Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBinary

P3D v3 on Multi-socket

Hello all!

I've seen a few different posts about if running Prepar3d on multi-socket systems would have any better performance. However, all I've seemed to find was that the only answers deemed it "not worth the cost."

Now, at work, we have spare server components unused (motherboards and processors are the only things we have laying around of value) and quite often use spare parts to build little hobby servers. Since I wouldn't be paying for the motherboard and two processors, all I would need to make a good investment in would be a decent graphics card. But before I sink $200 into a card, is it even worth it? Setting money completely aside, will P3D v3 make use of double-digit processors? And if it did, how much better would it run than compared to my i7 4790?

Specs (would be)

2x Intel Xeon e5-2640 8-core w/ hyperthreading. 32 total cores seen by Windows

8GB DDR4 (pulling from a personal rig)

Considering Radeon R9 280x

Thanks for any input!

... it sounds like a killer combination...can you benchmark the MOBO/CPU combo in Windows?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Yes it will run P3D, but those machines are for running VMs and servers.

P3D Affinity Mask:

16 core HT off

AM=60=(00000000 00111100)

or 16 core HT on

1360=(00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 00,00,01,01,01,01,00,00)

These would work nicely on 6 core CPUs and above, enabling 4 Logical Processors in each case.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I (along with one of the mods at the LM official message board have a dual Xeon system - 12 physical cores total). P3d uses all 12 cores and runs smoothly with HT off and without an affinity mask.

Would I recommend buying such a system? Absolutely not. The only advantage would be to  run all the addons that are exe files (ASN, AI Traffic Optimizer, AI Controller, Super Traffic Board, ProATC, etc.)  on specific cores and mask P3d from using those cores. And the extra cost doesn't warrant the modest benefit unless, like me, you were using the beast for either video editing or some other type of activity that takes advantage of so many physical CPU cores.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reassurance. I went ahead and ordered an R9 280x. Should have the card some time next week.

... it sounds like a killer combination...can you benchmark the MOBO/CPU combo in Windows?

Chas

What do you mean benchmark the combo? Are you referring to a specific bench program?

Yes...check sites like some over clockers/gamers sites with established CPU/GPU benchmark comparisons.

Cheers,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2