Sign in to follow this  
maukro_1990

Which autobrake settings for the Boeing 777 and 737-800?

Hi!

I´m a little bit confused about choosing the right autobrake for landing. Can you tell me which autobrake settings real world pilots using during normal landings etc? 

Normally i take these settings: 

777-300ER: FLAPS 30 - AB 2 

737-800     : FLAPS 30 - AB 2

Maybe someone can tell me the right Landing settings for this aircrafts.

Thank you.  

It depends on the length of the runway, and other variables like speed, landing weight etc.

I think TOPCAT/PFPX calculates and gives you an autobrake setting if I remember rightly.

I usually use 2, or 3 if the runway is short and/or I'm particularly heavy.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Go to your manuals.

Boeing 737-800

Qrh

Performance in flight

Normal configuration landing distance.

It's on my list to make a training video on this. Stay tuned

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Wind is also a factor. If there are crosswind gusts, you usually brake faster to minimize the risk of getting blown off the runway. I usually use 1 or 2, and 3+ in windy conditions.

Can you tell me which autobrake settings real world pilots using during normal landings etc? 

What amount of brake pressure do you normally apply when coming to a stop in a car?

"Ah darn...the light up ahead turned red."

Here, you probably won't put too much pressure on the brakes because you don't need to stop in a short distance.

"Oh [snap]! The car right in front of me just slammed on his brakes!!!"

Here, you'll probably put a lot of pressure on the brakes to slow yourself quickly in a short distance.

Same goes for the plane:

Long runway, and I need to get off at the end? Lower AB setting.

Short runway, or I need to exit a runway sooner? Higher AB setting.

Why do people think that aviation is so formulaic? If something were supposed to be set the same way each time, we wouldn't be given an option for multiple, and differing, settings. The only time you wouldn't change your setting is if you were flying into the exact same airport, at that exact same weight, with the exact same weather, every time.

Wind is also a factor. If there are crosswind gusts, you usually brake faster to minimize the risk of getting blown off the runway. I usually use 1 or 2, and 3+ in windy conditions.

Where did you learn that? Wind has very little to do with AB settings apart from head or tail. Crosswind is all spoilers and aileron. Put the mains down firmly. Once the spoilers are up, your crosswind is mostly taken care of, apart from perhaps a little aileron to ensure lift is further spoiled on that side.

EDIT: Full names in the forum please. First and last.

Kyle Rodgers

Also worth noting -- on the 767 and 747, use of Autobrake 1 is generally discouraged (at least at one large operator) because the deceleration rate is so low that the brakes end up cycling on and off a lot, especially in combination with reverse/spoilers etc. Carbon brake wear is directly related to the number of applications, so therefore cycling brakes = lots of wear. This therefore makes Autobrake 2 the lowest "regular" setting, with Autobrake 1 only used at "hot and high" airfields where brake temperatures are an issue.

May not apply to the B777 though.

Folks,

I flew the 737 in real life. Usually, I used max,,, because things can happen at the very last moment and you might need the extra braking. The anti-skid system does a much better job of braking than the pilot can do manually. 

Remember, if you touch the brakes,,,the auto-brakes will deactivate.  Which is what I did 99 percent of the time, and the reversers will slow you down.  Usually, I ended  with little braking all the way to the gate.

I find that the 737, and 777,, are not modeled correctly when it comes to using the reverser's.  In the real air plane the reversers are very effective.

Keep in mind I never knew what the co-pilot might do at the last moment.. It's a very good tool, arm it, if you don't need it turn it off with a light tap on the brake pedals, even if you are using a lower setting....

Jerry Friz, close to ksea

Kyle

Great analogy.

Jerry

Great R/L input. Illuminating to say the least.

Remember, if you touch the brakes,,,the auto-brakes will deactivate.

You have to apply 750-800psi brake force to deactivate. That isn't really a touch or tap.

I find that the 737, and 777,, are not modeled correctly when it comes to using the reverser's.  In the real air plane the reversers are very effective.

...an interesting statement given that the AB will slow the aircraft down at the same rate, with or without the reversers.

Keep in mind I never knew what the co-pilot might do at the last moment.

...also an interesting statement. I'm not sure where the distrust comes from. If you're that leery of the person sitting to your right, it sounds like you should be talking to someone in Stands.

Kyle

Great analogy.

Welcome. See above, though.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

The toe brakes are very sensitive, very little pressure is needed to de-activate, or, allow the 3,000 psi brake pressure to be metered to the brakes.

I never said anything about distrust...If you fly the line for awhile you will see some very strange things, you don't fall asleep at the wheel.

The more reverse thrust you use, the less braking will be applied if you have auto-brakes on, and vice-versa, it's a great system.. I don't see this in the PMDG airplanes. I imagine it would be extremely hard to model. At any rate it is not a big deal.  Overall, the plane is great!

Regards,

Jerry Friz

Ps,

The mechanics used to tell me they could tell by looking at the brakes , who was flying.....

The more reverse thrust you use, the less braking will be applied if you have auto-brakes on, and vice-versa, it's a great system.. I don't see this in the PMDG airplanes. I imagine it would be extremely hard to model. At any rate it is not a big deal.  Overall, the plane is great!

True, but how are you evaluating this? Additionally, the ground friction model in FSX/P3D is famously wrong, so it's pretty difficult to simulate proper braking when the plane being on the ground is effectively braking itself (in the sim, because of said ground friction), really.

Kyle Rodgers

Jerry,

I have to say as a Mechanic,  you would be my least favorite pilot using Autobrakes Max  :P

• Upvote 1

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

I flew the 737 in real life. Usually, I used max,,,

Whatever makes you feel good, but that is a bit like wearing a football helmet and pads at all times because you might fall down.

Ps,

The mechanics used to tell me they could tell by looking at the brakes , who was flying.....

I'm not surprised.

ki9cAAb.jpg