Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Windows 10 Upgrade Or Stay......

I would never upgrade a computer to a new version of windows. I would stay with the original version that came on the system. Your next system will be the best way to get to a new windows version. The hardware components were chosen to work together with a specific version of windows. There is nothing to be gained trying to catch the future with old tools.

My PC is only two years old - not really a slouchy machine.    But that generally does make sense, I agree.

Erich,

I have a total of 4 Windows computers. 1 for FSX, 1 for FSX related software like Project Magenta and EFB, my laptop on which I'm writing this and finally, my Samsung netbook for my weather station. All bar the Samsung run W7. The Samsung runs XP and has been powered up more or less continuously since April 2009!

With any new OS there is a learning curve. I'm still learning about 7 so I certainly don't need the hassle of 10 whether it's free or not. 7 is supported for another 4 years so there's certainly no rush to change for me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I would never upgrade a computer to a new version of windows. I would stay with the original version that came on the system. Your next system will be the best way to get to a new windows version. The hardware components were chosen to work together with a specific version of windows. There is nothing to be gained trying to catch the future with old tools.

What about users whose systems are in continuos "evolution" and don't buy a "new" system every X years and through away the old one?

I bought my system new in 2010 but have been improving it since. Except for the CPU, almost all other components have been replaced.

With any new OS there is a learning curve. I'm still learning about 7 so I certainly don't need the hassle of 10 whether it's free or not. 7 is supported for another 4 years so there's certainly no rush to change for me.

Exactly! I'm feeling like nowadays they are releasing a new OS every 2 years or less, there's no time for the OS to "settle" before the next one comes out.

A new OS should be like a new car model: 7 to 10 year lifespan with a mid-life "facelift" or the like. And after ceasing "production", the old OS should be supported for at least the full life of the new one. BTW, which OS am I describing here? XP, the best OS by Microsoft ever.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Microsoft claims that this will be the last upgrade.  Any subsequent changes to the OS will come in the form of updates, not too dissimilar from Windows Updates that we all get occasionally (unless it's Patch Tuesday).  They say 10 is here to stay, and that remains to be seen, but I can attest that 10 is pretty stable, at least on my machine, which is going on a year old, but has relatively current hardware.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Beware what happened surreptitiously to 2 of my friends in abroad. They had a Windows7 desktop and a laptop, and despite selecting No when offered the Windows 10 Upgrade prompt, leaving their devices on with Windows Updates on as a default, they discovered overnight their devices had silently upgraded to Windows 10. SO much for Microsoft's subtle prompting and cajoling.

XP, the best OS by Microsoft ever

You could not have uttered a truer word. An OS the end-user was in total control off, not Microsoft back in Redmond!

Some of the issues I've had with Windows 10:

1.  My Saitek USB Throttle quadrants (if you have 2 or more) ID's get swapped around on boot so P3D gets confused

2.  My GoFlight modules required some registry hacking in order to get them to work correctly

3.  nVidia drivers when Shadow turned ON with 3 X monitors would cause Windows Search to crash and very unresponsive mouse movement

4.  All window "edges" take a while to detect my mouse over position and change to the appropriate expand window arrow (probably the "touch" code causing this delay even though I don't have a touch monitor)

5.  Windows update keeps failing to install an HP printer driver (known issue that has NOT been resolved)

6.  Some windows updates are impossible to turn off, even with my Enterprise version (even with policy settings, don't know how IT depts are large corps get around this?)

I've seen no performance benefit in P3D with Windows 10.  However, Windows 10 has been slowly gaining market share (currently at 13%) month by month ... there is a big Windows 10 update due out this summer that is supposed to address some core issues.  So far I've been able to work around most of the problems with the exception of #5.

I've found DX12 titles under Windows 10 to be less than the hype, I'm hoping more DX12 titles will surface and provide a better showcase for DX12, but so far I'm not that impressed.

Cheers, Rob.

5.  Windows update keeps failing to install an HP printer driver (known issue that has NOT been resolved)

6.  Some windows updates are impossible to turn off, even with my Enterprise version (even with policy settings, don't know how IT depts are large corps get around this?)

5. Right click start button, click "System", click "Advanced system settings" on the left, click the "Hardware" tab, click "Device Installation Settings", and check "No". This stopped W.U. from installing a non-existent Canon driver on my computer.

6. Download this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter and choose the updates you don't want installed.

Thanks Diego,

Unfortunately I do have other hardware that I might want to get updated when updates are available, so I can't turn that option off.  But as indicated in your link "temporarily" ... even with hidden updates, they come back to life.  I'm hoping how Windows 10 updates work is one of those core items that will get fixed this summer.

Cheers, Rob.

.. does it make sense to just upgrade my system with FSX and all HW installed, (easy life), or should I start from scratch/ fresh (tidious process) ????

Cheers     

This is a great thread, but took me a while to read through.  Some helpful info.  Thanks for this.

I have just bought a high end gaming system i7-1600k, Z170K, GTX 970, G.Skill RAM etc.

I specifically asked the builders to put in Win7 Pro because I had heard about various issues with Win10.  And I have Win7 now, and everything works superior in my FSX. I will be adding P3D v3+ when the new machine arrives and will be doing a new clean install of my FSX.  FSX and P3D will be on their own dedicated drives.

My son has Win10, I don't like the interface for non touch screen and found I had to fumble around trying to find how to do this and that.

The builders mentioned that new gaming machines were all moving to DX12 so I should consider Win10.

I have advised them to stick with my Win7 Pro order, which as far as I know MS has said they will support until 2020, which gives me four more years....and that in the future, whatever that might be, I can always make the move to Win10 and deal with any issues later.

Based upon what I have read, I'm sticking with Win7 for now.

DX12 doesn't impact me at this time but may in the future.

My last system which is 7 years old is an i7920, GTX260 etc. I subscribe to buying a new computer that will last for many years and then I do a wholesale renew.  I do not buy into having to get the latest this or that just when it comes out.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3