What is the best way to set up 3 monitors given the following options:

A.Nvidia surround ( significant distortion on the both the left and right panel ) Center panel is good

or 

B.Triple head to go.... ( i dont own this ) but before i purchase one I wonder if i will get the same side distortion.

What is the preference

Currently I have 2 98oti cards.. three similar monitors ... asus at 2560x1440 rez

What would everyone recommend as the best to get realistic - non-distorted views

Peter

If the distortion caused by using the viewing aspect needed for a single ultra widescreen window I don't think a 3HTG will fix that.  Using three view windows in FSX/P3D, each tuned for the viewing angle desired for the monitor to which it's docked, should solve this problem, though even then you might find it looks somewhat weird unless you angle the side monitors accordingly.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

B.Triple head to go.... ( i dont own this ) but before i purchase one I wonder if i will get the same side distortion.

Yes, the distortion will be the same.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes, the distortion will be the same.

gb.

If the distortion caused by using the viewing aspect needed for a single ultra widescreen window I don't think a 3HTG will fix that.  Using three view windows in FSX/P3D, each tuned for the viewing angle desired for the monitor to which it's docked, should solve this problem, though even then you might find it looks somewhat weird unless you angle the side monitors accordingly.

Interesting,,,, how would you tune the monitors individually if the image is actually one large image spread over three monitors. Maybe you are suggesting that i create three different windowed views and set each one separately . I think a windowed solution may be a Frame Rate killer..Please provide further info Pete

Interesting,,,, how would you tune the monitors individually if the image is actually one large image spread over three monitors. Maybe you are suggesting that i create three different windowed views and set each one separately . I think a windowed solution may be a Frame Rate killer..Please provide further info Pete

Yes he means three different windowed views.

Yes a frame rate killer but you have x2 980ti so maybe not so much for you.

Also a pain keeping the three views linked to move as one when you pan.

Also horizon will be bent when you fly other than straight and level.

What sim are you using?

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Gboz... I hate to admit it but im running fsx-accel, fsx-se p3d v2 and 3

all different platforms ,,,,,, all being used for different things

I admit it..... Im a junkie...

I experimented tonight

Best result

p3d v2   ......nvidia surround. / 3 screens stretched at max res. ( i card not two )

still weird but sort of works.

very cool feeling over a single screen.... just odd on the two side panels.

Pete

Gboz... I hate to admit it but im running fsx-accel, fsx-se p3d v2 and 3

all different platforms ,,,,,, all being used for different things

I admit it..... Im a junkie..

Pete

Well plenty of company here then. :)

You might consider portrait orientation for the Surround setup.

Less apparent distortion but the bevels are somehow much more noticeable.

gb.

You might consider portrait orientation for the Surround setup.

This makes for a really nice virtual cockpit, though you'll need a specialized, and costly, huge monitor stand to do this.  Consider getting a TrackIR if you don't already have one.  It will help minimize the distraction of the distortion on the side monitors since they will always be the periphery of your view; one of my flying buddies uses this setup and loves it.  Beware there is a learning curve with a TIR and some never can get use to it, but when you do as I have years ago, you are forever addicted to using it.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)