Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

Eyefinity, EZDok, HUD, eyepoints

In real life, does the captain adjust their seat to get their eyes to a certain point in the cockpit... I assume Boeing has some suggestions and suggests that they do this? (Boeing had something in mind as far as the XYZ of where the captains eyes should be).

OR, does the captain adjust their seat to their preference? (Boeing left flexibility in their design)

In the real airplane the captain has to position his seat based on the HUD.  There is a little leeway but not much before you cannot see the entire HUD display.  In the right seat it's just personal preference.  I personally set my seat so I can just see down along the top of the glareshield.  For me this puts the horizon centered vertically in the forward windshield.

That's what I ended up doing last night, centering the HUD display. Then doublechecked with the manual. Worked just fine, thanks for the help! Zoom to .85, with 3 monitors the entire left screen ends up to be pretty much a full window display. Pretty cool getting peripherals such as road traffic and buildings on final approaches.

Another thing to consider, in the airplane the eyepoint is closer to the HUD combiner than the way most simmers set up their views.  The combiner glass should fill a good portion of you field of view.

I saw that, PMDG has it right though, if the zoom was set at 1 it would nearly fill the screen. I played with .7 - 1.0 and settled on .85.

I haven't been using the HUD at all until recently. Having the higher zoom setting takes the PFD out of view, so its either undock the window or use the HUD.

Having the speed right there as you're spotting the runway I think is going to quickly turn the HUD into a necessity for me.

Similarly the altitude callouts, which I haven't had till I got PMDG's plane, how did I ever do without them?