Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

DSR ?

Hello pilots

I am using P3DV3.1 and I have a 980ti card and do not use NI. Should I use DSR in nvidia control pannel and what does it actually do? Thanks

Regards

Lamar Wright

DSR means dynamic super resolution and does the following: let's asume you have a FullHD monitor with 1920x1080 and you want to use DSR. Depending on the DSR factor you select, the GPU will render the image bigger than your actual resolution. For example, if you use 4xDSR on FullHD, your GPU will render everything in a resolution that has four times (4x) the number of pixels, which is 3840x2160 (or 4K), and then it will be scaled down to FullHD.

So, DSR is basically a very simple antialiasing method comparable to SGSSAA, yet affecting the full image and not used as post-processing, as it is done at the moment the image is rendered. People say, that for P3D (and FSX), DSR is better than any other antialiasing method, as you do not suffer from strange performance losses when flying in bad weather due to the clouds. However: as EVERYTHING is rendered in the higher resolution, using 4xDSR on a FullHD monitor results in a ridiculously small UI. So you might play around with some resolutions to find your sweet spot.

To use DSR, you have to activate it in the nVidia control panel by ticking all available factors (1x, 1.5x, 2x etc). Then, you simply increase your resolution within P3D (or any other software).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have just started using it and have really liked the overall effect, especially in how it gets rid of the shimmers

Hi,

It still doesn't work for everyone. You might want to look at this:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3597/~/dynamic-super-resolution-%28dsr%29-support-reference-chart

If my experience is anything to go by, it would appear that NVIDIA are still struggling to resolve the lack of DSR availability on systems supporting SLI+G-Sync. This issue seems to have been going on for at least a year now.

Mike

To use DSR, you have to activate it in the nVidia control panel by ticking all available factors (1x, 1.5x, 2x etc). Then, you simply increase your resolution within P3D (or any other software).

How does this differ from just creating a custom resolution and using that?

I haven't tried recently but I run 970's SLI with two monitors at 1920x1080 - one for flight and the other for maps, etc. I could not get DSR to work.

My solution was to create a custom resolution of 2560x1440 in the NVCP and assign that in P3D. Main monitor switches to 2560 when P3D starts and reverts on exit. And YES - the UI is pretty darn small.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have a 3440X1440p Ultrawide monitor, I have used DSR before on a 1080p display but I doubt it will do much for me correct?

How does this differ from just creating a custom resolution and using that?

I haven't tried recently but I run 970's SLI with two monitors at 1920x1080 - one for flight and the other for maps, etc. I could not get DSR to work.

I think using DSR with SLI is one of the limitations Mike was talking about. Means: it does not yet work. But as you found another solution... I guess what you did is exactly the same as DSR, simply a little bit more laborious to set up.

I have a 3440X1440p Ultrawide monitor, I have used DSR before on a 1080p display but I doubt it will do much for me correct?

DSR works independently of your native screen resolution I guess. But yes, using for example 4xDSR on a monitor like yours would not provide that much benefit and would certainly kill the performance. For such a resolution, the classic antialiasing methods should be sufficient, some people using such monitors or 4k screens often do not need any antialiasing at all anymore.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I think using DSR with SLI is one of the limitations Mike was talking about. Means: it does not yet work.

I could be wrong, but in my case the DSR option is not there in NCP and I am attributing this to the presence of a G-Sync capable monitor rather than the fact that I am using SLI. I have read of instances where DSR seems to work for some users with SLI and for others the option only appears when SLI is disabled. Clearly NVIDIA still have some work to do and the time it's taking to sort this out suggests that the problem is far from being straightforward.

Mike

I have a Samsung 32 inch monitor 2560 X 1440 Res. What DSR setting do you think I should start with ?

Regards

Lamar Wright

DSR does not work in P3D, at least for me. DSR is meant to run in full screen and P3D is fake full screen as far as I know.

If I try even a small amount of DSR rez the fps drop in half or more. Almost all my other games including FSX has DSR working great.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I could be wrong, but in my case the DSR option is not there in NCP and I am attributing this to the presence of a G-Sync capable monitor rather than the fact that I am using SLI. I have read of instances where DSR seems to work for some users with SLI and for others the option only appears when SLI is disabled. Clearly NVIDIA still have some work to do and the time it's taking to sort this out suggests that the problem is far from being straightforward.

Mike

You are right, just checked that. SLI + G-Sync +DSR does still not work, while SLI + DSR seems to work. Well, nVidia still has some things to improve on this end, no?

I have a Samsung 32 inch monitor 2560 X 1440 Res. What DSR setting do you think I should start with ?

Just as an information: it is NOT a "DSR setting" you use. Again for beginners: to use DSR, you have to activate the DSR factors in your nVidia control panel. Then you have to set a "DSR smoothness" factor, standard is 33%, I would start with 20%. Then, all you have to do to use DSR is adjusting the resolution according to your needs. As soon as DSR is activated, you can select a resolution which is higher than your native screen resolution in the software that supports DSR. That's all.

Greetings, Chris

I'm using P3D and it is working fine for me, with no appreciable effect in performance with a GTX 970.  I am only using 2x with 25% smoothing

You are right, just checked that. SLI + G-Sync +DSR does still not work, while SLI + DSR seems to work. Well, nVidia still has some things to improve on this end, no?

Just as an information: it is NOT a "DSR setting" you use. Again for beginners: to use DSR, you have to activate the DSR factors in your nVidia control panel. Then you have to set a "DSR smoothness" factor, standard is 33%, I would start with 20%. Then, all you have to do to use DSR is adjusting the resolution according to your needs. As soon as DSR is activated, you can select a resolution which is higher than your native screen resolution in the software that supports DSR. That's all.

Thanks AnkH, I'll start off with 2x and a smoothness at 22%

Regards

Lamar Wright

I use DSR with P3dv3.1 and it looks good,I use a 970 card,my screen is a 32" Benq run at a 2x26% DSR,this give me a res of 3620 x 2036,it looks very clear and sharp with no flickering or jaggies and frames around 45/50 

Peter