Sign in to follow this  
Bandselect

Update NI Settings + DX10 Fixer

Back in the summer of 2014 Ryan commented on the purchase of a new 780 GTX card and that he would post his findings on what was working. Would the PMDG Dev Team consider posting how they setup NI and DX10 Fixer when flying their fleet?

Thanks, S. Robinson

Scott Robinson

Would the PMDG Dev Team consider posting how they setup NI

Stickeyed in the General Forum.

DX10 Fixer when flying their fleet?

We don't because we do not support DX10 in FSX.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks - I wasn't asking for an endorsement of DX10 fixer, just some idea of how he set it up. The guide that is pinned is three years old.

Ryan made the comment which prompted my interest and I am sure a good number of your customers use DX10 fixer - not that it is required add-on for PMDG customers.

S. Robinson

Scott Robinson

Thanks - I wasn't asking for an endorsement of DX10 fixer, just some idea of how he set it up.

Right, but if we don't support it, we don't recommend it, and would therefore not have an idea or recommendation for setting up something that isn't recommended.

Ryan made the comment which prompted my interest and I am sure a good number of your customers use DX10 fixer - not that it is required add-on for PMDG customers.

They may be old, but they're a good baseline. Tweak from there.

Our customers may use it, but we don't recommend it, and cannot offer support for any issues that may be caused by it.

Kyle Rodgers

The guide that is pinned is three years old.

The guide that you referred to was started almost 5 years ago but it has 40 pages of information that runs thru last summer. Not all of it is three years old as you imply. If you are interested in NI and DX10, I would suggest you search the Internet and not look to PMDG for any information regarding NI and DX10 which Kyle Rodgers clearly indicated is not supported. 

Clearly not a topic you guys want to wade into - and I can understand that. Thanks for working the VAS reductions on the 777 and upcoming 747 V2. That dev work was an unexpected Christmas present.

S. Robinson

Scott Robinson

I'm using Steve fixer with great results, sim ( FSX ) seems to work and look better.

All major scenery devs are following DX10 trend.

Why PMDG is so reluctant to DX10 ?

Artur 

Why PMDG is so reluctant to DX10 ?

It was never a full implementation in FSX. It still isn't a full implementation by the original developer. It requires the purchase of an add-on to ensure that even basic sim functions work properly.

We have compatibility for the DX implementations in P3D, so it's not an issue of keeping up to date with DX implementations. It's a matter of ignoring the abominations of a DX10 implementation MS had initially attempted in FSX. If they'd finished it, that would probably be a different story.

Kyle Rodgers

Freebird - Thanks for the link to the NZ Flight site.  I have also been using DX10 with great success and my intent in starting the thread was more one of curiousity in understanding how the PMDG gurus set it up.

That isn't in a topic PMDG wants to get into which is fine. I believe DX10, along with FSUIPC, are almost mandatory add-ons to exploit the full capability of FSX and enhance the enjoyment of PMDG products.

Scott Robinson

It's really not that we don't "support" DX10 - if you run a vanilla FSX install with DX10 Preview on, the airplanes should work fine, though Kyle is correct about the shortcomings he mentioned above.

The real issue comes from the fact that there are all kinds of third party mods being done to the graphics system at this point. We can't possibly be responsible for supporting things that we have no control over - say a change is made to one of those mods and then suddenly we're inundated with support requests about it. That's not a workable situation for us. To give just one example - back when the 777 was released we had a bunch of tickets come in about the VC becoming partially transparent when in 0 visibility conditions. Vin spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what was wrong with the model and we eventually determined that the entire issue was being caused by a shader mod that the people reporting the issue were using. That's completely wasted time for our team if we have to spend it chasing down things that aren't even our issue.

Regarding Nvidia Inspector - I think the old recommendations largely still hold. I have a very old computer actually at this point, I really need to upgrade before doing another guide.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

It's really not that we don't "support" DX10 - if you run a vanilla FSX install with DX10 Preview on, the airplanes should work fine, though Kyle is correct about the shortcomings he mentioned above.

The real issue comes from the fact that there are all kinds of third party mods being done to the graphics system at this point. We can't possibly be responsible for supporting things that we have no control over - say a change is made to one of those mods and then suddenly we're inundated with support requests about it. That's not a workable situation for us. To give just one example - back when the 777 was released we had a bunch of tickets come in about the VC becoming partially transparent when in 0 visibility conditions. Vin spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what was wrong with the model and we eventually determined that the entire issue was being caused by a shader mod that the people reporting the issue were using. That's completely wasted time for our team if we have to spend it chasing down things that aren't even our issue.

Regarding Nvidia Inspector - I think the old recommendations largely still hold. I have a very old computer actually at this point, I really need to upgrade before doing another guide.

I could use a new PC too if you're buying, Ryan...

• Upvote 1