Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

Eyefinity, EZDok, HUD, eyepoints

I've been playing with my main view (captains seat) settings, I'm running eyefinity (triple screen), ezdok, and the widescreen=true mode.

To this point its been an endless loop of me making changes, playing a bit... make changes... play.. make changes - I could go on forever. I'm thinking at some point - I just need to pick a view and get used to it. So I have a few questions to help me settle on my view.

In real life, does the captain adjust their seat to get their eyes to a certain point in the cockpit... I assume Boeing has some suggestions and suggests that they do this? (Boeing had something in mind as far as the XYZ of where the captains eyes should be).

OR, does the captain adjust their seat to their preference? (Boeing left flexibility in their design)

For example, does the captain sit down, adjust the seat to their preference, then move the HUD... or does the captain sit down and adjust the seat to line their eyes up with the HUD? The latter would indicate that there is one and only one point in the cockpit where every set of eyes is expected to be at.

In the AVSIM NGX, it appears that there is one and only one point in the cockpit where the HUD works.

In my specific case, I thought (for awhile anyway) that I would like my eyepoint higher in the cockpit. That made me wonder, if I were a taller pilot (I'm a pretty tall guy) would I get this higher view in the cockpit, or would I have to lower the seat to bring me down to the proper eye level? If I like the higher eyepoint, could I physically adjust the HUD to work?

Also, zoom is a big deal. Was the PMDG NGX designed with the intent that the zoom should be set at 1? Does this simulate reality best?

I pose this question to others using something like eyefinity. Using one monitor in regular mode zoom cannot be set to 1, as it is way too close, but eyefinity mode, zoom setting of 1 isn't unreasonable and the details are amazing everywhere.

Finally, instead of playing with arrows and shifting everything around with the EZDok editor, can someone just give me some coordinates and where to put them so that the main view is precisely where it should be (where the PMDG gang intended the eyepoint to be) along with the zoom level if applicable.

Thank you!

In real life, does the captain adjust their seat to get their eyes to a certain point in the cockpit... I assume Boeing has some suggestions and suggests that they do this? (Boeing had something in mind as far as the XYZ of where the captains eyes should be).

Yep. In the manuals. I think it's FCOMv1, but it could be the FCTM. You can change it to what you want, as long as you get used to that eyepoint. I know when I fly 172s, I put the seat pretty much as far down as it goes.

Also, zoom is a big deal. Was the PMDG NGX designed with the intent that the zoom should be set at 1? Does this simulate reality best?

The best view you're going to get, distortion-wise, is at 1.0. This is how the sim was designed. Things should be reasonable between about 0.7 and 1.0.

Kyle Rodgers

I think I can get used to any eyepoint - I just have to pick one at this point.

Seeing as there technically is one single eyepoint that they designed for, what are the coordinates that I need to be at in the sim? Can I go to a config file somewhere and type in the coordinates so I don't have to mess with arrows and ezdok?

I think I can get used to any eyepoint - I just have to pick one at this point.

Seeing as there technically is one single eyepoint that they designed for, what are the coordinates that I need to be at in the sim? Can I go to a config file somewhere and type in the coordinates so I don't have to mess with arrows and ezdok?

Not sure how I can express that. Basically, the eyepoint that you started with when you installed the NGX. If you're looking for the Boeing standard, have a look at the guides (pictures) in the manual and match it up in the sim with either the in-sim or EZDok eyepoint move commands.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, thank you I should have figured that.

Unfortunately I over-rode the default eyepoint when I was playing with it. I think EZDok saves to the aircraft .cfg file. Can someone dig into their .cfg file and tell me what PMDG's default eyepoint is set at?

Thanks!

I'm fairly sure Ezdok does not update the default view settings in aircraft.cfg. It adds a few lines at the end of the file. Ezdok works by making an offset to the preset position. I don't have Ezdok installed any longer and I can't remember if there's an easy way to remove any offsets you created. I think you might have to delete all the internal views and start again to get back to the original position. Alternatively disable EZdok and make a mental note of where the default position is in the VC (or take a screen shot of it).

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thank you Kevin.

Is the PMDG HUD setup to only work in the default position? You think I could find my way back to the original spot just by moving around till the HUD looks like it should?

Is the PMDG HUD setup to only work in the default position?

Yes. It's a collimated display, and will only work when you're within the tolerances for that collimation.

You think I could find my way back to the original spot just by moving around till the HUD looks like it should?

That'll do.

Guarantee following the Boeing guide will be even more accurate than eyeballing it via the HUD.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

I'm trying to do my due diligence and not waste your time with dumb questions, but I've looked in the FCOMv1 and FCTM and cannot find a discussion on eye position. If its in there, I missed it.

The lesson to learn from this thread for anyone reading it is don't modify PMDG's captain / FO views because you guys already did the work for us in placing it in the right spot (if you want it in the correct spot and don't prefer something different). 

As for Kevin's suggestion, I'm going to use that as a last resort. 

I'm trying to do my due diligence and not waste your time with dumb questions, but I've looked in the FCOMv1 and FCTM and cannot find a discussion on eye position. If its in there, I missed it.

Might be in v2, then. A search of "Pilot Seat Adjustment" should get you a hit somewhere, if memory serves. I'll try to get you a page number when I get home.

Kyle Rodgers

Got it. v2 pp. 1.40.45

Thanks again for your help, always knowledgeable.

Welcome - sorry for the Goose Chase. I forget which book has what sometimes.

Kyle Rodgers

A random question:

Why is it called a glareshield? It's more like a dashboard. Not really shielding any sort of glare, is it?

Not really shielding any sort of glare, is it?

Not to your eyes as much as the displays.

Kyle Rodgers