Sign in to follow this  
furger

Poor speech recognition or how to train the speech recognition profile in a foreign operating system language

Hi

I am facing poor speech recognition. So e.g. numbers in commands like "SET ALTITUDE FOUR THOUSAND" or "SET HEADING ONE TWO ZERO" sometimes get totally mixed up.

What I am now wondering is how to train the speech recognition profile.

I am using FS2Crew for the PMDG 777, Prepar3D v3.1, on a Windows10x64Pro installation, with a headset/microphone for the voice control/input.

The operating system language is (Swiss)German. The 'Language' setting on the Speech Properties -> Speech Recognition page however is set to "ENGLISH - US" (as needed). Therefore when trying to train the profile I end up with an popup window telling me that I can't train the profile as operating system language is not identical to the language settings on the speech properties. I already tried to switch both language for the training to English US. However when I later on turn back with my OS language to German, it looks like training got lost. And the same is the case when I try to train with both setting to German and later on switch back the language settings on the speech properties to English as needed by FS2Crew.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Andreas

Andreas Furger

Hi

Nobody else operating FS2Crew in a non English - US Windows 10 environment? I can't believe that . . .

Thanks

Andreas

Andreas Furger

We have zillions of non-English users.  Japanese, Germans, Dutch, you name it.

I've never heard of this issue before with Windows 10 and speech training.

Have you done a Google search on it?

Non-English users with Win 10, please chime in...  he needs help.  

Hello,

I have a French windows 10 but I can't change the speech recognition to english, I read that I have to set my entire OS langage to english.

I wonder how he could have a speech recognition to english and a OS language to German

Dorian Baroz

I can more or less confirm this. I don`t have Windows 10, but in 8.1 I also had to change the entire OS language to english. Only then Speech recognition was working correctly.

Not a big problem on my FS Laptop though, almost everything in aviation is in english anyway.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Hi

@Dorian

From a technical side setting a language for speech recognition which is different to the operating system language is no problem in Wondows 10. You just have to add the respective language then select this language within the speech recognition settings.

@Mike

Windows 8.1 is different. As far as I recall there you have to change the operating system language to get another speech recognition language.

Nevertheless I still would prefer keeping German as operating system language. But nevertheless I certainly want to use my FS2Crew. So any help running a system in this environment and especially having the possibilty of doing the speech training would be appreciated.

Andreas

Andreas Furger

Hi

@Dorian

From a technical side setting a language for speech recognition which is different to the operating system language is no problem in Wondows 10. You just have to add the respective language then select this language within the speech recognition settings.

@Mike

Windows 8.1 is different. As far as I recall there you have to change the operating system language to get another speech recognition language.

Nevertheless I still would prefer keeping German as operating system language. But nevertheless I certainly want to use my FS2Crew. So any help running a system in this environment and especially having the possibilty of doing the speech training would be appreciated.

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Yes I'm able to chose the english-us for speech recognition but like you say you can't run the train.

Dorian Baroz

I just spoke to another German and this how he did it.

Switch your OS to English US.

Run the Voice Training for your Profile (English US).

Then switch to back to German.

He said it had to do it twice for some reason but he said it worked.

Yes, I can confirm this! I'm using a German version of Windows 10 and Voice Control works fine.

I just spoke to another German and this how he did it.

Switch your OS to English US.

Run the Voice Training for your Profile (English US).

Then switch to back to German.

He said it had to do it twice for some reason but he said it worked.

I can add that after I switched back to German I had to set the speech recognition language back to English US. Thats how you do this in your German OS:

Get into your windows start menu and type in: "Sprache und Tastaturoptionen ändern"

You should see your two installed languages

Go on the left side onto "Sprachein-/ausgabe" and select the Spracherkennungssprache to "Englisch (Vereinigte Staaten)"

Hope this denglish tutorial helped you :D

Regards

Hi Bryan

I will give it a another try. In fact I already did it - but just once. When I did it previously it looked to me like having had no effect of doing the speech training having set OS to English US and switching thereafter back to a German OS  . . .

@ freezerfly

Thank you for the guidance. I know how to set a different language in the speech recognition and I do not have a problem to change that language. However as Bryan pointed out in his second reply within this thread, the problem I am facing with the poor speech recognition might be cured by doing the speech training and I was not able to do that (as up to now).

Andreas

• Upvote 1

Andreas Furger