Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

This is a bad start with Captain Sim

The L1011 is the first plane I purchased from Captain Sim.  I like old planes, and the price of 9.99 was too good to pass up. However, it's been two days since I installed the plane, and still cannot get things right.

First, the installer kept looking for a non existing drive. I had to go into the registry and erase drives that no longer exist. What is odd is that only Captain Sim seemed to have this issue.

Second, I signed up on their forum, but have no idea why I cannot post.

Third, I have the plane starting dark and cold, but with the "battery condition" light on, which prevents the APU from starting.

Hopefully, someone has the answer to number 3 so that I can start and  fly the plane. Else it will go to the Arizona desert for storage.

tony

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The L1011 is the first plane I purchased from Captain Sim.  I like old planes, and the price of 9.99 was too good to pass up. However, it's been two days since I installed the plane, and still cannot get things right.

First, the installer kept looking for a non existing drive. I had to go into the registry and erase drives that no longer exist. What is odd is that only Captain Sim seemed to have this issue.

Second, I signed up on their forum, but have no idea why I cannot post.

Third, I have the plane starting dark and cold, but with the "battery condition" light on, which prevents the APU from starting.

Hopefully, someone has the answer to number 3 so that I can start and  fly the plane. Else it will go to the Arizona desert for storage.

tony

Hopefully you'll find some help over here, I too jumped during their sale of a few planes and having some issues.  Support simply says Windows 10 is the problem, blanket answer I feel and they don't particularly care to find the actual issue.  Maybe not, but either way disappointing.

There is a tutorial somwhere...just do a search and you should be able to grab it. That helped me to get thing airborne. I also think there is a flight provided with the engines already running at KSEA. 

Cheers,

Greg 

Hopefully you'll find some help over here, I too jumped during their sale of a few planes and having some issues.  Support simply says Windows 10 is the problem, blanket answer I feel and they don't particularly care to find the actual issue.  Maybe not, but either way disappointing.

Tony

I also have this plane, and also run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and have had no issues whatsoever.

And if you do a search in the Library here, look for Klaus Schmitzer, you will find an excellent Checklist PDF that should help you get underway.

I have Win 7, so I don't think the OS is the problem.

What I am finding is oddities, such as Middle engine off if I start with "ready for TO at KSEA". 

If I start cold, the aircraft starts with the battery Low condition . 

I don't mind a steep learning curve if the issues are knowledge of the system rather than oddities that are not mentioned anywhere.

Anyway, a few hours ago I managed to get all the engine going, but my joystick brake button and rudders stopped working. 

Thanks for the advice and the leads.

tony

Excellent, Mark. Been looking for that since some other referenced Klaus Schmitzer

I just got this one on sale too.

Download the manuals from Captain Sim 

http://www.captainsim.com/products/l011/manuals.html

Read the manuals first and download the procedural checklist by Tom Beckett above.

Follow the procedural checklist tutorial.

Every step must be followed as stated in the checklist or you will have to reload the aircraft and start over.

I had problems too until I read the manuals and got the checklist. 

It takes some time to learn the procedures.

This is not a "ctrl-E"  add on.

It is a hands on pilots plane, not an auto everything aircraft where the pilot is just an amused passenger babysitting displays and alarms.

The only issues I have so far is the weather radar not working and I wish there was a separate popup for the engineer's panel

The battery condition light does not prevent it from starting. Turn on the Master Power switch on the APU  panel , the battery condition light will be on. Make sure the knob above Master Power switch is set to Min Mode then click the Start button.

I just now did this procedure and the APU started right up

Thanks to all of you. I've gotten this great plane started  and flying already. These were, in my opionion, the first steps in mastering this great classic. Now to navigation....

One more question..... some guages flicker and are hard to read. For example, the autopilot altitude numbers are awfully small and grainy. I am using maximum resolution.

tony

After reading this thread, I got the desire to do a flight in the latest update to the L1011 for P3D V3 ... I'd forgotten just how good this aircraft was/is ... sure the VC is not highest resolution textures (read good on VAS), but it's still very functional and even has a functional weather radar with working tilt and various modes.

The audio for this aircraft is spot on perfect with full surround support.  I have not made use of the INS, but the autopilot works as expected.  Amazing number of animations and working doors.

Just finished a 4 hr flight from NSTU to AYPY (about 2500+ nm, range is about 4000nm), setup GSX to fit the aircraft perfectly (departure and destination).  I had 1GB VAS free after deboarding and shutdown and that was using these setttings: http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_V3.html with two changes, DR = Low and Mesh = 1m ... great time to fly too, check out Google Earth, there is some very nasty weather around NSTU and ASN did an amazing job replicating it.

The aircraft surfaces and windows work "As is" with P3D V3 dynamic reflections.  The aircraft is very FPS and VAS friendly no problem doing long range flights from two large 3rd party airports with graphics settings very high.

Price to value ratio is extremely good even when not on sale.

Cheers, Rob.

I have the plane starting dark and cold, but with the "battery condition" light on, which prevents the APU from starting.

Hi Tony,

I am not sure this is in one of the tutorials (I dug through the manuals), but I recently had problems starting the APU as well. It turned out that it was a fuel problem. The APU is only connected to the two external tanks, which were empty in my case. I tried to use cross feeding, but it didn't help. As soon as I had a little fuel in the external tanks, the APU started without issues.

If you want to know a quick guide on how to start the engines, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFCvy9jyr8

Note, however, that he jumps over a ton of steps, most of which are system tests.

Peter

I just got the weather radar figured out and it does work.

You can read how to turn it on under the Weather Radar post in this forum.

Love this aircraft !

I'll post my video from NSTU to AYPY later tonight ... including a little Avatar walk around at the end.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, i understand your admiration over L1011, however this bird has some serious flaws

- VC is "heavy" on fps

- default and totally unrealistic engines start-up

- sound is dull and totally not on a par with real counterpart

- not even simple version of performance computer was implemented

- default "cone" lights ( no ground reflections, no object brightening effect )

- weather radar is fake ( showing clouds only )

- questionable flight dynamics and ground physics

... to mention few

Rob, i understand your admiration over L1011, however this bird has some serious flaws

- VC is "heavy" on fps

- default and totally unrealistic engines start-up

- not even simple version of performance computer was implemented

Hi Artur,

- VC could be lighter, but is quite acceptable on my (far from high-end) system

- I've never set my foot in the real plane, but I learned to fly the CS 1011 by following an amplified checklist for the real plane that I found on the web. I was amazed how closely one can follow that checklist.

- As far as I understand, CS models the earliest variant of the plane. I would guess they didn't have a performance computer then, but maybe I misunderstand your comment.

Best,

Peter

however this bird has some serious flaws

Have to disagree with you on some of those points ... are you sure you installed Captain Sim L1011 version with P3D V3 installer support (download the latest installer from your CS account)?  Is your DLL.XML setup to point to the cs sound.dll?

Ground physics for taxi seem spot on, however the brakes do seems to work a little too well ... aircraft this big and heavy so I don't "think" it should be able to stop so quickly with just brakes.  Acceleration seems accurate, no 0-180 in 3 seconds.  In flight I tend to agree, the aircraft does seem to slow rapidly even at 80% ... speed seems very sensitive in the 90-100% range but I honestly wouldn't know if that's accurate or not.

I don't know the real engine startup procedure for the L1011, but the CS L1011 will NOT start with just Ctrl + E -- there is at least a process in place that must be followed and CS claim that process was derived from real world L1011 pilots they worked with.

I don't know much about the performance computer for L1011's -- didn't even know the L1011-100 had one to be honest, thought that was 200 to 500 series.

Sound is fantastic, from engine start to spool up and deep rumble ... I have flown on L1011's and the sound was spot on perfect ... suggest you check you DLL.XML and make sure you have the sound.dll entry ... full 3D surround support.

Not sure what you mean by "ground reflections" in reference to lights?  Do you mean ground illumination?

But there again, it's only $30.  I've paid more for that with aircraft that have less features and lower quality animations and 3D model.  So for the price point, I think the CS L1011 is a worthy purchase.

Here's my NTSU to AYPY flight in the L1011:

I see "standard" lights working, the strobes/nav lights don't illuminate the ground but again back to $30 price point.

Video of lights tests:

Internal lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_0VLArqsKM

External lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmc_8JmIDaA

Cheers, Rob.

I had FSX version, although i do not believe P3D and FSX versions are poles apart from each other.

I love L1011 as fantastic piece of engineering and great looking vintage tube liner, but CS version is keeping me not fully satisfied, especially as they call it "proffesional line".

It is good that some of us can enjoy this plane as it is.

Have a nice flights.

Really nice vid Rob. Pago Pago is a great place to fly from. Is the other airport, AYPY, an Orbx one as well?

Hi Paul,

Yes both Orbx Airport for the FTX Global package.  I posted VAS somewhere in that video ... but basically started around 2.8 GB VAS used peaked at around 2.9 GB then dropped to 2.6 GB over the ocean then back up to 2.9 GB after landing at AYPY and doing FSDT GSX services and a quickie AVATAR guy inspection of the rear and left engine - I was get intermittent ENG VIB FLTR PRESS warning on engine 1 and 2).  I don't really understand what was triggering it ... my first thought was ice, but turning on the engine de-icers ... 2nd thought was just too much throttle ... but never found out what the trigger was for the warning ... manual doesn't say a heck of a lot about it "Vibration exceeds 2.5 units, or..."   or what?

My fuel calcs were way off, head wind I hadn't account for and perhaps I was pushing cruise speed (around 500-519 kts GS) but aircraft is supposed to cruise at Mach 0.90 ... ceiling is rather low FL360.

Cheers, Rob.

I got this aircraft last week for 10 bucks.

I definitely have no FPS drop issues in the VC  and my PC is almost 6 years old 2.8GHZ dual core with a GTX 470 FERMI and 6gigs ddr3 1333 Ram.

For 10 dollars and only another 10 to add the freighter package I have 0 complaints.

Thanks Rob,,I found out that  is the Orbx airport scenery done by the same team that did Pago Pago so it must be great.

How long a flight is that and how did you navigate with the 1011 ?

Sign in to follow this