Sign in to follow this  
trucker17

2nd Annual Tom Allensworth Memorial Flight - Date ~ APR 16 (TBD)

Don't have VATSIM, et al. Is it a pre-requisite that must have that?

No it is not.

Ok. I planned and flew my suggested route and the distance is 575 miles. The time i did not check as their will be so many different aircraft that can participate in the flight.

neucoas

Why would I need to do all that when trucker17 has clearly stated that there is no need for VATSIM?

I'm trying to avoid registering for yet another online website. I already have far too many of them with my data.

neucoas

Why would I need to do all that when trucker17 has clearly stated that there is no need for VATSIM?

I'm trying to avoid registering for yet another online website. I already have far too many of them with my data.

Sorry, i did not see his post. :sad:

Better wait that Trucker17 confirms first.

PS: I will be using a Ryan Navion B with tip-tanks. 

Cheers :)

N.-

any specific route or scenery or places to visit while we fly this?

None yet. We have no specific route as of yet. We will post the route once we have enough feedback from everyone in suggestions for places and dates and times.

Sorry, i did not see his post. :sad:

Better wait that Trucker17 confirms first.

PS: I will be using a Ryan Navion B with tip-tanks. 

I am not going to say were using Vatsim, and i'm not going to say were not. Last year we had 2 different one we used. so Untill we know for sure. its open.

Sorry, didn't see the forum link at first. I am volunteering for whatever is needed, and whatever I can do. I would also like to suggest IAD as an airport, as it was the "unofficial" HQ for AVSIM for a number of years for FanCons, server-farm work, and board meetings.

I can't believe it's been a year already. :(

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Okay, just got my Bowerman airport, and already have Flightbeam's KIAD. Have the A2A aircraft. All primed, awaiting further NOTAMS

If you guys decide to utilize VATSIM please shoot us in ZDC an e-mail at least two weeks prior, so we can ensure controllers -- events at vzdc dot org.

Thanks!

Does anyone know where he was born?

If not Charlottesville, maybe that could be a starting point.

Why not have an appropriate funnel point or two some distances away through which everyone navigates. Say 100 NM or more distant from Charlottesville. Then participants could be spaced through those enroute. That would allow departures from any number of airports and provide controllers the ability to create better spacing on arrivals.  For example ELK (Elkins, WV) to the N-NW and GSO (Greensboro, NC) to the S-SSW.  Much like using  STARs. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Why not have an appropriate funnel point or two some distances away through which everyone navigates. Say 100 NM or more distant from Charlottesville. Then participants could be spaced through those enroute. That would allow departures from any number of airports and provide controllers the ability to create better spacing on arrivals.  For example ELK (Elkins, WV) to the N-NW and GSO (Greensboro, NC) to the S-SSW.  Much like using  STARs. 

Sounds like a good idea. We'll keep that in mind. I may email you, to get more details on how to set that up.

I have not done a sim fly in yet so do not know about setting it up. The concept I mentioned however is similar to a STAR (Standard Instrument Arrival Route). STARs define instrument routes into an area to the point that they can feed airport approaches.  My thought is that if the inbound aircraft all use an initial approach fix for a runway , which is typically 15nm or closer in to the airport, then spacing becomes a problem.  But if spacing starts farther out in distance the spacing becomes easier to manage. Then if pilots can manage given speeds the spacing can be maintained from there, through the approach, to landing and clearing the runway.  It would be up to the participating controllers to manage it.

Anyone with experience on these. How many inbound flights typically participate?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Found a nice KCHO freeware add-on in the library here on Avsim.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

IF we decide to use VATSIM online for the flight, we might want to engage the local facilities and have them staff-up ATC for us. I am not familiar with the Virginia area as much as I should be, not sure if that field is controlled or not? But, they could put a center and approach controllers up for us.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.