Sign in to follow this  
gliderdriver

Effect of a 4Gb card on a 32 bit Win7 system

Hi all

I have a HD7850 2 Gb card at the moment running on a 6 year old AMD dual core (3.1 Mhz) chip and a Gigabyte Mobo.

I have been running GenX! photoscenery with no autogen and the HD7850 copes Ok with that, except I have never been able to overcome the Vsync tearing despite trying all manner of 3rd party software to clamp the rendering.

I have started to run OrbX! scenery and the FPS is much reduced, so thought to change cards to a GTX 970 in the hope of no hideous Vsync issues, better shading and lighting, lower power use, cooler, and better FPS.

I can't afford a new chip/Mobo combination and only have the Win 7 32 bit OS with 4 Gb of RAM (3Gb addressable with the 'switch').

My question please:

How would a 970 4 Gb card interact and cope with the memory limitation of my system and should I stick to a 2 Gb card?

What thoughts have you generally on my plan?

Many thanks,

Phil

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's pretty well known that nVidia works much better with FSX than AMD. Even a GTX560Ti would be better off.

Ideally though, that PC is old and slow, a whole new PC with Intel and nVidia would be the best option.

I agree with VeryBumpy! Putting a 970 into your existing system is almost certainly a waste of money as you're probably bottlenecked by your CPU and won't see the benefit of the better graphics card. Until recently I was successfully running FSX with Orbx scenery on a GTX 275 which had only 896MB and was less capable than your existing card. The CPU is king in FSX and that's almost certainly your problem.

Many thanks guys, I will instead look at a new Intel CPU/Mobo combination and then look to add a NVidia card upgrade.

Phil