Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Non K series overclocking possible!

The drawback is when flashed bios to not K it not support K type CPUs.

And no C-states

Playing with it with my I3-6320 for a wile.

Non-K overclocking? But that's impossible. Actually, thanks to ASUS, it isn't. It truly is a Christmas miracle.

To say that giving us the capability to overclock our regular, non-K, Intel CPUs would be the kind of thing that would change the game is understating how important this could be. Our ability to overclock has always been heavily reliant upon the type of processor we have, and the Intel K series CPUs have justified their extra cost by providing boat-loads of overclocking potential.

ASUS boffins have been beavering away and have brought a BIOS to their Z170 chipset motherboards that promises to unleash this overclocking performance regardless of the processor we have installed.

As you can see the ASUS non-K overclocking BIOS definitely does what it promises. Before you rush off to download it and flash your own ASUS Z170 motherboard there are some hefty caveats in its current state. Firstly, it's an extremely early BIOS. We could spend half this "look at" just explaining the things which no longer work. Secondly the CPUz screenshots might show high clock speeds, and indeed they do, but the actual benchmarks don't remotely echo the expected level of performance. So it's not remotely something you should run 24/7. It's a "flash, muck about, lick your lips at the potential capabilities once it's more mature, flash your regular BIOS back on" state of affairs.

Now it might seem that those are some heavy warning signs, but don't confuse our natural desire not to leave you with a system which is only useful for 'suicide CPUz's with us being negative about the theory behind this. In the future this could really unleash massive performance potential across millions of computers. The non-K processors are massively popular, and quite how ASUS R&D people have managed to free them up for overclocking speaks volumes both about their technical expertise and their desire to bring huge performance to the masses.

The drawback is when flashed bios to not K it not support K type CPUs.

And no C-states

Playing with it with my I3-6320 for a wile.

Early days though Westman. Once the bios is mature, is sounds promising for those with non K chips. :smile: This all depends if Intel sanction it of course.

Not supporting K type after flashing to non K type isn't an issue I wouldn't have thought. You just flash back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s-4VaXk30VI

Not sure to truly get the magic here.

I've had non-K (and non-Skylake) for a while and never had problems to OC them, bus wise. You got to take care about more details than a multiplier based OC for sure (especially when it comes to DDR rating&timing), but that does work !

Was Skylake's bus-based OC previously impossible before this BIOS update thing ?