Sign in to follow this  
msimon

777 .HOURS file will not save on exit

11 hour flight - exited via ending the scenario - boom, no hours saved.

I've just seen this post;

If I start from a fresh load of the 777 then quit just siting at the gate or a runway before any flight has taken place I find the file has been updated, However if you do a flight of any kind and exit when you have finished, the file will never be updated because the sim crashes on exit.

I tried loading the aircraft and exiting without flying and the hours update perfectly, they just don't seem to want to update after actually flying. Really, really frustrating me now :(

I've also checked the reliability history, P3D exits fine with no crashes.

Completely and utterly baffled.

Did you end flight before exiting FSX as recommended by others?

I wonder why you are using FSX if you have P3D?  I could never go back to FSX..., except for testing of course.

Also, I noticed that both FSX and P3D update the pilot's logbook when you either exit, end flight or shut down engines.  Are you shutting down engines before trying to exit?  You have ways to work around the exit error, pick one.

Dan Downs KCRP

Did you end flight before exiting FSX as recommended by others?

I wonder why you are using FSX if you have P3D?  I could never go back to FSX..., except for testing of course.

Also, I noticed that both FSX and P3D update the pilot's logbook when you either exit, end flight or shut down engines.  Are you shutting down engines before trying to exit?  You have ways to work around the exit error, pick one.

I've probably confused things a bit here. I'm using P3D, and by "end flight" I mean "end scenario" but yes, I've done this, the P3D equivelent.

And yes, everything is shut down as per the 777 secure checklist. I then usually save my panel state (which updates and saves fine, by the way) and exit the sim, so I've tried all the work-arounds suggested here;

You have ways to work around the exit error, pick one.

and none are working, hence my latest post... I'm not just reading the suggestions and ignoring them, I really want to sort this issue out.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, that clears up a little but I am still confused with the crash on exit event.  I've probably misread but what i think I read is that the hours file will update unless you have a P3D crash on exit. If there is no crash then the hours file is updated.  If you select End Scenario does that save the hours file?

Dan Downs KCRP

No sir, from the end scenario page I can load, save and reset the flight and exit, which just closes the program the standard way. I've tried this but to no avail with saving the file.

Since posting early this morning after my flight, I've found a few suggestions regarding p3d crashes that may go unnoticed, one been reducing the affinity mask in the CFG file to the default 14 to prevent a coutl issue that can cause a crash. I've done this, and also updated a few modules that were throwing out errors on the event viewer (the coutl related one and a RAAS related one). I will be making the return flight from Tokyo tonight, so I will see how I get on once the flight is complete.

I've submitted a ticket to PMDG in the meantime to see if they have any suggestions. I was a little frustrated this morning whilst posting as it's baffling me as to why it won't save, probably overreacted a little. I'm just thankful it's such a small issue, at least I can successfully fly the thing with no real issues!

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Ok... let us know what the PMDG advice is on this.  I've got a B77L flight enroute PHNL KORD with my N785UA and just checked the hours file which had a date/time stamp of this morning when i used it to set up GSX parking at KORD then quit P3D. I'll verify it updates when session is over.

Edit update:  On exit of P3D verified hours file is updated.

Dan Downs KCRP

I've just finished a flight, and I can happily confirm the hours file updated upon exit!

I opened the task manager and closed the tasks which were bringing up errors subliminally previously just to be safe and exited via ending the scenario. However, I did have an unrelated PC crash a few hours into the flight, so I don't know if the sim restart had anything to do with it working correctly for once!

I'm back to work for 5 days now anyway so I'll have to recheck and confirm the issue is solved next week. Its looking promising though :)

Tom

I've just finished a flight, and I can happily confirm the hours file updated upon exit!

Right, now solve the problem of frequent crashes in P3D... this is not normal and is something that can be solved.  I fly almost every day and have not had a session end abnormally since May and that was related to overclocking.

Yeah, I actually keep track of stuff like that. Maybe I am abnormal?  Anyway, this is just a chance to promote the logbook editor i created in C# that is available in the AVSIM library... for for LogEdit2.

Dan Downs KCRP

Right, now solve the problem of frequent crashes in P3D... this is not normal and is something that can be solved.  I fly almost every day and have not had a session end abnormally since May and that was related to overclocking.

The main crash/CTD I experienced today really was a one off, it was my first in many, many hours of using P3D. It was the familiar PMDG 777 PFD pop-up click that triggered it, I've found the culprit in the event viewer and fixed it from numerous similar instances online and I'm sure it won't be happening again!

Whilst I was in the Event Viewer, it flagged up no other errors from my last session, and the hours saved so it all seems to be well again. I will feedback next week after some flights :)

Tom,

I opened the task manager and closed the tasks which were bringing up errors subliminally previously just to be safe and exited via ending the scenario.

Tom,

Could you elaborate on what programs you saw causing issue? And since September had any more issues, or further ideas?