Sign in to follow this  
trucker17

2nd Annual Tom Allensworth Memorial Flight - Date ~ APR 16 (TBD)

I received a message from MSFlights.

They will be joing in on the planning of the flights. So we will be putting everything together that we have now and sending to them.

They have teamspeak servers, and can do the video for the flight. I will see about them doing screens of the flight.

So we need everyone who has plans for April to give us the dates that are good for you, so we can get a set date.

The sooner the better on this information everyone. Thanks.

Craig.

• Upvote 1

I received a message from MSFlights.

They will be joing in on the planning of the flights. So we will be putting everything together that we have now and sending to them.

They have teamspeak servers, and can do the video for the flight. I will see about them doing screens of the flight.

So we need everyone who has plans for April to give us the dates that are good for you, so we can get a set date.

The sooner the better on this information everyone. Thanks.

Craig.

Cool! I know the hardest part of something like this just getting it all organized, and that's what these guys do all the time. Hopefully this will lessen your workload and give you the time to gather and get people excited. It's not just the flight, in things like this, it's the camaraderie, shared interest.... and the great conversations! I haven't flown with them since the start, when it was MSFLIght that was the catalyst, but I've watched them grow and prosper, and knew they would be glad to help!

Some of their work:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sounds great... Trucker17, PM me when we have some solid details, dates, info set, and I will make a custom page here at AVSIM with the latest and greatest so all those who wish to participate can go to one place to get the bullet point details.

Can anyone provide a guide, or a link to a tutorial, on how new users can participate?  I know for a newcomer to online flying, the setup can be intimidating, even though it's rather straight forward once you get into it.

This may already be answered, but as someone learning Vatsim,  I find myself studying setup from Matt Davies aka BelynzHD Youtube channel.  He has been extremely helpful to me.  He has done "how to" videos and shows all the programs needed and how to set them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BelynzHD

Brett

Hello guys, Kalo here from msFlights.net. For a flight like this I would suggest a target cruise speed of around 160kts so people could fly general aviation or ww2 planes, alot of people seem more comfortable in general aviation aircraft. I threw together a sample route we could fly: KAVL>KTRI>KROA>KCHO to see it visually: https://skyvector.com/?ll=37.00650076239044,-80.38586425162273&chart=301&zoom=7&fpl=%20KAVL%20KAVL%20KTRI%20KROA%20KCHO%20KCHO

This would be a scenic flight over the Appalachian mountains ending at Toms's Charlottesville airport, with a large group of people this would probably take around 2-2.5hrs.

April 9th seems like it would be a good date as it's a Saturday, maybe around 3pm EST? That way it wouldn't be too early for west coast Americans, or too late for Europeans.

As soon as you guys decide on a flight plan and date/time we could post it on the msFlights.net homepage/calendar (sooner the better). Feel free to use our teamspeak.

Also would you want to fly this on a regular FSX classic server? Or would you want to fly this on a crossplatform server so that pilots using P3D, steam, and classic could all fly together? We dubbed the crossplatform software "SimLink", it uses vpilot, fsd, and some model matching files to work. If you would like to test SimLink out here is a post on how to set it up: http://msflights.net/forum/showthread.php?4832-SimLink-Quick-start

• Upvote 2

I threw together a sample route we could fly: KAVL>KTRI>KROA>KCHO to see it visually: https://skyvector.co... KROA KCHO KCHO
This would be a scenic flight over the Appalachian mountains ending at Toms's Charlottesville airport, with a large group of people this would probably take around 2-2.5hrs.

Good starting point recommendation.  I would develop a route from KAVL to HMV (Houlston Mountain) then victor airway V16 from HMV to ROA (Roanoke) then V375 from ROA to KENNI intersection, which is the IAF for KCHO ILS03. KENNI, aligned with R03, could also be the eye of the needle for an approach to GPS 03.  The route follows nearly the same path (and scenics) and would allow those with GPS to program in the flight path.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Anybody know what Tom did in the Navy?  I have a thought in mind for a promo video. 

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.

I threw together a sample route we could fly: KAVL>KTRI>KROA>KCHO to see it visually: https://skyvector.co... KROA KCHO KCHO

Flew this route today and despite mostly IFR conditions was able to get some good screen shots that show the character of the flight. They have been posted in a new topic in the Screenshots Forum here on Avsim.  My flight time, airspeed, and wind component are reported in that post.  

Actually I few KAVL HMV V16 ROA V375 KENNI (which is the IAF for KCHO ILS 03). Unfortunately I was IFR with a 500 ft ceiling on approach.  In VFR conditions you see the city of Charlottesville, including the University of Virginia, on approach to Rwy 03.  NIce if you have photo real scenery.

Here is the link:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484051-flew-a-proposed-memorial-flight-route-today-kavlkcho/

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Anybody know what Tom did in the Navy?  I have a thought in mind for a promo video. 

Perhaps this will be helpful: http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/interviews/the-janitor-an-interview-with-tom-allensworth-r2207

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Perhaps someone could be commissioned to create a repaint of this and have the last fly-in arrival land with it. It is the only reference I can find to a US Nay GA aircraft model.  It is essentially a Beech King Air B200:

http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.display&key=8BED05D0-71F0-48D2-A855-1039521AD208

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Flew this route today and despite mostly IFR conditions was able to get some good screen shots that show the character of the flight. They have been posted in a new topic in the Screenshots Forum here on Avsim.  My flight time, airspeed, and wind component are reported in that post.  

Actually I few KAVL HMV V16 ROA V375 KENNI (which is the IAF for KCHO ILS 03). Unfortunately I was IFR with a 500 ft ceiling on approach.  In VFR conditions you see the city of Charlottesville, including the University of Virginia, on approach to Rwy 03.  NIce if you have photo real scenery.

Here is the link:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484051-flew-a-proposed-memorial-flight-route-today-kavlkcho/

That sounds good. If no one objects.this will be the route we use.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.