Good day all. 

I am setting up the new system and I am wondering if there is a difference connecting controls (Saitek in my case) directedly to PC or via USB hub? 
Google shows that some people say connecting controls via USB hub may cause loss of functionality. 
Thanks for looking.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

I have all panels (-backlit), 9 FIPs, all controls (Yoke, TPM...) connected via (overall 3) HUBs and they work flawlessly, even networked, btw. I doubt you'll find a PC with that much USB ports anyway.

However, you have to make sure to use quality powered HUBs and even between those there are differences, thus it may be a bit trial and error. I heard reports from people with failing/intermittent HUBs, but also from a few with working quite cheap HUBs. However, they have to be powered in any case. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for the reply.

What does it mean it has to be powered? Does it have to have independent AC power besides PC power?

I have got one from Bestbuy and it says Powered but all I can see is 4 USB ports and a small cord to connect to PC.

Thx

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

It has to have a separate mains adapter, that's what "powered" (as far as I understand it) means. For only a yoke and pedals an unpowered one might be sufficient, but the panels draw quite an amount of power as do the FIPs, which the USB connection usually cannot provide. 

This is a powered HUB

http://www.amazon.com/Protronix-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00REX6DRK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1452796500&sr=8-6&keywords=powered+hub

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have searched for different types of hubs and none of them supports W10 though. I wonder if this is going to be an issues if specs do not show W10 compatibility.

Thx again 

Hi,

as I told you, I have three HUBs, one of them deeply hidden in an (X-TOP) hardware panel (Renasas, if memory serves me right) and two standalone ones (Systec and Ednet) being already a few (~3-4?) years old and all working flawlessly under Win 10.

Of course I can't exclude the very one you are going to buy will not do.

I recall one issue I had initially with this setup, the multi panel being lit too dark. After some experimenting I detected that swapping ports did help. Obviously not all the ports are electrically completely equal (which I read somewhere). At least the Systec and the Ednet are not high-end, though, but rather mean. If I would start over (and they would not work porperly) I would probably exchange them by something better.

Perhaps someone else might chime in with different/similar experiences.

Kind regards, Michael

I noticed in some product page clearly stated "W10 Not supported", so that's why I asked this question. Other than that I have all my questions answered.

Thanks for help Michael.