Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Choosing "REPAIR" option on disk #1

Seeing some issues like textures missing, SDK problems, and other little things that make me want to run the REPAIR option on FSX diski #1.

Question?

• Will any of my Addons be affected adversely?
  • Will my ORBX scenery, Global, Vector, etc. still be there after a repair?
  • Will I lose anything?

I'd appreciate your knowledge before I pull the trigger.

Stan

The repair feature will replace your fsx.cfg, and scenery.cfg so you would want to move those to a temporary folder and you can move them back after the repair is finished.  It will not affect your dll.xml or exe.xml as these are used by your addons.  Your Modules folder will remain as well as all of your addon scenery.  It should not affect Orbx scenery or Global and Vector, etc.  All repair does is replace missing textures.  None of your addon aircraft will be affected.  If you have Acceleration installed too, make sure you repair that too.  All of your registry entries remain intact.

Just remember to back up your fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg.

Best regard,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks, Jim.  I have courage now to try it.

Stan

Seeing some issues like ..., SDK problems,

I doubt the repair option will do anything to the SDK.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Repairs never work and I mean never - bite the bullet and do a new install you will be wasting your time

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

See my other thread.  Problem solved completely by doing a REPAIR on FSX Acceleration.  All textures back and all A2A planes have full capabilities again.

Stan

Your one lucky guy as I never got a repair to work even if you did probably isn't fixed as if it was a new install 

Rich Sennett

Richard,

I agree with you on a general FSX Repair.  I've heard scary things about that.  However, this was only an ACCELERATION REPAIR.  Not much, I thought, could go wrong.  And it worked flawlessly.

Stan

Your one lucky guy as I never got a repair to work even if you did probably isn't fixed as if it was a new install 

Oh Rich!  You're soooo negative!  LOL.  Just joking of course.  I've done a lot of repairs since 2007 but not recently.  I'm shocked you never got your repairs to work properly.  There could be some problems if you had a program like GEX which replaces all of your default textures but that program can be reinstalled easily after a repair. 

@Stan, glad it worked.  Wish you would have told me you wanted to do just an Acceleration repair. Uninstalling/reinstalling Acceleration will have no affect on any of your files like the fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg as it is just an update.  Only when you repair all of FSX will the fsx.cfg and scenery be overwritten.  Uninstalling/repairing Acceleration or SP2 (for those who do not own Acceleration) has fixed a lot of anomalies and crashes/freezes.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Didn't know that would be the solution, Jim, until Lewis B. recommended it on my thread regarding A2A planes not functioning.  His advice was to do the Acceleration Repair, and THAT fixed not only the A2A stuff but missing textures on my L-39 jet, and other missing textures on various planes.

Amazing.

Stan