Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Help with Triple Monitor Setup / Resolution, etc. Just can't get it right

So I have a triple monitor setup for FSX, and while it seems (Seemed?) like a good idea, I just can't get it right..

The most annoying part of it is the stretching, followed by not knowing the correct zoom levels to use here, not being able to find anything that "seems/feels right".

I found several posts about folks with their new 4k monitors, or 1440p monitors, etc. and thought maybe that would be a good alternative, as a compromise between the horizontal resolution, no stretching, etc.

So, in light of that I said> "hey, let's rotate the monitors and set it up in portrait mode, to get an approximate idea of what one of those monitors will give me"

After all, 4K is 3840 x 2160, the 1440p ones are 2560 x 1440 and my 3 monitors in portrait are 3240 x 1920 so that's pretty close at least to get an idea right?

Well didn't really like what I saw... The setup itself while horizontally the bezels go unnoticed after a while, it's worse on portrait. But one good thing was no stretching was really noticeable.

Please look at the screenshots (disregard the spacing and the lack of bezel compensation):

Portrait1.jpg

Portrait2.jpg

Portrait3.jpg

Portrait4.jpg

Portrait5.jpg

Portrait6.jpg

Portrait7.jpg

Everything seems to be too "in your face", 1.0x (the ones you'll see as more "zoomed in" are 1.0) is impossible, and as you go down of course the gauges suffer, etc., but besides that it doesn't look anything like the pics I have seen of VC shots where even in airliners like the PMDG looksnice and you can see a bigger/wider area.

I then went back to triple landscape setup, but still doesn't look right..

Landscape1.jpg

Landscape2.jpg

So what am I doing wrong?? I know some of it will be because while I am using a close resolution to those monitors it is also spread out over a much larger physical surface, since the monitors will typically be 24", or 27" (or maybe even a 32" in there?) and these are THREE 23" ones, so that probably doesn't help but still...

Can anyone that knows about this provide some tips or something? Or maybe it's just me doing something wrong, sitting too close, etc?

Thanks!!

So what am I doing wrong?? I know some of it will be because while I am using a close resolution to those monitors it is also spread out over a much larger physical surface, since the monitors will typically be 24", or 27" (or maybe even a 32" in there?) and these are THREE 23" ones, so that probably doesn't help but still...

Can anyone that knows about this provide some tips or something? Or maybe it's just me doing something wrong, sitting too close, etc?

No your not doing anything wrong you are just running into the limitations of a multi monitor setup.

Best thing to start with is to move your eye point as far back as possible without going into the seat back. Use the keyboard short cut to do this.

Then try a zoom of 0.6 or so.

Even with multi monitors you can not really still avoid having to look around a bit.

A lot of those 0.3 zoom setups have a lot of hardware controllers so you then don't have to mouse the VC much.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

No your not doing anything wrong you are just running into the limitations of a multi monitor setup.

Best thing to start with is to move your eye point as far back as possible without going into the seat back. Use the keyboard short cut to do this.

Then try a zoom of 0.6 or so.

Even with multi monitors you can not really still avoid having to look around a bit.

A lot of those 0.3 zoom setups have a lot of hardware controllers so you then don't have to mouse the VC much.

gb.

What do you mean 0.3 zoom? If I enter that I practically see everything, and it's all,tiny?

What do you mean 0.3 zoom? If I enter that I practically see everything, and it's all,tiny?

Yes I agree and that's what I said.

But if you have a lot of hardware controllers like MCPs and switch panels some people can live with it.

Try  a 0.6 zoom setting after moving the seat back as far as possible with the "Control+ Enter" keyboard shortcut (use "Control + Backspace to move forward again if you go too far).

It's a compromise of maximum view verses maximum usability.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I use my triple wrap-around with the zoom at 1.00.  Depending on the aircraft I might go to 1.5.  Yea, if I zoom out the  side displays will start to show distortion.  I look at it this way the side displays are merely to improve the immersion factor,  to provide scenery out to the edges of my side vision.  I don't use them to run cockpit operations.  I am 90% looking at the forward display.

I sometimes use my TrackIR so I can extend my by view turning my head.  Works good with three displays.  Even with 3-displays it adds an extra "kick" to my immersion.

I also have a pretty full cockpit hardware replacement which means I really don't need the VC cockpit.  That is how I usually ride.  I get great panoramic views this way.  But I have the option to eith fly inside the VC or without.  I like options.

Some other simmer posted here on the forums a way he set up his displays with zero distortion on the sides.  I would seek out that thread as that may be the answer you are looking for.

just some tidbits...

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

If your instrument panel appears too close in the VC mode,   you need to change a setting in your .cfg file.

wide view aspect = true.     default is 'false'   change to 'true' and the instrument view will move back properly.

(C:\Users\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG)

As for the stretching effect,  this is a result of 'aspect ratio'  and zoom.  The result of projecting a 3D image on a flat screen,   even with a single monitor, this can be seen at far corners if you move a round instrument there, but hardly noticeable.

we used to run around 3800 x 1200 for triple screens. ( 3-1 approx. ).

with high resolution wide screen monitors these days, that ratio has increased to over 6-1  and is the primary cause of the stretching effect at far right and left.

Yes, there are some who claim to fix it,  you would have to search.   A really good video on this effect is here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

I prefer to run at a lower resolution,  around 5040 x 1200  as a max.  with bezel correction, most use 6000 or so and the effect is very noticeable.

So, change the wide wiew apect setting, =true,  start with 1.0 zoom and go from there.

hope this helps,

Ron.

If your instrument panel appears too close in the VC mode,   you need to change a setting in your .cfg file.

wide view aspect = true.     default is 'false'   change to 'true' and the instrument view will move back properly.

(C:\Users\YOUR ACCOUNT NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG)

As for the stretching effect,  this is a result of 'aspect ratio'  and zoom.  The result of projecting a 3D image on a flat screen,   even with a single monitor, this can be seen at far corners if you move a round instrument there, but hardly noticeable.

we used to run around 3800 x 1200 for triple screens. ( 3-1 approx. ).

with high resolution wide screen monitors these days, that ratio has increased to over 6-1  and is the primary cause of the stretching effect at far right and left.

Yes, there are some who claim to fix it,  you would have to search.   A really good video on this effect is here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

I prefer to run at a lower resolution,  around 5040 x 1200  as a max.  with bezel correction, most use 6000 or so and the effect is very noticeable.

So, change the wide wiew apect setting, =true,  start with 1.0 zoom and go from there.

hope this helps,

Ron.

Yeah, I already have the wide aspect option changed (I think that is even the default on the Steam Edition version). Zoom of 1.0 I just see to little (a real close up view of the panel).

Will try the eye/viewpoint settings to see if I can make it better, but I'm kind of getting frustrated with so many tweaks to just not get it as good as I'd like and considerig witching to either an ultra wide 3440x1440 single screen, or a 4K screen...

Will try the eye/viewpoint settings to see if I can make it better, but I'm kind of getting frustrated with so many tweaks to just not get it as good as I'd like and considerig witching to either an ultra wide 3440x1440 single screen, or a 4K screen...

As you said above your three screens in portrait orientation add up to very close to 4K resolution.

If you imagine those bevels disappearing that's pretty close to what a real 4K will look like, distortion wise as well. So you really should get those three in portrait mode to look like something you can live with before investing in a 4K.

A 3440x1440 is very narrow in the vertical direction so that would imply more paning in the vertical direction at least.

I think you are making the mistake of assuming that having a big screen means you will never have to pan around the VC.

gb.

Yes I agree and that's what I said.

But if you have a lot of hardware controllers like MCPs and switch panels some people can live with it.

Try  a 0.6 zoom setting after moving the seat back as far as possible with the "Control+ Enter" keyboard shortcut (use "Control + Backspace to move forward again if you go too far).

It's a compromise of maximum view verses maximum usability.

gb.

Sorry but going back to this I still don't understand what you mean...

I imagine if people have a lot of hardware, theb they see the hardware directly in "the real world", and so can use almost all the screen just for the view.

But at the zoom setting you say it's actually the opposite! You see pretty much the entire cockpit, pedals and more!

Are you you didn't mean zoom levels over 1.0?

As you said above your three screens in portrait orientation add up to very close to 4K resolution.

If you imagine those bevels disappearing that's pretty close to what a real 4K will look like, distortion wise as well. So you really should get those three in portrait mode to look like something you can live with before investing in a 4K.

A 3440x1440 is very narrow in the vertical direction so that would imply more paning in the vertical direction at least.

I think you are making the mistake of assuming that having a big screen means you will never have to pan around the VC.

gb.

Well no, not really. I don't mind having to pan, I just want to set it up (both through my configuring and also having a good screen resolution) to have a realistic view on screen.

The ultra wide it's true, it is narrower -than a 4K-, but it is 30% taller than my cirrent setup at 1080p anyway right? Just going by pictures but seems to have a good sense of immersion.

Sorry but going back to this I still don't understand what you mean...

I imagine if people have a lot of hardware, theb they see the hardware directly in "the real world", and so can use almost all the screen just for the view.

Well yes, that's one option.

But at the zoom setting you say it's actually the opposite! You see pretty much the entire cockpit, pedals and more!

And yes, that's another option.

I use 0.6 zoom and the eyepoint moved back with my 4K TV and I can see a fair amount of the cockpit and still read all the gauges and use the mouse cursor accurately.

Everything seems to be too "in your face", 1.0x (the ones you'll see as more "zoomed in" are 1.0) is impossible, and as you go down of course the gauges suffer, etc., but besides that it doesn't look anything like the pics I have seen of VC shots where even in airliners like the PMDG looksnice and you can see a bigger/wider area.

Well no, not really. I don't mind having to pan, I just want to set it up (both through my configuring and also having a good screen resolution) to have a realistic view on screen.

I a bit confused with what you actually want now.

What do you mean by "Realistic"?

Depth perception wise, realistic is up around zoom 1.0 but you say above that this is too "in your face" and you really want a wide view that matches those YouTube videos?

There is no magical solution.

You really only have two controls here ie the zoom ratio and eyepoint position.

You just have to juggle the numbers to find something that works for you.

Edit: These values maybe different for different planes.

(Please tell me you have tried moving the eyepoint back)  :)

gb.

I guess you triple monitor users want it to look like this ? :

DF%201%20horizontal.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Gerard can you do a right up on how you were able to take the inner bezels off and stitch the LED panel together to accomplish that photo.  :Big Grin:  :Big Grin:  :Big Grin:

I would like to do the same to my set up... LOL...

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Gerard can you do a right up on how you were able to take the inner bezels off and stitch the LED panel together to accomplish that photo.  :Big Grin:  :Big Grin:  :Big Grin:

I would like to do the same to my set up... LOL...

This is a screenshot from my Fs view.

No stretched sides.....

Within some months everyone will be able to have it that way too.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Look at this video series, it is quite helpfull.

I am running 3x 1920x1200 in portrait using wideview=true and 0.8 zoom. But the zommfactor depends on the distance between you and the screens.  i am happy with it. i use ezdok to switch between panel views (overhead, ifr only, radios without trackIR) and the general view of the cockpit with trackir.

I only need trackIR in the pattern or on start/landing. the rest can be done by mouse.

Kind regards
John 

This is a screenshot from my Fs view.

No stretched sides.....

Within some months everyone will be able to have it that way too.

Looks like the trade-off might be a very curved horizon?

Do you have another shot  with maybe some rectangular buildings at the edges ?

gb.