're going to be flying 29.86 until you correct it. Switch the baro setting before it captures and you're fine.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you, will do that!

BTW Excellent tutorial video. I'm just learning to fly her!

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Thank you, will do that!

BTW Excellent tutorial video. I'm just learning to fly her!

You're welcome. Good luck on the new adventure. It's certainly an interesting plane to get used to. So much of it is automated that it's tough not to get a creeping feeling that you should be doing more things, but it's all being done for you.

The credit for the tutorial should go to Ryan - he's the one who wrote it. I'm just the loudmouth who put it to visuals  :P

Kyle Rodgers