Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Anomalies in P3D v3

I have noticed quite a few "close to the shore" scenery anomalies in P3D v3 with PlayHorizon VFR photographic scenery active.....

** A string of default texture "islands" stretched north and north west of Papa Stour in the Shetland Isles (and in fact one or two were even visible at a similar latitude all the way to Norway). Curiously, these vanished when I switched FTX Central v2 from "Europe" to "Default" (I use FTX Northern Ireland).

** Another default texture "island" was visible just offshore near Muirfield in Scotland (north east of Edinburgh), only this one was also a massive chasm!! It vanished when I disabled the VFR Volume 8 South Scotland Vectors folder.

** Another string of offshore anomalies was visible this evening when I approached runway 13 at EGNH Blackpool. A closer look seems to indicate that they are crude default texture images of a couple of piers, plus other bits and pieces of rubbish. I suspect that disabling the VFR Volume 3 Northern Engand & Wales Vectors folder will remove these, but I have not tested this yet.

These problems were not evident when I used FSX or P3D v2.4. They are rather annoying, so any suggestions as to how to remove them permanently would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, another spectacular response. A simple "yes, I also see these anomalies", or "no, I do not see these anomalies" would be useful. I do not know why they are there, and I do not know how to get rid of them!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris as I said in my email I dont see those same anomalies :P I can only recommend disabling ALL your scenery and reenabling them one by one to see when they reappear? You'd then need to narrow it down to the specific bgl within that scenery folder by sequentially disabling the bgls until you find the culprit? Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

It seems to be the PlayHorizon VFR UK photographic scenery itself that is causing the problem. The vast majority of the anomalies near Blackpool vanish when I disable the 4.8 metre mesh files, although one that is very close to the shore is still visible unless I also disable the photographic scenery textures. I have the mesh files located below the photo texture files in the Scenery Menu (which I think is correct).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris ... please correct me if I am wrong - but - wasn't the VFR scenery built for FSX?  I remember having it,  but would never have thought of trying to import it into P3D v3?  Ergo - are the problems that you are experiencing self-inflicted by trying to perpetuate an out-moded scenery set in P3D?  Just a thought (and don't shoot the messenger).

The photoscenery is perfectly compatible. :)

It mostly seems to be terrain mesh related? Have you made sure there are no conflicting meshes active? In the Blackpool area you are likely to have a) GenX (5m); b) ESIOM (known layering issues with GenX; and possibly c) OrbX NI as well (10m). Try with each isolated and then all different combinations, then when you find the problem, try different layering orders and see if that solves the problem? Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I had considered the ES Isle of Man scenery as a possible cause, but I am pretty sure that I have seen coastal anomalies elsewhere. ORBx FTX Northern Ireland (in fact the entire Europe region) was disabled for my tests, so that isn't the source (even though that does indeed seem to be the case with respect to the anomalies near Papa Stour).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png