Sign in to follow this  
Steve Cannell

Why might some of my AI GA airplanes display no textures or black bodies ?

I am using UT2 in P3dV3 and it seems my GA AI ( only about 50%) have this texture problem. They don't even load or appear later.

I have searched the internet and these forums but I can't seem to find a similar topic.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Steve

If you see a black plane, this is usually indicative of a wrong texture assignment in the aircraft.cfg of the specific plane. Means: if you have a paint specified in your aircraft.cfg with an empty texture folder or no texture folder at all, your plane will be rendered without texture, usually appearing black.

If you see no plane at all, this means that UT2 was not able to find any model, either because the assignment inside UT2 is wrong or because of other errors. Then, it can happen that the model is incompatible with "aircraft casts shadows on ground". This was at least the case when using the DX10 mode in FSX, don't know how it is in P3Dv3.

In any case: if I remember correctly, UT2 uses the default planes for GA traffic, no? So, it might be that you have to re-assign all GA traffic models inside UT2, as P3Dv3 has a slightly different composition of GA models compared to FSX or the aircraft have a slightly different folder name.

I do not have this issue, as I do not use any default GA traffic model inside UT2 anymore...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

A permanent black texture definitely means the texture file for that livery is either missing or corrupt.

. In Prepar3d.cfg add this line:

[SCENERY]
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

It will annoy you with all the textures that are borked, if any. There are also many freeware developer apps that are good for finding missing AI aircraft textures, such as AI Flight Planner and AI Aircraft Editor.

But a slow loading of the texture is caused by the hardware not being able to keep up with the demands set by the software configuration

Thanks for the really good tips !!

I think my challenge now is determining which problem aircraft are where. I'll give those tools a try.

Cheers

Steve